Film Genre Politics

Admittedly the fight scenes are complete garbage and Bale's Batman is abysmal. I could see those two things dragging down the film for someone. But like most people I just really liked The Joker as portrayed by Ledger. When rewatching the film I've also come to appreciate Gary Oldman's performance as Gordan. As a kid Gordan was one of my favorite Batman characters and Oldman does him justice.
What I think drags down the Nolan trilogy (and most of Nolan's films really) is how much exposition there is and how heavy handed said exposition is. I appreciate that he delves into complicated concepts which are extremely hard to flesh out but he does that with all the subtlety of a sledgehammer murder. It can be downright infuriating with the ammount of scenes dedicated to one character explaining the plot to someone.

He strikes me as the kind of filmmaker who likes to tread the line between exuberance and self-indulgence, something another beloved filmmaker in Tarantino also does (just in very very different ways). That's not necessarily a flaw (I actually like it), but it does rub some people the wrong way.

Back