Firefighter loses job over insensitive social media post

He failed the common sense test

What does that even matter? Is everyone obliged to find it funny if it was a joke, or not have it reflect on the type of person he is? You can't possibly prove how he really feels, nor is anyone gonna undertake the futile effort to prove such a thing.

Lets turn this around though. What if somebody made a bad joke that reflected poorly on their employer and did effect business. Should they be obliged to hang on to the person, even though it's hurting them? Where are their rights in this scenario?

Sounds very familiar to Gunn/Roseanne

Freedom of speech doesn’t mean you can just go around saying whatever the hell you want with no consequences. On top of that it’s not like he’s going to jail or some shit. His employer fired him for being an idiot. That applies to pretty much any employment field, basic shit.

Sounds very familiar to Gunn/Roseanne

Pretty much. An employer has no obligation to keep a poor representative around, if they feel they are damaging their reputation. I don't see how people still think this is some kind of free speech issue.

Hmmmmm, first, that comment is disgusting.

But just to play devil's advocate here. Isn't a fire fighter a government employee?

Should the government be allowed to fire someone over speech?

I mean, our Constitution is very clear. Those laws are meant to check government power, and they are absolute.

It is ridiculous how many Americans act like the Constitution is some sort of perfect, holy document. It is not. It was not made by perfect men or gods. It should be respected, but the idea that it can't be questioned 200+ years after it was written is fucking absurd.

You people bring up the Constitution while conveniently ignoring how and why it was created. The circumstances in which that document was made does not reflect the state of the country and world today. They made these rights right after fighting a WAR against an oppressive governing body.
The 2nd Amendment was not made so that fat random dumbasses could play tough guy, and shoot at each other over petty shit in their neighborhood. That Amendment came about, the revolutionary war came about, because the British put an import ban of guns and gunpowder on the colonies, and tried to confiscate the guns already in flow as a response to the Boston Tea Party. That amendment was made with that event in mind--to not allow an oppressive, unjust government to enslave it's citizens.
The 1st amendment was in response to the crown jailing and prosecuting writers and publishers for treason. It was not made to protect morons trolling and being 'edgy' on the internet.

Freedom of speech does not mean freedom from any and all consequences of your words. You can say whatever you want, but that doesn't mean you get no consequences.
If you work for a company, and ESPECIALLY if you work for the government, your speech, your actions are a reflection of your employer. It speaks to the quality of person that they hire and associate with. The government, and any company is more than within their rights to not have some edgy moron ruin their reputation and business.

If you could bring the founding fathers to the now, and interview them, do you really think that they would say that the Constitution and every amendment is a perfect document that is 100% as applicable today as it was 231 years ago?
The third amendment is about harboring soldiers, ffs, it was a document that was clearly written in a very different time.

As a latino I would prefer a bird water fountain filled with tequila.

I have a question for you, as a Latino. Why do you have the ugly chick from the blurred lines as your avatar over the obvious choice of Emily? I mean, she has interesting lips, but she looks too much like Shelly long.

And there are ways to apprehend and or repel the illegals that does not involve just shooting at them like they were animals. Even the police can not just shoot someone, unless they pose an imminent threat to life. The illegals crossing the border and not an invading army forcing their way in with weapons. Refugees are also not invaders, and some of these folks are refugees.

The Trump fans would make really good Romans. Stupid, indolent plebieians who beg for scraps from the Nasica types while singing their virtues, but still, good Romans.

It is ridiculous how many Americans act like the Constitution is some sort of perfect, holy document. It is not. It was not made by perfect men or gods. It should be respected, but the idea that it can't be questioned 200+ years after it was written is fucking absurd.

You people bring up the Constitution while conveniently ignoring how and why it was created. The circumstances in which that document was made does not reflect the state of the country and world today. They made these rights right after fighting a WAR against an oppressive governing body.
The 2nd Amendment was not made so that fat random dumbasses could play tough guy, and shoot at each other over petty shit in their neighborhood. That Amendment came about, the revolutionary war came about, because the British put an import ban of guns and gunpowder on the colonies, and tried to confiscate the guns already in flow as a response to the Boston Tea Party. That amendment was made with that event in mind--to not allow an oppressive, unjust government to enslave it's citizens.
The 1st amendment was in response to the crown jailing and prosecuting writers and publishers for treason. It was not made to protect morons trolling and being 'edgy' on the internet.

