Finishing the cross collar from mount

1PBCE1

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I often find myself in mount and trying to finish a cross collar. Massive Roger worship.

I find it hard to finish sometimes and often give up and move onto something else. I feel pressured that when I try and put it on, and my opponent resists, that I have failed.

However when watching Rodger, he is super slow. He grinds grinds grinds. Does he try and finish multiple times before finally getting it? I guess even if you repeatedly don't get it, being a big guy and putting so much pressure on someone can make them quit.

So should I just take my time and make them suffer?

The rear naked choke and the mounted cross collar choke are end game subs. The opponent knows that they have no cards left to play and they can put 100% of their defense into blocking it.

That's why you ignore their defense and CRUSH EVERYTHING.

There really aren't any tricks that matter. Get the position. Hold the position. Drive until the guy taps.

My collar chokes need work and I agree with ^^, but I have more success going for it and since it is such a game ender, they will usually make a mistake and leave themselves open for another sub that I have a higher % on if I can't finish.

My collar chokes need work and I agree with ^^, but I have more success going for it and since it is such a game ender, they will usually make a mistake and leave themselves open for another sub that I have a higher % on if I can't finish.

To each his own.

It definitely take some patience and persistence, because as soon as you take the first grip - everyone expects the strangle and will defend it. I find that rather than making the second grip 'hand in', I drag my elbow backwards from the floor across the jawline until I have the grip works better for me - easier to keep base in this way too.

This video by TrumpetDan helped me. You may want to look at his other Roger Gracie videos.

I love the cross choke to wrist lock to armbar back to cross choke over and over. Somethings gotta give

I often find myself in mount and trying to finish a cross collar. Massive Roger worship.

I find it hard to finish sometimes and often give up and move onto something else. I feel pressured that when I try and put it on, and my opponent resists, that I have failed.

However when watching Rodger, he is super slow. He grinds grinds grinds. Does he try and finish multiple times before finally getting it? I guess even if you repeatedly don't get it, being a big guy and putting so much pressure on someone can make them quit.

So should I just take my time and make them suffer?

I was lucky enough to have Roger teach me this choke at a seminar, and the big takeaway (other than a few small technical details) is that Roger is incredibly mean and gives absolutely zero fucks about how much pain/discomfort he causes when he does it. The way you set the second hand is you elbow the guy in the side of his head and push his head to the side as hard as you need to to expose the collar. It is very, very not fun for the guy getting choked. You much not care at all about that if you're going to have consistent success with the choke. When I throw this choke on people, they almost universally have to roll out their necks after the tap. It's a bitch.

Half the fun of the cross collar is everything leading up to the tap. Once you have a solid first grip (super important), take your time and let them feel you. Keep your free hand in front of you for balance. Do not reach for the second grip. Do what others have mentioned and use your elbow of your free hand to push their head towards your first grip. If you give them a bald spot on their beard, you have the right amount of gi friction on their face.
The most important step: Wait! Keep waiting! They will be begging for you to submit them. It is still too soon; wait longer. Look into their eyes. You see their soul weeping? More pressure. Look again. Their soul is dead? Good, grab that shoulder material.

It's like those old keytwist opened cans; puts extra torque into it.

Last edited:
The rear naked choke and the mounted cross collar choke are end game subs. The opponent knows that they have no cards left to play and they can put 100% of their defense into blocking it.

There really aren't any tricks that matter. Get the position. Hold the position. Drive until the guy taps.

This is basically what I do. It's one of my best subs.

I took you advice and actually finished one tonight, lol

I took you advice and actually finished one tonight, lol

Back