Filipino Food, A question...

That's like canned food? i see the boneless bangus promoted on tv. i dont know. I hate all boned foods, and my wife loves that shit. We try to buy lapu-lapu, as it's much easier to disect, but I fecked up at the eatery and bought bangus.
Kek.

images

You could also pay a small fee to have the bangus deboned at the wet market.

ha...I'm trying to get into Korean food, but like you say, it's something that locals appreciate best. Korean restos are blowing up here in Cebu. I had some banchan recently, and honestly it was just very cold, salty, and bitter. lol
Think of banchan as atchara or pickles. They're there to complement the main meal. You need to have something fatty and greasy.

Westerners here joke that Korean food is basically various vegetables or meat smothered in spicy sauce, salt, or soy sauce. And it's kind of true.
I met a Korean who said she got sick of food in Vietnam because it was basically all the same shit, I had to laugh in her face.
yeah, Americans are idiots abroad...basically the civilized version of mainland chinese..lol...unfortunately, Asians tend to brand us all the same, and even making a humanitarian effort to save a country is no different than being a sexpat pedophile...edit: u can seriously lose your mind here

Last edited:
Daduq is that
hahahahahhahahahahah....you must be stupid to not appreciate the greatness of pilipino food...it's best in all world..ur just dumb poreigner.

Sadly, that's the attitude here...and why the country fails at food, tourism (and everything, really), compared to other countries nearby.

I'm only critical of Philippines because I've lived here since 2010, have raise a family here, and I'm invested in the country becoming a success.

<{1-7}>

Last edited:
It’s common for people to be prideful of their cultures food. It doesn’t mean it will translate well globally. We have everything in NYC....from Thai, to Vietnamese, Korean BBQ, Japanese, Region specific Chinese, Mongolian.....hell I have seen Asian places just sell soup. But Philippino I rarely see.

"invested in the country becoming a success"

{<jordan}

Last edited:
That's how Koreans are with their food. They try very hard to promote their food to the rest of the world not realizing maybe spicy fermented cabbage isn't very appealing to most people. I like Korean food because I grew up with it but from an outside perspective, it's not as refined and there are far better places for food in Asia. That's the same feeling I got about the Philippines. The food wasn't bad, but it wasn't mind blowing like Vietnam or Japan.
Went to République and had the kimchi fried rice. It didn’t taste like kimchi fried rice. My friend and I both wanted a real kimchi fried rice from an ajjumma. Lol

philippines take pride to a whole nother level.
There's a whole lot of insecurity with the culture. You don't see it on the forum because anyone with an interest in MMA is probably a decent person, or at least open-minded. Not sure how much you interact with the common Thai outside of the tourist region, but they are probably similar to Filipinos. I've heard the women there are very cold and heartless....maybe Filipinas fake it better...haha. Who knows.

What are people perception of Filipino food? Why hasn't it caught on the way other Asian cuisines has in the US?

Andrew Zimmern has mentioned that he believes Filipino cuisine is the next big thing for the US food scene. Having grown up eating Filipino dishes and believing that it does have a lot to offer I don't see this happening.

As much as I love my culture's food it's not the most sophisticated cuisine. I liken it to soul food of the south. It's comfort food. I noticed many restaurants trying to "elevate" it by trying to make it fancy food. I think this is the wrong approach. It's not meant to be eaten this way. To truly elevate a filipino dish, all that's truly needed would be to use the best ingredients possible.
Id argue that it hasnt caught on because the flavors are too sophisticated. As someone who eats hella lots of dinuguan its because the flavors are earthy. Its not the food, its American culture and the Americanization of other Asian foods. Fish sauce, plus sour and spicy, its not an American flavor palette. Also, and this is a total knock on what other Asian cultures have allowed, Filipino culture has refused to Americanize their food. I love that about Filipino food. Most all other Asian cuisine is dumbed WAY DOWN! Sushi in this country is shitty for the most part, Thai food is a joke, Chinese especially Canton, dont get me started. There are restaurants with the name Szechuan all over the US yet rarely do you get Szechuan food. Even Korean now, way dumbed down. The chan is always some BS no fish heads, no dried fish roe, no dried fish. Its potato salad like shitty kimchi and thats about it.

There's a whole lot of insecurity with the culture. You don't see it on the forum because anyone with an interest in MMA is probably a decent person, or at least open-minded. Not sure how much you interact with the common Thai outside of the tourist region, but they are probably similar to Filipinos. I've heard the women there are very cold and heartless....maybe Filipinas fake it better...haha. Who knows.

Thais and Philipinos/Filipinas are worlds apart culturally in my experience. The pride/insecurity of Philippines is 100x that of Thailand. A lot of Thais are actually very critical of their country. Even when comparing the most rural thai to an educated filipina working in SG.

I think Philippines has much better work ethic, wayyyy better English/Service skill. They will dominate ASEAN once they start opening it up for jobs abroad. I know a lot of business owners in BKK and they would all gladly hire Philippino staff over Thais if they could do it legally and easily.

Cold and heartless applies to the hookers, not the real girls. Although a lot of people only interact with hookers or have superficial relationships with poor girls working service jobs, so I can understand how they can be 'cold and heartless' lol.

Id argue that it hasnt caught on because the flavors are too sophisticated. As someone who eats hella lots of dinuguan its because the flavors are earthy. Its not the food, its American culture and the Americanization of other Asian foods. Fish sauce, plus sour and spicy, its not an American flavor palette. Also, and this is a total knock on what other Asian cultures have allowed, Filipino culture has refused to Americanize their food. I love that about Filipino food. Most all other Asian cuisine is dumbed WAY DOWN! Sushi in this country is shitty for the most part, Thai food is a joke, Chinese especially Canton, dont get me started. There are restaurants with the name Szechuan all over the US yet rarely do you get Szechuan food. Even Korean now, way dumbed down. The chan is always some BS no fish heads, no dried fish roe, no dried fish. Its potato salad like shitty kimchi and thats about it.
No fish eyes? that's bullshit.

Thais and Philipinos/Filipinas are worlds apart culturally in my experience. The pride/insecurity of Philippines is 100x that of Thailand. A lot of Thais are actually very critical of their country. Even when comparing the most rural thai to an educated filipina working in SG.

I think Philippines has much better work ethic, wayyyy better English/Service skill. They will dominate ASEAN once they start opening it up for jobs abroad. I know a lot of business owners in BKK and they would all gladly hire Philippino staff over Thais if they could do it legally and easily.

Cold and heartless applies to the hookers, not the real girls. Although a lot of people only interact with hookers or have superficial relationships with poor girls working service jobs, so I can understand how they can be 'cold and heartless' lol.
I've never been to thailand, so that's just what everyone posts on thaivisa.....maybe you're right, and the filipina hookers do a better job of pretending to be a real gf. IDK. But I know a lot of expats take their Filipina wife to Thailand, because it's just a better country.

I've never been to thailand, so that's just what everyone posts on thaivisa.....maybe you're right, and the filipina hookers do a better job of pretending to be a real gf. IDK. But I know a lot of expats take their Filipina wife to Thailand, because it's just a better country.

Thai Visa is full of old sexpats and sex tourists. Good for a laugh sometimes.

They are living in their own version of Thailand. I live around quite a few of these guys now as I moved to a condo in the middle of the red light area full of them.

Thailand has a lot more opportunity for work, better living standard, better food, safer, etc I expect Philippines to crush Thailand's job market with ASEAN. Thais are notoriously lazy workers and typically have poor english and service skills. Philippines could clean up all the retail / service / nursing etc jobs.

Americanize?!?!?! C'mon admit it...you love hotdogs in your spaghetti! lol

Back