Fight Night Santiago : Demian Maia - "I believe in my skills"

I would still pick Usman and very confidently

We'll see how well Usman's 0% TDD holds up. Maia has beaten enough wrestlers before for me not to count him out.

The short notice is a bitch though.

Short promo on this weekends headliner, Maia.

No question he is one of the highest skilled BJJ guys to ever step foot in the Octagon.

But this is a tough match-up for him. Very short notice, against a physical specimen in Usman, who has very solid wrestling, and a tough match-up for anyone in the division.

Still, will be rooting for Maia to pull off some of his BJJ wizardry, one last time.

Couldn't agree with you more.

I like maia, I really do. But he's out matched here. Do I think he can win...yes. Do I think he will win? Nah. I hate it but this is a young guy whose style is super dominant. I hope maia can pull it out but I wouldn't bank on it.

LOL he sees their bjj as weakness in everyone..
Doesn't mean he can win
basically very true. Maia's ability to finish once he gets the fight to ground is one of the best in mma history. But he does seem to struggle against solid wrestlers.

Tyron wrote the blueprint on how to beat him, Colby followed it and now Usman will try the same. That aside, I could see Maia actually winning after getting beat up a bit, by jumping guard on him and Usman thinking he will GnP him out only to get triangled or something. The nice thing about BJJ is it's a threat for the entirety of a 25 minute fight even if you lost the other 24 minutes so having 5 rounds to make something happen helps Maia's chances.

We'll see how well Usman's 0% TDD holds up. Maia has beaten enough wrestlers before for me not to count him out.

The short notice is a bitch though.

I hate how this thread is making me seem like a Usman fan

I fucking hate him

But if masvidal. Colby and Tyron and not get submitted by Maia
Usman will manage too

One round of gas from Maia in the first will all be spent throwing himself at Usman and then Usman will piece him up
And I hate myself for typing that

I hate how this thread is making me seem like a Usman fan

I fucking hate him

But if masvidal. Colby and Tyron and not get submitted by Maia
Usman will manage too

One round of gas from Maia in the first will all be spent throwing himself at Usman and then Usman will piece him up
And I hate myself for typing that

I'm picking Usman too, but I think Maia is a very live dog here, even on short notice. Usman couldn't finish short notice meek for crying out loud, and meek was outstriking him while winging one punch at a time. That fight showed me that Usman sucks going backwards, and Maia pretty much always pressures until he gasses.

I have hope for Maia in the first two rounds, but that's about it. I hope he gets the win.

I'm picking Usman too, but I think Maia is a very live dog here, even on short notice. Usman couldn't finish short notice meek for crying out loud, and meek was outstriking him while winging one punch at a time. That fight showed me that Usman sucks going backwards, and Maia pretty much always pressures until he gasses.

I have hope for Maia in the first two rounds, but that's about it. I hope he gets the win.

Here's to hoping Maia gets on his back
In the first two minutes
<GinJuice>

I like Maia, he's as classy a fighter as the MMA world has had, but I think this fight is going to look alot like Woodley/Maia. Usman will keep distance and potshot while easily defending all takedown attempts.

Back