Flickr was bought by Smugmug

DiegoLunes

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
but is it too late for the failing social media photo site?

but is it too late for the failing social media photo site?

Came in here thinking I read Flickr was bought by SAMSUNG .

So you you can imagine the confusion and malice I hold toward TS.

<Prem974> I don't know what I'm going to do with you, TS.

I don't understand.

A smug mug?
I would slap it.

Flickr is getting thrown all over the place. So Yahoo decided to sell it to Smugmug? Flickr has been on the downslope for a long time now, especially as a social media platform. It use to be one of the most popular photo sharing site at one point. Most people that are still actively using flickr are certain sub specialty groups/community, your ongoing circle jerking comment/like hungry photographers (that I never get till this day) and some people still use it as one form of storage and portfolio. I think most are using Instagram. I have no idea if 500px is still popular or if there is a more newer popular photosharing site that I either forgot about or not aware of... I still upload photos on there, but now a days only my street photography work that has been on haitus. There is still a strong street photography community, especially the infamous Hardcore Street Photography (HCSP) group.

That sucks. Flickr is a huge resource of mine for photography. It hosted full size photographs which you could typically download and had exif info. It was a really good site for serious photographs.

I'm fully expecting someone to eventually ruin flickr and attempt to turn it into a shitty instagram.

I hope you seek counseling for your butthurt.

I hope you seek counseling for your butthurt.

giphy.webp

OVER RULED.

That sucks. Flickr is a huge resource of mine for photography. It hosted full size photographs which you could typically download and had exif info. It was a really good site for serious photographs.

I'm fully expecting someone to eventually ruin flickr and attempt to turn it into a shitty instagram.
You are absolutely right. Hosting fully size photos and giving exif info is a big part of what is great about Flickr.

Flickr is getting thrown all over the place. So Yahoo decided to sell it to Smugmug? Flickr has been on the downslope for a long time now, especially as a social media platform. It use to be one of the most popular photo sharing site at one point. Most people that are still actively using flickr are certain sub specialty groups/community, your ongoing circle jerking comment/like hungry photographers (that I never get till this day) and some people still use it as one form of storage and portfolio. I think most are using Instagram. I have no idea if 500px is still popular or if there is a more newer popular photosharing site that I either forgot about or not aware of... I still upload photos on there, but now a days only my street photography work that has been on haitus. There is still a strong street photography community, especially the infamous Hardcore Street Photography (HCSP) group.
You surely have a good understanding of Flickr. It is good that Yahoo sold it because they put zero effort and money into what was once the most popular photography sites and one of the biggest social media sites.

It actually looked like Yahoo was actually going to kill off Flickr so it is pleasantly surprising that they sold it to people that care about it and seem to be into photography.

You surely have a good understanding of Flickr. It is good that Yahoo sold it because they put zero effort and money into what was once the most popular photography sites and one of the biggest social media sites.

It actually looked like Yahoo was actually going to kill off Flickr so it is pleasantly surprising that they sold it to people that care about it and seem to be into photography.

I use to be be pretty active in Flickr at one point, but rarely go on it now. It will be interesting to see what Smugmug does with Flickr. I guess it will depend on the vision of the Smugmug team.

Back