Fire Extinguisher

astrozician

Orion's Belt
@purple
Reaction score
There was a Mayberry post about a home invasion and it got me thinking about the effectiveness of a Fire Extinguisher. I have one in my kitchen which is there for fires (and I also keep firearms loaded with modern hollow-points). My brother in law keeps a fire extinguisher near his bed to use on an intruder. What is the wisdom in this?

With a fire extinguisher, you can blast them with it (let’s assume it’s a standard ABC class). Is this debilitating? I’ve never had to use one yet. After discharging, you have a metal blunt weapon, less idea than a baseball bat, but better than nothing.

My thoughts are while better than nothing, I don’t like it as a defensive weapon. It doesn’t have that “Freeze or you’re dead” intimidation factor, nor does it cause immediate debilitating damage. It’s also a two handed weapon, limiting your ability to call 911 or use a flashlight.

What do you guys think? Am I missing something?

fjsez.gif

04d5D.gif

tenor.gif

Leave it for the fire and get something else for hd.

Leave it for the fire and get something else for hd.

LOL, and also Roddy Piper on Morton Downey Jr at WM5. If it's safe-enough for WWE, that should tell you something; I can almost hear the Benny Hill theme song.

I agree with you but he's VERY over to the left and I think legit weapons are out of question; forget firearms. I read it in Massad Ayoob's book "Truth about Self Defense" that people want a solution that just isn't there: a non-violent solution to a violent problem.

LOL, and also Roddy Piper on Morton Downey Jr at WM5. If it's safe-enough for WWE, that should tell you something; I can almost hear the Benny Hill theme song.

I agree with you but he's VERY over to the left and I think legit weapons are out of question; forget firearms. I read it in Massad Ayoob's book "Truth about Self Defense" that people want a solution that just isn't there: a non-violent solution to a violent problem.

71dchUmq%2BqL._SL1500_.jpg

19463_xl.jpg

41WWraiyeRL.jpg

unpeeled-rattan-escrima.jpg

I didn't know this, but the Taser appears to be LEGAL in CA.. holy shit, who knew?

Laws and options change, state to state. People shit on California's laws, but at least we have a solid Castle Doctrine law, PC 198.5.

I mean.... if you're absolutely going to use that than you could spray them with the shit to throw them off for a second and then use the extinguisher as a bludgeoning weapon and bash their head in.

I didn't know this, but the Taser appears to be LEGAL in CA.. holy shit, who knew?

Laws and options change, state to state. People shit on California's laws, but at least we have a solid Castle Doctrine law, PC 198.5.

The civilian version of the Tazer is a 30 second ride. They cost about the same as firearm though.

There was a Mayberry post about a home invasion and it got me thinking about the effectiveness of a Fire Extinguisher. I have one in my kitchen which is there for fires (and I also keep firearms loaded with modern hollow-points). My brother in law keeps a fire extinguisher near his bed to use on an intruder. What is the wisdom in this?

With a fire extinguisher, you can blast them with it (let’s assume it’s a standard ABC class). Is this debilitating? I’ve never had to use one yet. After discharging, you have a metal blunt weapon, less idea than a baseball bat, but better than nothing.

My thoughts are while better than nothing, I don’t like it as a defensive weapon. It doesn’t have that “Freeze or you’re dead” intimidation factor, nor does it cause immediate debilitating damage. It’s also a two handed weapon, limiting your ability to call 911 or use a flashlight.

What do you guys think? Am I missing something?

I’ve been to houses where dry chem extinguishers have been used in domestic disputes. Much like pepper spray indoors, you will wind up incapacitating yourself just as much as your opponent.

Leave fire extinguishers for fires.

I’ve been to houses where dry chem extinguishers have been used in domestic disputes. Much like pepper spray indoors, you will wind up incapacitating yourself just as much as your opponent.

Leave fire extinguishers for fires.

Thanks for that perspective. My band has played in venues, and I've asked for no smoke effects because it was too hard to see between the dark room and bright lights.

Thanks for that perspective. My band has played in venues, and I've asked for no smoke effects because it was too hard to see between the dark room and bright lights.
Well there’s that, but also the fine powder becomes an inhalation hazard.

Back