Fighters who started late and made it to the top

I started Muay Thai at 16, but have done martial arts since i was 6. I'm in my late 20s now, have no desire to even try make it to the top (or bottom, or middle) cause i have a comfortable career lol.

I think for most people after age 18 or so the legs and hips start to get resistant to learning kicks and getting them to a high skill level. It depends on the person though. At least that's my experience watching older people try to learn at the gym.

That's one reason i think it may be easier to be a good pro boxer (even without amateur experience) while starting in your 20's than Muay Thai.

But at the same time i think that if someone were to take really good care of their body and take advantage of modern technology/training/nutrition, you could get far even starting at an older age.

Look at kevin ross, he started when he was 22 or something, not a top guy but easy top 15 & a respected name.

Shit look at bernard hopkins (yes i know he didn't start late, but he's fucking ancient for a pro boxer)

Also, 13+ is fairly old for a Thai to start.

Suprised no ones mentioned old Matt Skelton, I believe he was in his 20s when he started MT and then moved to boxing at 35 and didn't do too badly for himself in either sport.

Andy Hug had his first K1 bout at age of 29 and he won the K1 GP, he had karate background.

I don't know exactly when Andy Ristie started but he's 30 and only really broke out onto the scene last year.

Look at kevin ross, he started when he was 22 or something, not a top guy but easy top 15 & a respected name.

I like to watch Ross fight, but top 15? He pretty much just lost to a complete no name and doesn't have a big win on his resume.

Last edited:
I like to watch Ross fight, but top 15? He pretty much just lost to a complete no name and doesn't have a big win on his resume.

I enjoy watching Ross fight as well and he's a great representative of American muay thai. But to call him top 15 is kind of a joke.

I'm reminded of Kozo Takeda, I believe he was in his early 20's when he began, he added snka and rajadamnern welterweight titles to his name - pretty impressive when he started late by usual standards.

Another guy who comes to mind was Hug although he started karate very early, he was 29 edging 30 when he started K1. I'm sure there are others but I can't really remember who else.

Back