Freedom of speech does not mean freedom from any and all consequences of your words. You can say whatever you want, but that doesn't mean you get no consequences.
If you work for a company, and ESPECIALLY if you work for the government, your speech, your actions are a reflection of your employer. It speaks to the quality of person that they hire and associate with. The government, and any company is more than within their rights to not have some edgy moron ruin their reputation and business.

If you could bring the founding fathers to the now, and interview them, do you really think that they would say that the Constitution and every amendment is a perfect document that is 100% as applicable today as it was 231 years ago?
The third amendment is about harboring soldiers, ffs, it was a document that was clearly written in a very different time.

I saw something from CNN today where a panelist said "The Founding Fathers and their infinite wisdom-" I was like "WHAT?!"

They were, in many cases (not looking at you, Button Gwinett and Patrick Henry!!), geniuses and men of the enlightenment, but they were not perfect.

I have a question for you, as a Latino. Why do you have the ugly chick from the blurred lines as your avatar over the obvious choice of Emily? I mean, she has interesting lips, but she looks too much like Shelly long.
emily is incredibly ugly as well. sure, the breasts are glorious. But the face looks like she has some sort of syndrome

I saw something from CNN today where a panelist said "The Founding Fathers and their infinite wisdom-" I was like "WHAT?!"

They were, in many cases (not looking at you, Button Gwinett and Patrick Henry!!), geniuses and men of the enlightenment, but they were not perfect.
I have heard that exact phrase said MANY times.
I do not understand this deifying of them. They were certainly intelligent men, yes, but they weren't seers. They weren't even the most moral of men. 9 of them had slaves. Washington was the only one who set his slaves free. Jefferson, the guy that said "all men were created equals" owned people...had one of them as his mistress. They didn't show much care for women, blacks, or natives, so the idea that they created a document we should not question is so ridiculous.

There are plenty of intelligent members of the Senate or House in our current government, 200 years from now we're supposed to consider their words and laws unquestionable?

I’m okay with this firing. What he said was stupid and he’s a fucking idiot for posting that online.

Emily?

Firing him for that is too far. Fine/suspension should be reasonable and everyone is happy.

do you think a tech writer's twitter trolls is equivalent to a public employee (whose job description requires a duty to help without judgment) joking about murdering border crossers? I'm sure this kind of attitude is welcome among the ICE, but no reputable fire chief in America would tolerate this.

What a balanced and fair description of both events.

The Trump fans would make really good Romans. Stupid, indolent plebieians who beg for scraps from the Nasica types while singing their virtues, but still, good Romans.
Die-hard Trumpers are motivated - in large part - by darwinian urges. They see the illegals as existential threats to America's traditional White demographic dominance.

blurred_lines.jpg

She hit her peak in that vid though.

I have heard that exact phrase said MANY times.
I do not understand this deifying of them. They were certainly intelligent men, yes, but they weren't seers. They weren't even the most moral of men. 9 of them had slaves. Washington was the only one who set his slaves free. Jefferson, the guy that said "all men were created equals" owned people...had one of them as his mistress. They didn't show much care for women, blacks, or natives, so the idea that they created a document we should not question is so ridiculous.

There are plenty of intelligent members of the Senate or House in our current government, 200 years from now we're supposed to consider their words and laws unquestionable?

It's like a religion really.

The Constitution is the holy text. It's the document by which we should lead our lives. It's irreplaceable and uncompromising. Amendments? Those came down from the heavens as well. Any deviation from it deserves punishment.

The founding fathers are the gods. Washington is the main god, Jefferson, Madison, and maybe Hamilton right under him. They reached human- and inhuman- perfection and our task is to carry out their will. Any deviation from that deserves punishment.

(Alt) right at it again
Earlier this week, Chris Bush posted this message on Facebook: "We should buy deer feeders fill them with pinto beans put them on the border and make a new hunting season. I wonder how many Texans will buy that hunting licenses and how many tags we would be allowed..."

https://abc13.com/4655180/?ex_cid=TA_KTRK_FB&utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_content=5be5e0429ebbef0001c650be&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR3JwyGPFQC-L_d5zT_fjF6l46BPhggl_ehxJNc3h-lhibwSqR_ycnc3ISs

What does "Firefighter" have to do with anything? If you worked at Mcdonalds and got fired for posting that on Facebook I wouldn't feel bad for you.

Back