Fighters you realized you under appreciated

Kertol

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
There are some fighters I realized I underappreciated during their careers and either because of retirement or because of their careers winding down it became obvious to me. I'm sure the rest of sherdog can relate.
Here are a few:

Carlos Condit- I know he is a fan favorite but for some reason I was never such a big fan. Looking back, he is a total bad ass and a stand up guy. He has admitted that his favorite fighter is probably GSP which is rare for a fighter to admit to if they lost to them in the past. This shows what kind of guy Condit is. No grudges pure class.

Jose Aldo- His overall antics towards Mendes before both of the fights as well as him grabbing the cage in the first fight rubbed me the wrong way. Jose Aldo was never my friend. But years after he has shown to be a true martial artist and an overall good guy. His career accomplishments are a bit underrated nowadays.

BJ Penn- Another guy I didn't dislike but at the same time was never a fan. Dude was a tough SOB and arguably the best talent to ever fight in the UFC to this day. Balls of steel. He was just a bit lazy at times (similar to Shogun but Shogun wasn't as skilled). His brutalization of Diego Sanchez was one of the most impressive performances I ever seen.

Francisco Trinaldo
Rani Yaya
Raphael Assuncao

Also, when I saw Blaydes get lit up by Francis Ngnnauo I didn’t think much of him, now look at him. He will fight for a title soon.

Loved me some Chris Lytle. Always brought it, had a sick submission game and a helluva chin. He also fought fires in his spare time.

If he just had better wrestling...

Jake Shields.
Miss that K-1 level striking.

<2>

Mark Munoz always had exciting fights and vicious GnP.

Love the thread idea, can't think of anything to add atm, but your list is blasphemous TS!

CM PUNK. Dude is a savage. Why didn't I see it before. I miss him already.

Rampage

Recently been rewatching old fights and prime Page was an absolute monster that would easily still be a top 3 lhw today

There are some fighters I realized I underappreciated during their careers and either because of retirement or because of their careers winding down it became obvious to me. I'm sure the rest of sherdog can relate.
Here are a few:

Carlos Condit- I know he is a fan favorite but for some reason I was never such a big fan. Looking back, he is a total bad ass and a stand up guy. He has admitted that his favorite fighter is probably GSP which is rare for a fighter to admit to if they lost to them in the past. This shows what kind of guy Condit is. No grudges pure class.

Jose Aldo- His overall antics towards Mendes before both of the fights as well as him grabbing the cage in the first fight rubbed me the wrong way. Jose Aldo was never my friend. But years after he has shown to be a true martial artist and an overall good guy. His career accomplishments are a bit underrated nowadays.

BJ Penn- Another guy I didn't dislike but at the same time was never a fan. Dude was a tough SOB and arguably the best talent to ever fight in the UFC to this day. Balls of steel. He was just a bit lazy at times (similar to Shogun but Shogun wasn't as skilled). His brutalization of Diego Sanchez was one of the most impressive performances I ever seen.
maybe Hughes...

one of the few wrestlers who cared about workin´on his submission arsenal...

To add:

Jake Shields and Jon Fitch- A lot of fans don't like him because they think they are boring fighters but the guys have serious skills.

Mighty Mouse- Sometimes it takes a fighter to lose in order to appreciate their accomplishments. A no bs kind of guy to. Show up make weight & fight.

I'll throw some Ace in there with a dash of former LHW potential GOATs in Wanderlei Silva and Chuck Liddell

Always like Fedor but became a big fan after he announced his retirement and took a couple losses, strangely enough.

Cub Swanson. He's always rubbed me the wrong way, but his fights are usually a lot of fun.

Bendo
Jon Fitch
Lytle
Stephens
Dom Cruz

Cub Swanson, I never really liked him, but he fights well.
Carlos Condit
Donald Cerrone

Rampage

Recently been rewatching old fights and prime Page was an absolute monster that would easily still be a top 3 lhw today
would he beat gustaffson?
I believe 100% yes.
would he beat rumble though? damn that would have been fireworks. leaning towards rumble.
dc - definitely not. terrible matchup for page.
jones- in rampage's prime when he was juiced? it would be close but probably a decision loss
he beats everyone else.

Back