Floyd Patterson vs Rocky Marciano

Well, to be fair...

Back then you didn't have guys move in the ring the way guys do in modern times like Mayweather, Loma, and Saunders either. LOTS of guys lumbered forward moving their head's just enough to not be a stationary target.

He may have gotten dropped by Jersey Joe but the punch that dropped Joe looked like it had killed him.
lomachenko wouldn't last a heartbeat against homicide hank (henry armstrong). old school pro was just a different style, one the not a lot of modern fans understand or appreciate.

i hear ya...the thing is, when i watch videos of rocky, i just can't believe how clumsy the guy was, how slow, crude...dude had two left feet and below average speed and led with his face...no defense at all. he beat a buncha old men....and charles, who was old, but not that old at the time, beat him...i remember once watching a video of rocky and feeling a little bit of disgust at his terrible technique.

Liebling called him "a crude phenomenon." It's accurate and must be appreciated. Call it crude, but Goldman and Bimstein knew how to make the most out of what he was. He threw a great right, so they added a left hook to come back with. He was shorter so he shuffled and DID move his head. His defense wasn't non-existent because nobody takes the amount of clean punches you think he took and could still function afterward.

You don't respect him, but that doesn't he wasn't good enough. And, for the record, a lot of those guy only really started looking old after he thumped them.

We can't take all the credit away from a guy that everyone that he could. He wasn't in a great era, but most eras for HW's really weren't that great.

He's is great in accomplishments, determination, and unwavering heart; he has average skills. He became great with that combination.

Rocky was incredily overrated. He was lucky to exist when he did. He had glaring deficiecies. He would never win against Liston, Ali, Frazier, Foreman, Holmes, Tyson, Lennox, Vitali, Vladimir, Holyfield. He may have never been a champ if he had been born later.

Patterson was fast enough to be competitive at cruiser or heavy if he put on a little weight.

Patterson cleans Rocky with speed and power 8 out of 10 times imho.

Rocky was incredily overrated. He was lucky to exist when he did. He had glaring deficiecies. He would never win against Liston, Ali, Frazier, Foreman, Holmes, Tyson, Lennox, Vitali, Vladimir, Holyfield. He may have never been a champ if he had been born later.

Patterson was fast enough to be competitive at cruiser or heavy if he put on a little weight.

i wonder how many people with those kinds of opinions have even watched Rocky's fights. I used to say things like that before i did.

i wonder how many people with those kinds of opinions have even watched Rocky's fights. I used to say things like that before i did.
i used to clown rocky, until i learnt how to box and started actually understanding what i was watching. now he is one of my favourites. his set ups where ridiculously sneaky.

Liebling called him "a crude phenomenon." It's accurate and must be appreciated. Call it crude, but Goldman and Bimstein knew how to make the most out of what he was. He threw a great right, so they added a left hook to come back with. He was shorter so he shuffled and DID move his head. His defense wasn't non-existent because nobody takes the amount of clean punches you think he took and could still function afterward.

You don't respect him, but that doesn't he wasn't good enough. And, for the record, a lot of those guy only really started looking old after he thumped them.

We can't take all the credit away from a guy that everyone that he could. He wasn't in a great era, but most eras for HW's really weren't that great.

He's is great in accomplishments, determination, and unwavering heart; he has average skills. He became great with that combination.
rocky was nowhere near great.

sounds like you just don't know what your watching. here's what your missing, marciano had one of the shortest most destructive left uppercuts to the body ever, he would loop wide punches but it was usually to set up short shots or vice versa. his defence was ridiculously underrated and his ability to parry jabs and move in before they could circle away was amazing. there is a reason that even the best boxers couldn't keep him off. i have learnt more from watching marciano than any other fighter. if you what to learn how to set up power rights watch marciano. usually people that can marciano have done a little bit of amateur boxing but have very little idea about professional boxing. any old school boxer that tried to keep their guard up like a modern amateur would have been destroyed.
marciano was shit.

You could just say "he's white", TBiz.
wtf does race have to do with anything? your'e like the third dude on here who brings up race where it doesn't belong. i'm talking about rocky's skills... not his race, you racist turd. i don't even see color.

dude, we've ALL seen his fights...thats how we know exactly how overrated he is.

i used to clown rocky, until i learnt how to box and started actually understanding what i was watching. now he is one of my favourites. his set ups where ridiculously sneaky.
look at all these dudes, tryna pretend there was more to rocky than just a crude, slow, clumsy slugger....ezzard charles said rocky wasn't even as good as walcott...and charles would know because he fought walcott 4 times and rocky twice...sorry but you're <TrumpWrong1>

wtf does race have to do with anything? your'e like the third dude on here who brings up race where it doesn't belong. i'm talking about rocky's skills... not his race, you racist turd. i don't even see color.

Your postings are obvious to anyone.
The pattern of your insane fighter mocking and undervaluing is pretty blatant.

The word "luck," breaks both ways here. One could say that Rocky is lucky for fighting in his era, but given the largest criticism being his opposition in his era, it seems decidedly unlucky for him. We'll never know how he would do against fighters from other eras and if Rocky were alive these criticisms would probably make him feel unlucky.

Ali, Duran, