Flavored dead crickets at the gas station

I read this last night and this morning a huge grasshopper is in my living room. How the fuck did it get 30 floors up.

They grind them up for cricket protein powder too. I have enough damn crickets in my backyard to feed an army. If you leave something outside on the ground for a day like a plank of wood, then flip it over the next day there will literally be hundreds of them huddled up under there. It's annoying as can be when one of them makes its way inside the house and starts chirping. I had one that got up against the compressor on the refrigerator a while back that took forever to find. That cricket was like houdini escaping me several times hiding somewhere else, then going back to the 'fridge because of the heat it put out.

Nutrition is nutrition. As 1st worlders, we enjoy shit with our supposed elevated and educated palates that would likely make many 3rd worlders sick.

Over all, I imagine a diet of crickets is really rather more healthy for you than a diet of big macs. Insects and grubs are a numerous plentiful source of nutrition we westerners simply look at with disgust while some of our citizens go hungry for days at a time and would rather deal with hunger pangs than partake of such a plentiful resource.

Pretty good when done right. Eaten in Mexico as snacks all of the time. Mezcal and chapulines, mmmMmmm

Best method of cooking most insects is roasting. If you simply can't handle eating them in their normal form then roast them, grind them to powder and add them to soups or stews for a protein boost.

Grubs really should be added to stews with vegetables if possible as the texture is kinda of off putting but can more easily be masked among cooked vegetables.

Back