Filipino Food, A question...

fourtyounce48

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
What are people perception of Filipino food? Why hasn't it caught on the way other Asian cuisines has in the US?

Andrew Zimmern has mentioned that he believes Filipino cuisine is the next big thing for the US food scene. Having grown up eating Filipino dishes and believing that it does have a lot to offer I don't see this happening.

As much as I love my culture's food it's not the most sophisticated cuisine. I liken it to soul food of the south. It's comfort food. I noticed many restaurants trying to "elevate" it by trying to make it fancy food. I think this is the wrong approach. It's not meant to be eaten this way. To truly elevate a filipino dish, all that's truly needed would be to use the best ingredients possible.

I like lumpia
Never had anything else
What non-seafood dish would you recommend to someone thats guaranteed to knock their socks off?

Their meals seem to consist of mostly chicken, beef, egg and rice. Not really a big fan, had Adobo, kar kare sp?, Chicharr

I don't know, something about purple food coloring throws me off.

delish

3e59c6c28d3ba0f9_m.jpg

images

I like lumpia
Never had anything else
What non-seafood dish would you recommend to someone thats guaranteed to knock their socks off?

Adobo, lechon kawali, cebu lechon, crispy pata, sisig, kare kare (ox tail part & "tuwalya" part), bicol express (chilies in coconut milk), sinigang, tocino, dinuguan with puto.

Lol spot on. I feel Filipino food is up to par with Soul food.

I like lumpia
Never had anything else

Good gateway dishes would include any of the various BBQ meats typically skewered on a stick.

Pansit (noodles) dishes like bihon.

Soups dishes like nilaga or sinigang.

I'm afraid there's not really anything I would consider knock off type dish. Filipino is comfort food which one really has to be raised on to really appreciate I'm afraid.

Why hasn't it caught on the way other Asian cuisines has in the US?
It's family style food you largely eat with your hands, right? It's pretty close to Vietnamese but a bit more intense with the exotic qualities. Plus Filipinos tend not to open restaurants but rather delve into accounting and nursing.

It's family style food you largely eat with your hands, right? It's pretty close to Vietnamese but a bit more intense with the exotic qualities. Plus Filipinos tend not to open restaurants but rather delve into accounting and nursing.

You can eat with your hands or with a spoon and fork.

It's like Vietnamese food in the same way that all asian food has Chinese influences. Meaning it's not really like vietnamese food. Vietnamese food is more herbaceous. The predominant flavors/seasonings are soy sauce, black pepper, fish sauce, vinegar, sour fruit, ginger, garlic, coconut milk.

There are restaurants but the majority are pretty much fast food steam table joints that are really hit and miss.

Most restaurants cater to other Filipinos which often times use subpar ingredients sacrificing quality over overhead. It's the typical short sighted view.

It's a mix of Malay, Spanish, Chinese, and American cuisine. Preparation is mostly one-pot and under an hour and is usually a pair of contrasting tastes or a combination of sweet, salty, and sour. Most are paired with rice, so if you were not fond of rice meals to start chances are you won't be enjoying it that much without it.

Spent three weeks there and never found anything that I liked.

Also, balut is terrible.

The only thing I miss about my ex gf is Filipino food.

It's a mix of Malay, Spanish, Chinese, and American cuisine. Preparation is mostly one-pot and under an hour and is usually a pair of contrasting tastes or a combination of sweet, salty, and sour. Most are paired with rice, so if you were not fond of rice meals to start chances are you won't be enjoying it that much without it.

Somewhat similar to New Orleans/cajun/creole cooking except influences.

Back