Floyd Mayweather v Fantastic Four

FightGuyOpenMind

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Not the superheroes.

Duran, Leonard, Hagler, Hearns

Floyd and Leonard exchanged words in recent years. This got me thinking, how would he fare in that era. Does he come out undefeated?

Who does he beat, who does he lose to and why?

Understand that Hagler was a middleweight, feel free to apply catchweight in that situation.

What is most important is the analysis of their skills. Styles make fights.

How does Floyd fare against any of them, and why?

One o think it is impossible to say any of these guys is garenteed to win against of the others 10/10 times.

But the matches that I would favor Floyd with having a more wins or even to slightly losing column would be against Duran and Hearns. Hagler has the most advantages and Leonard is behind him.
As far as Duran is concerned his most obvious advantages are his inside fighting ability. He also has fantastic defense and can hit. It’s a big ask but I could see Floyd managing to put manuever Duran and land big rights and body jabs also Floyd’s uppercuts and fast pivoting would be a huge weapon for him in these fights.
Hearns I have gone over this before, but he has the most potential to early KO Floyd but he also has the most potential to slapped around and break.

id pick all 4 over floyd.

Hearns keeps Floyd at the end of his punches and sparks from a distance. Floyd will have to come forward and I don't see that going well for him.

Hagler respects nothing about Mayweather's power switches stances and uses feints for different looks to open that small hole in Mayweather's defense and pressures him with a powerful 1-2 until Floyd breaks.

Duran being the shortest of them all brings the fight inside, and if allowed to collar tie and clinch fight gets the better of that exchange. He wears Floyd down. We saw how Maidana's pressure seemed to fluster or at least catch Floyd off guard in their first meeting. Although I think he clearly won, Duran I believe would be on another level in that department.

Leonard beats him however he wants to, I think Leonard would be the hardest for Floyd to face because he could choose how he fought at will. Plus the speed, the height advantage and the footwork would be amazing attributes to bring to the ring against Mayweather.

This is all speculation but I don't favor Floyd in any of these matchups either. Not only is he the smaller man in all of the contests minus one, he is the less physical out of any of the fighters.

He would beat Hagler and Duran. Leonard and Hearns would be tougher stylistic matchups.

Anyone saying Hagler would beat Floyd is simply ignoring all we know about Hagler and picking the legendary name.

He would beat Hagler and Duran. Leonard and Hearns would be tougher stylistic matchups.

Anyone saying Hagler would beat Floyd is simply ignoring all we know about Hagler and picking the legendary name.

How do you think he beats Hagler and Duran? Hagler has only ever lost 3 decision victories. 62 wins 52 kos. That shovel forehead of his is hard. lol You believe Floyd has enough juice in his often injured hands to keep a Hagler off of him? You think Floyd's philly shell can hold up to the body punching of Duran?

Hagler fought at 160lbs his entire career. He never wouldve fought Floyd.

yeah i think hagler might be a bit big for him.

What a talking point <YayKpop>
Do you have any substantive arguments that should make me commit to d substantive argument on ge subject

All 4 of them beat him.
Every bit as good as him but bigger and stronger.

What a talking point <YayKpop>
Do you have any substantive arguments that should make me commit to d substantive argument on ge subject
Its pretty obvious to anyone familiar with the 2 fighters. Aggression never got the job done against Floyd at his peak and he fought some of the better offensive fighters of his era.

On the other hand, you have Hagler, who got outboxed at multiple points in his career by lesser guys than Floyd. Hagler beat guys by dragging them into slugfests. No one did that to Floyd. Floyd would clown him.

Duran, same deal. Anyone Duran could force into a "real fight" would come up short. Box him up a little and he couldn't really deal with it. Look at him against Benitez or against Leonard the second time.

How do you think he beats Hagler and Duran? Hagler has only ever lost 3 decision victories. 62 wins 52 kos. That shovel forehead of his is hard. lol You believe Floyd has enough juice in his often injured hands to keep a Hagler off of him? You think Floyd's philly shell can hold up to the body punching of Duran?

<{clintugh}>

I don't understand where the bold comes from, or Clint Eastwood insert. Floyd uses the philly shell does he not? Fighters tend to head hunt Floyd when he uses it and he fights off the back foot picking his shots. Duran could make the fight an ugly one but be effective in wearing at the arms or eventually finding an opening granted he doesn't allow Floyd the center of the ring or the chance to pivot off the ropes. Punch to the chest to throw Floyd off balance instead of trying to hit his moving head. Do you disagree?

