First U.S. rock band to go full digital

I'm not sure to be honest. I was at a concert where one of the musicians was virtual, but that was only for one song. It worked reasonably well but it was a pretty unique situation (virtual musician isn't part of the band, but she did rewrite one of the band's songs in a new way and the band sometimes performs her version of their song). I can see this working well for guest spots where they have a virtual version of the musician perform a song or two with the band, but I think we're gonna need some AI computer magic before it's ready for a full show.

I think I agree with Stevie here that a band like Kiss can pull this off relatively well. I'm not sure if it will work for most bands though.

I think I agree with Stevie here that a band like Kiss can pull this off relatively well. I'm not sure if it will work for most bands though.

You have a valid point; let's say Kiss have always been "avatars" in kids' minds, so the passage to digital has been paved for them. Some glam bands might jump on the bandwagon down the line and in any case, remember, you cannot stop progress , like it or not ....not even in rock music.

Elvis Presley Hologram to Perform on London Stage Later This Year​

Elvis Evolution concerts are also planned for Las Vegas, Tokyo, and Berlin

GettyImages-607400576-1.jpg

Elvis Presley is set to return to the stage — as a hologram. Elvis Evolution, an “immersive concert experience” that uses AI and holographic projection, will premiere in London in November. Additional shows are planned in Las Vegas, Tokyo and Berlin.

The show was created based on thousands of the musician’s personal photos and home-video footage, which were part of a deal between Authentic Brands Group, the owners of the Elvis Presley estate, and Layered Reality, a British immersive entertainment company. Layered Reality will create a life-sized digital Elvis, which will perform his iconic songs.

“Elvis Evolution is a next-generation tribute to the musical legend that is Elvis Presley,” Andrew McGuinness, chief executive of Layered Reality, said in a statement. “Elvis maintains superstar status globally and people around the world no longer want to sit there and passively receive entertainment — they want to be a part of it. It’ll be a memory-making experience that will be a bucket-list item for Elvis fans and admirers around the world; people can step into the world of Elvis, walk in his shoes and celebrate his extraordinary musical legacy.”

Back