PlayStation Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth

After like neglecting my team with luke warm responses and pouring on the attention to Tifa, finally made it to Gold Saucer and started our date. Aerith is hard not to like in this game, but have much loyalty to my OG Tifa relationship. Now I can drop the cold shoulder bit and hang with the rest of the team.

The thumbnail for one of Jim Cornette's recent YT clips:

uxZQdWd.jpeg

<DCWhoa>

I just beat the 1st Remake. It was good, but it gave me strong Hobbit vibes. It was short and like 40% could've/should've been cut since it was just filler. This remake series should've been 2 games tops. Guess I'll have to wait for the 2nd to come to PC to play it though.
the thing is the Midgar area in the original is essentially a lengthy demo, not even Disc 1. It is a good change over point for the first chapter and leaves people on edge knowing they're about to go out into the world. If they had made it shorter people would have been pissed at getting an over priced demo so they had to pad out the areas with extras.

It does emphasis my over all problem with it though that certain new elements are polluting the original plot and making it less impactful over all. Fine, they want to bring it to a new audience but it feels like a general dumbing down with stricter adherence to mainstream expectations. Adding more Soldiers to the story does seem like a much needed addition since they were totally missing from the original, but much like the plot itself they seem to be borrowed from anime tropes.

the thing is the Midgar area in the original is essentially a lengthy demo, not even Disc 1. It is a good change over point for the first chapter and leaves people on edge knowing they're about to go out into the world. If they had made it shorter people would have been pissed at getting an over priced demo so they had to pad out the areas with extras.

It does emphasis my over all problem with it though that certain new elements are polluting the original plot and making it less impactful over all. Fine, they want to bring it to a new audience but it feels like a general dumbing down with stricter adherence to mainstream expectations. Adding more Soldiers to the story does seem like a much needed addition since they were totally missing from the original, but much like the plot itself they seem to be borrowed from anime tropes.

When I first tried to play it during Covid I actually quit right after the part with the motorcycle guy. I was just like... this is way too stupid and childish and I was disappointed they didn't make it more mature especially considering the target audience.

Thankfully that was an isolated incident. I thought they did a pretty good job with most of the characters. They did an excellent job with Cloud.

One type of character I can't stand in FF games is the bubbly overexcited and agreeable female. It seems to be a Japanese trope. There was one in FF13 and that combined with other things completely turned me off of it.

In FF15 there was a similar male character apparently named Prompto and I couldn't make it past an hour he annoyed me so much.

When I first tried to play it during Covid I actually quit right after the part with the motorcycle guy. I was just like... this is way too stupid and childish and I was disappointed they didn't make it more mature especially considering the target audience.

Thankfully that was an isolated incident. I thought they did a pretty good job with most of the characters. They did an excellent job with Cloud.

One type of character I can't stand in FF games is the bubbly overexcited and agreeable female. There was one in FF13 and that combined with other things completely turned me off of it.

In FF15 there was a similar male character apparently named Prompto and I couldn't make it past an hour he annoyed me so much.
that guy bugged me. I haven't played rebirth but from some brief clips I watched it looks like Seph has some new anime influenced side kicks.

PS yes FF has anime influence but it was more an Akira influence than what is being introduce now. This gen seems to really struggle with true grittiness and everything is clean and streamlined. To myself many additions look lie they belong in a different genre.

Finished up the main game after 100 hours, probably 20 of those were spent AFK taking care of my newborn.

I loved just about everything with Rebirth. Thought it was an improvement over Remake which is an excellent title in its own right. I connected more to the characters and story even though it was so much larger in scale.

Combat was excellent, the boss fights were epic. (Jesus Christ at the last one lol). The main missions were almost always interesting and the side missions held my interest far more than they usually do in games of this size.

They hit Gold Saucer absolutely perfectly imo. I loved doing all the different events and seeing it realized in a modern remake was everything I’d hoped for.

Queen’s Blood was so addicting to the point that I was looking forward to my next set of players more than I was the next mission. I hope it gets a standalone title. I haven’t had that much fun with a card game since Gwent.

A near perfect entry that’s really only held back by some repetitive side missions (looking at you Chadley) and a really sub par area in Gongaga. Not really major.

Can’t wait to see how they wrap this up. Going to be a long wait until the next one.

Side note, I think this game is always going to hold a special place for me as I was spending a lot of time with my daughter while playing it. It became our little routine for her to come sleep on my legs while mom got some rest. She spent a good half of it with me I’d say and I really looked forward to those.

Finished up the main game after 100 hours, probably 20 of those were spent AFK taking care of my newborn.

I loved just about everything with Rebirth. Thought it was an improvement over Remake which is an excellent title in its own right. I connected more to the characters and story even though it was so much larger in scale.

Combat was excellent, the boss fights were epic. (Jesus Christ at the last one lol). The main missions were almost always interesting and the side missions held my interest far more than they usually do in games of this size.

They hit Gold Saucer absolutely perfectly imo. I loved doing all the different events and seeing it realized in a modern remake was everything I’d hoped for.

Queen’s Blood was so addicting to the point that I was looking forward to my next set of players more than I was the next mission. I hope it gets a standalone title. I haven’t had that much fun with a card game since Gwent.

A near perfect entry that’s really only held back by some repetitive side missions (looking at you Chadley) and a really sub par area in Gongaga. Not really major.

Can’t wait to see how they wrap this up. Going to be a long wait until the next one.

Side note, I think this game is always going to hold a special place for me as I was spending a lot of time with my daughter while playing it. It became our little routine for her to come sleep on my legs while mom got some rest. She spent a good half of it with me I’d say and I really looked forward to those.
Damn your kid must be great. Mine refused to sleep anywhere that wasn’t directly against my heartbeat which meant any game that required two hands would wake her. I only played Slay the Spire those days but at least that’s a fantastic game. Even now with her being 1 I still have very little time. Still in Gongaga at 44 hours. Congrats btw, glad to hear she is healthy

Anyone else buy the OST? Mine just got here from Japan

Just finished the Chocobo race and legit belly laughed when the cut scene played and during the victory celebration Gus straight up slaps his minion across the face. It was just so unexpected, thought he was going to go in for a high five and just straight up up sends him packing.

Back