Floyd Mayweather & Sugar Ray Leonard go at it on Instagram

Show respect where respect is due FLOYD!

Floyd is 50-0, his best attribute throughout his career was negating the effect of opponents punches.

Why does every mythical matchup involving Floyd bring out people predicting Floyd gets stopped early? Put Floyd at his lowest weight against atgs miles bigger than him then yeah. Even if you consider him the underdog he is live in a fight at 147 with hearns.
That's just not possible against Hearns.
The reason why it's plausible to think Floyd gets stopped early against Hearns is because Hearns is Floyd's ultimate stylistic threat, AND Floyd's style doesn't allow him to have the activity to overcome the balance that weighs heavily in favour of Hearns' offensive work. Hearns would even take a fight by effective aggression if it isn't on the basis of pure-landed punches, in this matchup. It's an easier job for Hearns to beat Floyd than it was Benitez.

One big reason why people say Hearns stops Floyd too is because Hearns is at his absolute best at 147-154, whereas Mayweather was at his best from 130-140. I believe he was at his best at 140 but 130 is his best in terms of athletic ability at a weight.

The reason why it's plausible to think Floyd gets stopped early against Hearns is because Hearns is Floyd's ultimate stylistic threat, AND Floyd's style doesn't allow him to have the activity to overcome the balance that weighs heavily in favour of Hearns' offensive work. Hearns would even take a fight by effective aggression if it isn't on the basis of pure-landed punches, in this matchup. It's an easier job for Hearns to beat Floyd than it was Benitez.

One big reason why people say Hearns stops Floyd too is because Hearns is at his absolute best at 147-154, whereas Mayweather was at his best from 130-140. I believe he was at his best at 140 but 130 is his best in terms of athletic ability at a weight.

But that's only because of Hearns physical attributes. Mayweather is a far superior boxer. The reach advantage alone would kill him. Hearns is simply too big.

could go somewhat the way of camacho/trinidad. floyd would never be able to close the distance because of tommys big right hand and would fight defensively content to take a ud loss.

not a fair fight for floyd because mayweather was much smaller than tommy. floyd should be judged at 130 to 140, undeniably an all-time great like mosely.

You guys claiming anyone stops Floyd are only indulging your wildest dreams. There has NEVER been a scenario in his career unless you want to point to earlier times like against Corley. 130 -140 Mayweather may have been more of a destroyer cause he actually got in there to take guys out, but if we are talking prime Floyd it's the 2006 - 2007 Judah - Baldomir - De La Hoya - Hatton year and nobody is KO'ing him.

I like floyd but he makes a div of himself with capers like this

could go somewhat the way of camacho/trinidad. floyd would never be able to close the distance because of tommys big right hand and would fight defensively content to take a ud loss.

not a fair fight for floyd because mayweather was much smaller than tommy. floyd should be judged at 130 to 140, undeniably an all-time great like mosely.
I agree. For me at Welterweight, Mayweather doesn't fare AS well in these hypothetical matchups.
From 130-140, now we're talking. More so 130-135. At 130-135, the talent pool hasn't been as strong, though.

Fighters from 60's onwards from 130-140 who Mayweather LOSES TO:
Duran
Whitaker (Mayweather beats Whitaker at 147, though)
De La Hoya (slight edge only)
Napoles
Lomachenko (Mayweather beats Lomachenko at 140 obviously, possibly 135 because Loma is too small, but not at 130)

50:50 -
Pacquiao

That's only 5 names in all of history at those 3 weight classes, Money May is a beast.

Floyd's got that generational privilege meaning he missed multiple ass whoopin's by a couple decades.

But that's only because of Hearns physical attributes. Mayweather is a far superior boxer. The reach advantage alone would kill him. Hearns is simply too big.
I don't think Mayweather is the superior boxer. Hearns is the hardest to 'outpoint' in history. I think Mayweather can be outboxed by some of the very best i.e SRL, Napoles, Hearns etc. It's best to stick to matchups at his prime weights, rather than putting him against the bigger welterweights although he beats some greats there, too.

I don't think Mayweather is the superior boxer. Hearns is the hardest to 'outpoint' in history. I think Mayweather can be outboxed by some of the very best i.e SRL, Napoles, Hearns etc. It's best to stick to matchups at his prime weights, rather than putting him against the bigger welterweights although he beats some greats there, too.

Agreed. Hearns outboxed Leonard!! Leonard only won the fight because of the late TKO. He couldn't outpoint Tommy. Hearns had an amazing game plan, implemented it perfectly, and then successfully adapted to Leonard's own adaptation. What a fight. The Leonard comeback win is so incredible.

I think Napoles would be very problematic for Mayweather, but not because he'd "outbox" him.

Back