Fighters who had overrated punching power and were exposed

How could I forgot Bethe "The KO Artist" Correia... Rogan hyped her as the female version of Julian Jackson before the Ronda fight.
He really said that?
He said that she has KO power in both hands or something like that.
The two of you better like this post given that I had to go back into the trenches and brave the Ronda Rousey hurricane of hype in order to find the Joe Rogan quote.

"Bethe Correira has tools. She's got skills. And she's got power. And if this becomes a stand-up fight, she will have an advantage."

Source; timestamped.

Unsurprisingly, Rogan completely backtracked on Correira; also timestamped.

Dan Henderson. Couldn't even ko Bisping for a second time but manlet Gastelum pieced him up.

I remember Eddie Alvarez saying after his loss that what surprised him wasn't Conor's power, but his speed and accuracy.

Conor lures fighters into a false sense of security with his pillow fists. Then he catches them with precise shots when they rush in and get too comfortable. The punches that they don't see coming hurt the most and Conor is very accurate. Fair play to him, he figured out the MMA striking well, but that is never going to work in boxing, that's why in boxing his pillowfisted punches were exposed by someone who just stood in front of him and made him work and didn't give him much space for counters.

Conor doesn't have that scary imposing jab that the real monster punchers usually have. When you face a big puncher, you usually notice his power the first time he even grazes you with a light jab. It's like "wow I don't even want to know what his right hand is like" and then you back off and box from distance. Conor however didn't have that kind of power that would get Floyd to respect him, that's why Floyd just walked forward. If Conor had real power, Floyd would box very differently.

The two of you better like this post given that I had to go back into the trenches and brave the Ronda Rousey hurricane of hype in order to find the Joe Rogan quote.

"Bethe Correira has tools. She's got skills. And she's got power. And if this becomes a stand-up fight, she will have an advantage."

Source; timestamped.

Unsurprisingly, Rogan completely backtracked on Correira; also timestamped.

LOL thanks for that. It's a nice piece of history for nostalgia. The days of Ronda hype were something very bizarre.

About 99.99% of the roster. The vast majority of knockouts in MMA happen due to fighters having poor defense technique, unlike in boxing

It's not poor defensive technique, you just can't wear giant gloves that cover your entire head like in boxing. It's also a lot harder avoiding punches, knees, kicks, elbows and take downs than it is defending against just punches.

They have been asked, and neither thinks conor hits hard
Eddie on his fight with Conor:
“I got punched pretty hard one minute into the fight. There isn’t anything to make sense of." So obviously Eddie thinks Conor can at least punch "pretty hard".

OK, so let's hear from Aldo then:
IMG_8957.PNG "He has soap hands. He is always punching and nobody ever felt his punches. With me, they put a skateboard there for me to slip."

Seems legit, Aldo is obviously being completely honest here and is not bitter in the slightest. Or maybe he was hit so hard he can't remember?

TL;DR - Conor hits hard.

Eddie on his fight with Conor:
“I got punched pretty hard one minute into the fight. There isn’t anything to make sense of." So obviously Eddie thinks Conor can at least punch "pretty hard".

OK, so let's hear from Aldo then:
View attachment 342341 "He has soap hands. He is always punching and nobody ever felt his punches. With me, they put a skateboard there for me to slip."

Seems legit, Aldo is obviously being completely honest here and is not bitter in the slightest. Or maybe he was hit so hard he can't remember?

TL;DR - Conor hits hard.
So why didn't he use that monsterous power on FLoyd?

TL;DR - Conor hits hard.

The most cautious fighter of this age, Floyd Mayweather, the epitome of safety first approach, simply walked forward against Conor and literally laughed at the lack of his punching power.

So why didn't he use that monsterous power on FLoyd?
Didn't say monstrous power. Don't put words in my mouth.

It's pretty clear that elite boxers punch harder than good MMA strikers, and the gloves will make a difference too. Does not mean Conor doesn't hit hard.

There's nothing that casuals overrate more in fighting than "power". They see some new up and coming guy knock out few guys in a row and already go on and on about his supposed "power" that could KO anybody and see these guys as elite based on their power alone.

Then when these supposed power punchers face a solid opponent with a solid chin and defense, it turns out that their power wasn't anything special.

Francis Ngannou is a great example of that. They made him out to be some monster power puncher and even brought up some punching machine stats in the UFC institute. He knocked out two notoriously chinny guys and was suddenly the favorite against the HW champ Stipe Miočić based on his punching power alone, despite displaying obvious flaws in technique and never having his grappling and cardio tested.

When he finally fought Stipe his power turned out to be nothing special, he connected on Stipe few times but it didn't have much effect at all.

Any similar examples of fighters whose punching power was massively overrated?

Sokodjou

Accuracy. I think most fighters who reach the top have fairly good grasp of the fundamentals. What really separates them is the ability to place the shot.

The most cautious fighter of this age, Floyd Mayweather, the epitome of safety first approach, simply walked forward against Conor and literally laughed at the lack of his punching power.
Floyd did what he nearly always does at the start of his fights and spent a couple of rounds examining Conor. He worked out that Conor wasn't going to hit him cleanly, especially after Conor started to slow a little. Conor was never going to hit Floyd cleanly after the fifth round, so Flody was pretty comfortable doing whatever he wanted.

That has more to do with Conor's lack of stamina and the fact that Conor fights men who have different stances and movement to Floyd. His attack was always going to be rudimentary for a pure boxing match. MMA fighters can't fight like Flody does (well nobody really can, but you know what I mean) because of the additional means of attack which can be used in MMA.

I think what you mean, TS, is fighters who are/were overrated BECAUSE of their punching power, not that their power in itself is overrated. Anybody who doesn't believe Rumble and Ngannou are some of the hardest hitters in the world (in their respective weight classes) is a moron. But it's easy for a guy to rack up a few spectacular ko wins, and have all the casuals and bandwagoners swearing they're the next big thing. Fact is, skillset is and always will be the most important thing in mma, followed very closely by fight IQ and cardio. Power is fantastic and a chin is just as great, but neither necessarily make or break a fighter, assuming they have the skills and IQ to circumvent it.

Didn't say monstrous power. Don't put words in my mouth.

It's pretty clear that elite boxers punch harder than good MMA strikers, and the gloves will make a difference too. Does not mean Conor doesn't hit hard.
you said hard, but floyd didnt feel shit.

Back