I don't understand where the bold comes from, or Clint Eastwood insert. Floyd uses the philly shell does he not? Fighters tend to head hunt Floyd when he uses it and he fights off the back foot picking his shots. Duran could make the fight an ugly one but be effective in wearing at the arms or eventually finding an opening granted he doesn't allow Floyd the center of the ring or the chance to pivot off the ropes. Punch to the chest to throw Floyd off balance instead of trying to hit his moving head. Do you disagree?

I’m being a dick. “Philly shell” isn’t what Floyd does, Floyd Sr. calls it the crab. He learned it from a guy named Dale Williams from Michigan. Here’s a decent article on the subject.

https://www.ianstreetz.com/single-p...es-7-The-Crouching-Crab-Crab-and-Philly-Shell

I’m being a dick. “Philly shell” isn’t what Floyd does, Floyd Sr. calls it the crab. He learned it from a guy named Dale Williams from Michigan. Here’s a decent article on the subject.

https://www.ianstreetz.com/single-p...es-7-The-Crouching-Crab-Crab-and-Philly-Shell

Lol hahha. Tbh I know the name had been debated and thought you may have bolded it because of this. However, I did not wish to assume so I posed a question. I've never seen this article so thanks for the read. I actually told someone Floyd doesn't use the "Philly Shell" some years ago and made reference to Ken Norton. That is why this is funny to me.

Tbh, I don't too much see the difference when it is applied outside of the shot selection and one being offensive v one being defensive. There are other differences when you break down the technical points as the article shows, but the chance of crossover would undoubtedly be high in a live situation. It's like the right hand v the overhand right. But yeah, you are particular and I can not be mad at that. Fair game.

Its pretty obvious to anyone familiar with the 2 fighters. Aggression never got the job done against Floyd at his peak and he fought some of the better offensive fighters of his era.

On the other hand, you have Hagler, who got outboxed at multiple points in his career by lesser guys than Floyd. Hagler beat guys by dragging them into slugfests. No one did that to Floyd. Floyd would clown him.

Duran, same deal. Anyone Duran could force into a "real fight" would come up short. Box him up a little and he couldn't really deal with it. Look at him against Benitez or against Leonard the second time.
Eh this isn’t really fair. If I picked out the opponents that gave floyd the most problems it would be guys who were right in his face (like castillo)

I think I still agree with you that he probably would beat Hagler but thats about haglers deficiencies like you pointed out.

Duran is closer

Eh this isn’t really fair. If I picked out the opponents that gave floyd the most problems it would be guys who were right in his face (like castillo)

I think I still agree with you that he probably would beat Hagler but thats about haglers deficiencies like you pointed out.

Duran is closer

The ref I believe would be the deciding factor in these matchups. If you have a ref who is ok with pushing the action in the clinch I think Floyd will have a long night. If the ref breaks them and allows Floyd the opportunity to reset and establish his range, I think it will be more of the same defensive "crab" (@Dr. Shoemaker) lol and picking shots. Right hand and duck out, reset the distance and start again. Check hook pivot left. Jab to the body. He'll pick his shots well if allowed the range. If these matches are physical I just don't see Floyd winning anything. Hagler may be my weakest argument that can be countered, but the other three I'm almost positive on.

The ref I believe would be the deciding factor in these matchups. If you have a ref who is ok with pushing the action in the clinch I think Floyd will have a long night. If the ref breaks them and allows Floyd the opportunity to reset and establish his range, I think it will be more of the same defensive "crab" (@Dr. Shoemaker) lol and picking shots. Right hand and duck out, reset the distance and start again. Check hook pivot left. Jab to the body. He'll pick his shots well if allowed the range. If these matches are physical I just don't see Floyd winning anything. Hagler may be my weakest argument that can be countered, but the other three I'm almost positive on.
Yeah who the ref is, is very important to Floyd's success. In the Hatton fight as soon as they got into a clinch Joe Cortez would split them apart and Hatton would have to start from the outside all over again. Hatton was literally hamstrung because he couldn't work at his favourite range. I think he would use the same strategy vs Duran and tie him up whenever it came close to the inside.

Back