Floyd Mayweather VS Marcos Maidana 9 PM ET/ 6 PM PT on PPV DISCUSSION

Watched and scored again, 8-4 Mayweather. About as close as the De La Hoya fight, which is not that close at all. Clear win.

Maidana won: 1, 4, 5, 8

Mayweather took the rest. Harder, cleaner shots landed throughout. Will post some more analysis tomorrow.

Watched and scored again, 8-4 Mayweather. About as close as the De La Hoya fight, which is not that close at all. Clear win.

Maidana won: 1, 4, 5, 8

Mayweather took the rest. Harder, cleaner shots landed throughout. Will post some more analysis tomorrow.

I had it 7-5 Mayweather.

Maidana imo won: 1, 3, 4, 5 and 8.

Although Floyd dug pretty deep to take control and started banging Maidana as hard as I've ever seen him throw with bad intentions, I thought Floyd still could've done more and possibly KO Maidana when he started landing cleanly down the stretch. If he had turned some of those 3 punch combos into multiple 3-5 punch combos 3-4 times a round and stayed on Maidana harder it could've started to look like the Gatti fight. Maidana was clearly shaken by Floyd's offense at times and stopped coming forward. But then again how many times have we seen Maidana catch a guy cause they're too open offensively. Floyd walked the thin ice a little further out than usual but didn't jump in feet first.

I think THAT is the definition of All Time Great vs a Top 20 great. When a guy like Ali, for example, even after being behind in a fight gets the momentum, you don't see them let off the gas, you see them end the fight in dominating and spectacular fashion, knocking the opponent out down the stretch. And you clearly see that they were trying to win in spectacular fashion. I'm not so sure Floyd tried to do that. He turned it up to where he needed to, to keep Maidana off of him, but he didn't really show a TBE type finish that would put him up there with the "Great" greats. I know there's several guys in this forum that think Maidana won and some that feel it should've been a draw etc. This makes my point, the stage was set: How great would it have been if Floyd had knocked Maidana down once or twice and even went in for the kill to finish him in the late rounds, AFTER clearly being behind and stressed/pressed physically early on? Floyd had Marcos stung a couple times and laid off instead of throwing two more hard shots right behind it, which may have done some serious damage. Maidana wasn't prepared to counter some of that shit Floyd was sending out, Chino couldn't even see most of that stuff coming. At a point Floyd had the chances to dominate, but just did enough (albeit "enough" was more than he's been pressed to do in previous fights, but he could've done more). He really looked like he could do anything he wanted to, to Maidana by the 9th and 10th round.

Finishing one of his toughest fights to date, (a fight that some people say he could've lost), in the type of fashion that makes us all stand up and clap saying "wow", cause he actually put on a spectacular show of combos and strikes and relentless attack to get Marcos Maidana out of there (with stuff we KNOW he has in his arsenal, we've seen it in his PBF days); would have earned some serious points toward the argument of being The Best Ever. Making a statement in the ring as if to say ""I'm pissed off that you made this fight hard on me, and now I'm gonna finish this by embarrassing you into oblivion as I stand over your collapsed body in the ring in the 12th....

He may be the most "Hardest to Beat Ever", but didn't help towards being considered "The Best Ever". The Greats figure out how to win, the Best close the show.
Oddly I was impressed, yet disappointed by Floyd's victory last night.

Scores are all over the place with this fight. Proof how close it was. Great fight overall.

Post fight press conference. Some funny moments.

Pretty interesting. Floyd said Cotto was a harder fight, and Canelo hits harder than Maidana. "Canelo hit me with a right hook that I STILL feel".

Re-watched in HD and sober. This was a lot closer and more entertaining then I previously thought. I didn't score it live but I thought that Mayweather won by at least 2 rounds and would maybe understand a draw at most for Maidana as a charity case.

Before the re-watch I was sure that I would have it even more wide but it came down to the last round and I think I gave Floyd the 12th with the last shot he landed of the fight. I had it 6-5-1 Mayweather but this could have easily been a Maidana win, and I thought May won comfortable against Cotto and dominated DLH, this fight was as close as Castillo 1 and could have gone either way.

Mayweather looked bad and didn't start looking like the p4p fighter until the 9th round, he needed to sweep the second half of the fight and I gave him that benefit even though 2 of those rounds were razor thin. Was it the age, distractions or Maidana's early body shots? Anyway way you see it his legs and timing looked bad in the first 6+ rounds, borderline shot territory physically. Maybe it was an off night against a rugged determined opponent, but he looked off balance even when going forward and there were times when Maidana was out jabbing him and even countering well!

