Finnegan's Wake

Did tabatas yesterday, and even though its Sprint Day in the Ross system, I figured it was a bad idea to do sprints again, so I did:

Sprints
(Bike)
10 seconds full out, 20 seconds for 6 minutes

Core Circuit:
One arm cable punches (60lbs) x 20 each arm, focus on rotation
1 minute plank (20 seconds left, then right, then center)
10 flags

My stim tolerance is well cultivated. I need 2 liters of Mt Dew or 4 energy drinks a day to break even.

Glad I'm not the only one. I usually make a pot of coffee about everyday, but I wanted something different today. Got a Red Bull Cola and grape NOS from the gas station and drank 'em back to back while I was revising a couple papers... Nothin'.

Friday:
Lifting/ Cardio/ Helping a disgusting fat-body cut weight for his fight:

Weighted Dips:
BW x 5
+65 x 5
+75 x 5
+85 x 5
+95 x 5

Lateral DB Raises:
35 x 5
45 x 5
55 x 5
65 x 5

SDBOHP:
45 x 5
65 x 5
75 x 5

Pullups:
5, 7, 10, 10, 7, 5

Weight Cutting support
Treadmill
bike
Mit Work
bunch of other random shit

Impressions:
Can't remember what all I did while waiting for our guy in the sauna. Lots of stuff.

Saturday:
Fight Day. No workout per se, but plenty of adrenaline dropped. Our guy won. Aggression drills paid off.

Sunday: Day off

Monday:
MMA Fight Team stuff:
Drills
Sparring
More Drills

last weekend of May.

Tues:

Sprints:

Tabata Bike: 4 minutes

Tabata cable rows: 3 minutes

Speedbag: 300 punches.

Core:

Decline Situps x 20
Side Bends: 95 x 12 (6 each side)
Cable Twists: 110 x 20 (10 each direction)

GPP:

Top of the minutes:
5 pullups/ 10 dips x 3 minutes
8 neutral grip pullups/ 15 dips x 3 minutes

Weds:

Lifting:

Shoulder Prehab

DB Bench Press/ Clapping Pushup complex: (2 min. rest between sets)
75 x 6/ 6
95 x 6/ 6
95 x 6/ 6
95 x 6/ 6

DB Narrow Stance Deadlift/ One Arm Dumbell Snatch complex (90 sec rest):
190 x 10/ 45 x 6
190 x 10 /55 x 6
190 x 10/ 65 x 6

DB Overhead Press Burnouts (60 secs rest between sets):
35 x 20
35 x 20
35 x 20
35 x 20

Impressions:
Shoulder feels good. Mixed in some random speedbag stuff and shadowboxing here and there. Good stuff.

Vegas? You fighting in the Sherdog/UG?

(Obviously not, but it would be funny if you were)

Friday:
MMA Fight Team:
1 1/2 hours

Supersecret stuff.

Impressions: Man, I've got nice calves. They should really help me when I train UFC.

They won't. They make getting triangles harder.

Why for support Somali piracy?

I like the pirates. They don't kill people, they treat hostages pretty well, and they are doing something that is so audacious and anarchistic that I can't help but smile and cheer them on. Did they threaten the one guy's life, maybe after three days of being scared shitless by the Navy, they might have started to crack when they realized that one way or the other, they were going to get murdered and made examples of, which is what happened.

Sunday:
MMA
Technique/ Home Gym reconstruction

Fair enough. I really know nothing about it. Other than the South Park episode the other night.

The North Coast of Africa has a long, rich tradition of Islamic piracy. When Europe was balls deep in superstition and oppression, pirate states sprang up in Morocco, Sale, attracting quite a few disenfranchised Europeans (most of their recruits were of course captured sailors and people from coastal towns who were given the option of "turning Turk", or converting, for their freedom.)

