Floating Island Project(starting a New Nation)

Cheese

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
This is the future of vactions. I was looking to see how a city could be built on the oceanand came across this thing called the floating island project and sounds cool as hell.

https://www.seasteading.org/floating-city-project/

The Floating Island Project

We are now working with French Polynesia to pass a seazone act by the end of 2017. We plan to be in Tahiti by the beginning of 2018 to begin the development of our floating island pilot project. We have documented our major milestones in our blog.

Edit: this thread is can also be about how a new nation could be better than the old without regulations.

Last edited:
They could build hypertubes to transport people and good to the to the island.

Don't we have one made of trash in the pacific?

maxresdefault.jpg.cf.jpg

This will be a learning exp. A city with no nation to rule it execpt the people that live there.

What could happen.

Is it tsunami proof?

here is there response
Location is one of the first and most important decisions for Seasteading. Many potential natural hazards can be minimized by carefully choosing locations. For example, French Polynesia is so far from active earthquake and volcano zones, with such an advantageous topology, that tsunamis have little effect there. It also has very low storm activity. Starting in a natural lagoon will additionally shelter us from most wave action. Open ocean Seasteads would need to develop technologies for mitigating waves, preferably while also harvesting their energy for productive use.

I think this idea is cool and dangerous. Whole cities built and run by Corp and Investors. The future is coming quick.

Wish I liked seafood.

I imagine the residents will have to eat a lot of fish.

Supposedly you can feed fish to chickens - but then their eggs and meat will tend to taste "fishy".

I am wary of how an unregulated entity would handle sanitary and hazardous waste disposal.

thought this thread was gonna be about building a floating island for a kitchen.

definitely disappointed.

This will be a learning exp. A city with no nation to rule it execpt the people that live there.

. What will the legal system be like (i.e. police & crime)?
. What kind of currency will they use?
. Is this thing anchored to the bottom of the sea or will it float out to sea under bad weather?
. Where will electricity come from? Solar?
. Will it be able to handle major medical emergencies and fires?
. What about an emergency evacuation plan?
. You know there are retired people that live on cruise ships for many years.

. What will the legal system be like (i.e. police & crime)?
. What kind of currency will they use?
. Is this thing anchored to the bottom of the sea or will it float out to sea under bad weather?
. Where will electricity come from? Solar?
. Will it be able to handle major medical emergencies and fires?
. What about an emergency evacuation plan?
. You know there are retired people that live on cruise ships for many years.

Yeah this is gonna be something new and we have to wait and see how things devlop. I think they are gonna start by building close to bigger island and most likey use their forms of money, political, and thangs but they do want these island to devolp and grow into something on their own.

The Institute’s vision is meta-political. We do not promote any particular ideology or specific policies. Rather, we provide a platform for others to try new ways of living together which they believe will make them happier. Some seasteads might want to try a universal basic income, while others might prefer free market solutions. Some might rely on electronic direct democracy, others might entrust public policy to technocrats, while others might use consumer-choice-based services, or anything in between and beyond.

I think they are gonna start by building close to bigger island and most likey use their forms of money, political, and thangs but they do want these island to devolp and grow into something on their own.

I think it is kind of a naïve idea. Prime target for a terrorist group to take over and demand money for hostages.

I think it is kind of a naïve idea. Prime target for a terrorist group to take over and demand money for hostages.

Private Security forces could protect them from pirates and thangs i think.

Back