First amateur kickbox fight Saturday.

Dilaanf_

Orange Belt
Professional Fighter
Reaction score
Any tips?

My fight is 3x1,5 minutes. I've never trained so hard for something in my life. So I'm pretty confident about it. But any tips would be appreciated.

Don't think of it like it's a mission to save the country or something. Its just a fight.

Relax this week, til then. It will seem crazy to hear, but you're already ready. Don't make the mistake of getting nervous and end up sparring 2 days out and get injured.

Remember to breathe, rehydrate properly, and most importantly have fun. The hard part is making weight.

Technically wise, there's nothing we can say, you've been in camp for 8+ weeks, the basics your team and coach(es) have hammered into you is there to stay, what we say won't come out.

Best of luck

Don't think of it like it's a mission to save the country or something. Its just a fight.

Relax this week, til then. It will seem crazy to hear, but you're already ready. Don't make the mistake of getting nervous and end up sparring 2 days out and get injured.

Remember to breathe, rehydrate properly, and most importantly have fun. The hard part is making weight.

Technically wise, there's nothing we can say, you've been in camp for 8+ weeks, the basics your team and coach(es) have hammered into you is there to stay, what we say won't come out.

Best of luck
Thank you. My coaches have indeed hammered everything into me. The weight cut won't be a problem since i have 0,5 kg to go.

Just relax during the fight. At a guess I’d say when people are in their first 3 or so fights, the person who doesn’t gas (or gasses second) wins. By the end of most first fights, both guys can’t even keep their hands up.

A lot of your skills and technique will go out the window and it just comes down to conditioning.

The only other thing is basics win fights at that level. 1-2 kick. Repeat for 3 rounds and you’ll win.

Good luck!

One tip that works for me is usually right before the fight you have a face off where the ref will give his instructions. Don’t be the one who breaks eye contact

Don’t look at the ref when he’s giving instructions, don’t try to look at both of his eyes at once.. Look your opponent straight into his 3rd eye, right on his forehead between the eyes, with the intention that at this moment, nothing else matters, you’re here to whoop his bitch ass and he better believe it

Good luck. Try to enjoy the build up, don’t let the little things stress you out

Last edited:
I was reading 3, 1 minute rouds. the extra 5 minutes threw me off.
He put a comma instead of a period between the 1 and 5. Its just a typo, but I can see how it could throw things off

One tip that works for me is usually right before the fight you have a face off where the ref will give his instructions. Don’t be the one who breaks eye contact

Don’t look at the ref when he’s giving instructions, don’t try to look at both of his eyes at once.. Look your opponent straight into his 3rd eye, right on his forehead between the eyes, with the intention that at this moment, nothing else matters, you’re here to whoop his bitch ass and he better believe it

Good luck. Try to enjoy the build up, don’t let the little things stress you out
I do the exact opposite, I'm looking at the ref and ignore my opponent:D

And after the fight, pull a Romeo Rockhold to extra points

Stay calm, don't push yourself to hard 1 week before the fight and try to enjoy the experience.
remember and use the basics, don't try something "fancy". and breathe!

I won the decision and had 1 knockdown in the second round. Thank you all for the tips!!

Congrats, I’ll bet it was because all the tips in this thread were running through your head the whole time hahaha

Congrats, I’ll bet it was because all the tips in this thread were running through your head the whole time hahaha
Sherdog lineage > all forms of coaching

Back