finishing singles

tekkenfan

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
for years it seemed almost everyone in mma and gyms it rained prefer to whizzer and shin block to defend singles now alot o guys like aldo ect limp leg out alot alot of guys have issues when guys limp leg alot seem to chase the hips and try for a mat return or whatever its more of a thing at lower weights if eel at higher weights guys cant limp the leg out as fast but below 155 guys just pull it out especially when sweaty do you prefer to try to get the hips?

I would just switch to a double leg if I can't get a good hold to finish a single leg. If sweaty, I would like to try and get the leg up and try to trip/sweep the other foot.

I'm no wrestler, but a major problem I notice is guys stay low too long. I think it's better to grab the leg and pop back up to your feet asap while pulling the leg up high so they can't slide their knee over your arms to limp leg. Then run the pipe. I think that's the right term. Basically I spin away from their base. A trip is also helpful. But again, I'm not a wrestler so what do I know?

The trend now is to actually go to a high single and lift. Cormier is probably the best example of this technique working at the highest levels.

The trend now is to actually go to a high single and lift. Cormier is probably the best example of this technique working at the highest levels.
as they are turning away to slip there leg out?

Yes. High singles make limp legging impossible.
when you say high single do you mean tree top? aldo really is the best i feel at this go to 140 of this vs gray maynard he does it to him a few times

when you say high single do you mean tree top? aldo really is the best i feel at this go to 140 of this vs gray maynard he does it to him a few times
More like you are attacking the single high up on the leg by the hips and lifting rather than more standard finishes that are around the knee or ankle. Here, you can see Cormier hit multiple high singles, mainly lifting.

More like you are attacking the single high up on the leg by the hips and lifting rather than more standard finishes that are around the knee or ankle. Here, you can see Cormier hit multiple high singles, mainly lifting.

do you think wrestling is gonna evolve much in the near future in mma? everyone today loves head outside single run the pipe if the dont go down they chain to a double thats 90% of leg shots today just about in ufc but guys are getting really good at defending pipe finishes the shoot across double with the outside trip which dilalshaw does alot is great but you have to get in very deep to get it i hardly ever see anyone do normal singles with head inside anymore

tam guys and chael say they will give a guy there leg gladly and work out and put them in a worse position

do you think wrestling is gonna evolve much in the near future in mma? everyone today loves head outside single run the pipe if the dont go down they chain to a double thats 90% of leg shots today just about in ufc but guys are getting really good at defending pipe finishes the shoot across double with the outside trip which dilalshaw does alot is great but you have to get in very deep to get it i hardly ever see anyone do normal singles with head inside anymore

tam guys and chael say they will give a guy there leg gladly and work out and put them in a worse position
This was what I did as well. I believe MMA wrestling will suffer because of the new NCAA scrambling rules. Now, when guys are getting takedowns in college, their offense can be less explosive and they have to work way less because defensive rolling and scrambling is now punished. I think this makes NCAA wrestling more exciting, but will make MMA wrestling in 2022 and after weaker.

This was what I did as well. I believe MMA wrestling will suffer because of the new NCAA scrambling rules. Now, when guys are getting takedowns in college, their offense can be less explosive and they have to work way less because defensive rolling and scrambling is now punished. I think this makes NCAA wrestling more exciting, but will make MMA wrestling in 2022 and after weaker.

That’s an interesting point I hadn’t thought of but I agree, I definitely made a point to reduce shot to finish times to not deal with old scrambling

yeah thats the basic take down combo most guys sue today high crotch into double if they don t go down with the pipe f you prefer to lift and slam than drive through i see is there a certain reason why?

yeah thats the basic take down combo most guys sue today high crotch into double if they don t go down with the pipe f you prefer to lift and slam than drive through i see is there a certain reason why?
In MMA, I always went to body attacks from leg attacks because of the sweat and also the ability to back take. In wrestling, driving through was always a better option because you wont risk a penalty and you remove a lot of situations where the guy can switch, granby, or retreat to the out of bounds line.

Here is a nice finish for a head on the outside single:

If you want some good examples of mma integrated takedowns and takedown defense, a nice recent case study is Mereb Dvalishvili Vs. Ricky Simon.

If you want some good examples of mma integrated takedowns and takedown defense, a nice recent case study is Mereb Dvalishvili Vs. Ricky Simon.
i youtubed and couldnt find it i see people talking about ti but cant find the fight anywhere to see

i youtubed and couldnt find it i see people talking about ti but cant find the fight anywhere to see

Well of course, copyrighted material is usually somewhat more difficult to source freely.

Back