Barbary corsairs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sunday:

AM:

Scriptless Training

Exercises that I would randomly do during a three min period:
Zercher Hold (30 seconds)
Power Punches
Speed Punches
DB OHP (30 seconds)
Jump Rope
13" tire w/ rim slams on the ground
8lbs metal bar hitting the tire
Log flips or drags(approx 100lbs)

Three min. rounds, 1 min rest x 5

PM:
Top of the Minutes:
5 Pullups/ 5 dips for 6 minutes

Core:
20 One arm horizontal cable punches (50lbs on the cable, 10 per side)
20 decline sit up and 1-2s
20 side bends (95lbs dumbell, 10 per side)
20 diagonal cable chops (90lbs, 10 per side)
1 min. rest

Finisher:
Long Range Speedbag Punches x 300

Impressions:
Not a bad day of training. I really liked the Zercher Hold immediately followed by punching. Felt like I'd just been pummeling or grappling and then had to try throw hard, precise punches. I'll be doing those more.

Impressions:
Not a bad day of training. I really liked the Zercher Hold immediately followed by punching. Felt like I'd just been pummeling or grappling and then had to try throw hard, precise punches. I'll be doing those more.

I'll be stealing that idea. Thanks.
Also, the link about the pirates was pretty interesting.

MMA Fight Team training:

Conditioning
Sparring
Situational Sparring

Impressions:
Its breezy outside.

Tues:
Well, my left leg nearly has a ring of deep, black and purple bruising. I should probably take a couples off to let that heal. Instead:

DBSOHP:

35 x 3
45 x 3
55 x 3
75 x 1
95 x 0,0

DB Incline Bench Strip sets

95 x 4 / 55 x 10
95 x 4/ 55 x 10
95 x 4/ 55 x 10
95 x 4/ 55 x 10

Top of the Minutes:
5 towel pullups/ 20 cable flys (60lbs per side)
5 minutes total.

Impressions:
Missed the DBSOHP 1RM. Not surprised after yesterday's training, but it was on the schedule so I gave it a go. Added in the strip set concept again to begin the shift from maximal strength to explosive strength/ conditioning for the fight. Same with the Top of the Minutes.

Can you explain the Top of the Minutes? I've never heard it before.

Damned forum ate my reply, it seems. Top of the minutes are where you do a list of exercises at the beginning of each minute for a certain number of minutes, so the faster you get through them, the more rest you have before the next set. Its a nice way of tricking yourself to up the intensity with Pavlovian conditioning.

Firetending:
Arrive on site Friday evening. Chilly and wet, raining. Spend most of the time soaked. Takes three hours to build the fire up to a level where its giving off enough warmth to be of any real use. Footing is horrible, as this pit doesn't have a sand or stone circle around the pit, and the whole area is flooded and being churned up by dancing, dirty hippies.
Proceed to go off duty and get blitzed. Did not die of hypothermia.

3 hours sleep
Saturday:

Morning:
Rain stops, so I rake the coals out of the firepit to dry the mud, and spend 45 minutes rolling a log around it to pack it down. It drys to become very solid. If I had straw, I would have made an adobe circle for us to work with. Consider this a cardio session.

Evening:
Woodbusting/ build: Hauling logs, flipping logs, rolling, turning, and wrestling a 10 foot tall, 30 inch in diameter hollow-esque log upright into the center of the pit, bracing it with huge stumps and cabin logs, etc. Totally worn out. End up firetending first shift just due to the ludicrous danger that the log represented (if it would have tipped on its own, it would have been a half ton or rolling, flaming death.)
Go off duty on midnight, mix up some Manhattans. Back on duty at 3 AM-7:00 as a backup. More drinking at dawn as the shift ends.

Impressions:
This was a bitch of a festival as far as the fire went. Mud, wet timber, giant unstable logs due to the previous two, etc all made for some ass-puckering moments. Other than that, had a blast. Sparred with a girl (blocking drill) who does Toughgirl contests. She got one through and nailed me over the right eye, hard enough to cause swelling and bruising. Should have brought my gloves.
Ripped a callous down to the meat off of my left hand, about the size and shape of a triple-wad of chewing gum. Good times.
Lots of hijinks with fireworks and magnesium phosphate. Pleading the 5th for the rest of that story. One girl had a flaming hoola hoop that pretty bad ass.

Monday:
MMA Fight Team

Tues:
Top of the minutes:
5 pullups/ 10 dips for three minutes
7 pullups/ 15 dips for three minutes

Shoulder prehab stuff

DBSOHP challenge:
do 6 reps w/ 30lb dumbell, switching hands after each set, non stop for 3 minutes. (fuck, this was harder than it sounds).

Impressions:
Well, shit happens, but that's okay. Don't ask.

Back