Floyd mayweather jabbing that heavy bag

saw it on twitter

beautiful

What a noob and poor technique. Keeps dropping that hand. <{cruzshake}>

just when you think your jab is awesome you see something like this

0mrKW_s-200x150.gif

It's funny how people who never have fought make comments about Floyd's power because he's hitting world class guys who are naturally bigger than him. One of those jabs alone would probably floor the average guy.

And Joshua looks huge. Might be scary to see that guy in real life knowing who he is.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the first time I see Floyd putting in some real work. He usually goes softer on the bag when the camera is on.

i'm not impressed because

A it's a super heavybag and punches come back way faster, almost like hitting a wall

B he's the best

Question to you boxing experts:

Is his jab a bit "hooked", or it's just me? Isn't it a bit different from a classic jab?
Is it because of the Philly shell, or does it have another purpose?

Question to you boxing experts:

Is his jab a bit "hooked", or it's just me? Isn't it a bit different from a classic jab?
Is it because of the Philly shell, or does it have another purpose?

Good eye there it does look like he's lifting up his elbow and "winging it" a bit, which is definitely telegraphing it. I dont think he would have done that in his prime.

Don't even recall him jabbing this way in the ring. Looks like he's just intent on taking it out on the bag more than anything (with a type of punch that he knows wont injure his hands, as the power is still limited), and he's hitting harder and more carefree now that he doesn't have to worry about it spoiling his fighting (or being reviewed by future opponents) now that he's retired.

I wouldn't use this specific video to have a beginner learn by taking notes on it. Plenty/most of his other vids/footage, I definitely would.

@Reyesnuthugr

Thanks for the answer man.

You're welcome.

Now that I think of it a little more, I'd like to refine my answer-- it looks like he is testing/practicing a single element of his jab. Either speed or power (possibly both). Not concentrating on form, though.

Clearly this is not a (or his) textbook jab, so if someone wants to copy this, please do (and get rekt) then report back. Floyd has spend his whole life doing everything crisp and now he's retired so either way he can afford to experiment like this. Go ahead though, if you want to prove me wrong. Interesting results await.

I think this video might be from his camp for the mcgregor fight

I think this video might be from his camp for the mcgregor fight

Yeah he does look mostly in shape. I still can see that he's training a single aspect of the jab rather than the whole jab itself. Watch the jabs in his fights if you want to emulate. A lot of boxers (including Conor) do weird stuff in their public boxing exhibits to throw off any scouting done by the opponent's side before the fight.

Well floyd uses many different jabs.

Or lead hand straight punches. I guess thats a better term.

Watch the canelo fight. He uses fast light jabs, powerfull jabs, and even some backfist like jabs

Back