Mayweather has a good chin and underrated toughness (besides blood I guess, he's lucky the blood stopped because he was really uncomfortable) to go along with all his skill and experience, so he can still be at the top. It was just so weird seeing him struggle coming off the excellent performance against Canelo, he might have aged overnight. Maidana has improved and showed a ton of heart/chin but he ain't that good to have clipped the Mayweather we know as much as he did even with that awkward style.

It was a good fight and the roughhouse stuff canceled each other out, Mayweather clinched too much and should have been officially warned at least. Weeks did a good job breaking them.

A rematch or vs Porter or Thurman are suddenly much more interesting. Khan doesn't deserve it.

I had it 7-5 Mayweather.

Maidana imo won: 1, 3, 4, 5 and 8.

Although Floyd dug pretty deep to take control and started banging Maidana as hard as I've ever seen him throw with bad intentions, I thought Floyd still could've done more and possibly KO Maidana when he started landing cleanly down the stretch. If he had turned some of those 3 punch combos into multiple 3-5 punch combos 3-4 times a round and stayed on Maidana harder it could've started to look like the Gatti fight. Maidana was clearly shaken by Floyd's offense at times and stopped coming forward. But then again how many times have we seen Maidana catch a guy cause they're too open offensively. Floyd walked the thin ice a little further out than usual but didn't jump in feet first.

I think THAT is the definition of All Time Great vs a Top 20 great. When a guy like Ali, for example, even after being behind in a fight gets the momentum, you don't see them let off the gas, you see them end the fight in dominating and spectacular fashion, knocking the opponent out down the stretch. And you clearly see that they were trying to win in spectacular fashion. I'm not so sure Floyd tried to do that. He turned it up to where he needed to, to keep Maidana off of him, but he didn't really show a TBE type finish that would put him up there with the "Great" greats. I know there's several guys in this forum that think Maidana won and some that feel it should've been a draw etc. This makes my point, the stage was set: How great would it have been if Floyd had knocked Maidana down once or twice and even went in for the kill to finish him in the late rounds, AFTER clearly being behind and stressed/pressed physically early on? Floyd had Marcos stung a couple times and laid off instead of throwing two more hard shots right behind it, which may have done some serious damage. Maidana wasn't prepared to counter some of that shit Floyd was sending out, Chino couldn't even see most of that stuff coming. At a point Floyd had the chances to dominate, but just did enough (albeit "enough" was more than he's been pressed to do in previous fights, but he could've done more). He really looked like he could do anything he wanted to, to Maidana by the 9th and 10th round.

Finishing one of his toughest fights to date, (a fight that some people say he could've lost), in the type of fashion that makes us all stand up and clap saying "wow", cause he actually put on a spectacular show of combos and strikes and relentless attack to get Marcos Maidana out of there (with stuff we KNOW he has in his arsenal, we've seen it in his PBF days); would have earned some serious points toward the argument of being The Best Ever. Making a statement in the ring as if to say ""I'm pissed off that you made this fight hard on me, and now I'm gonna finish this by embarrassing you into oblivion as I stand over your collapsed body in the ring in the 12th....

He may be the most "Hardest to Beat Ever", but didn't help towards being considered "The Best Ever". The Greats figure out how to win, the Best close the show.
Oddly I was impressed, yet disappointed by Floyd's victory last night.

We disagree on the third round and I don't think it was all that close, I believe Maidana fooled a lot of people in that round and caught some attention that meant Mayweather's work was largely ignored. It's a good round to watch with the sound off.

how is thurman more deserving than khan ?

Because he looks the better fighter and would have a much better chance against Mayweather. Khan had a decent win last night against a faded guy. Let him beat another WW first, besides Khan isn't fighting this September.

Because he looks the better fighter and would have a much better chance against Mayweather. Khan had a decent win last night against a faded guy. Let him beat another WW first, besides Khan isn't fighting this September.

and thurman just beat a faded lightweight coming off a loss to amir khan ...

let thurman beat someone with a pulse first before putting him against mayweather.

Thurman has KO power. In a perfect world the Pac fight would get made and all the rest would fight each other to prove themselves worthy..eh

I like Thurman but he needs to stay away from Floyd He's not ready. You can't go from fighting Diego Chavez and Julio Diaz to fighting Floyd.

The way Floyd stayed at the end of those punches even up close is ridiculous.

One could say its a testament to his greatness.

iu ahve been hexed!
PaqBrad2.gif

Oh god, this is really creepy, no BS.

Back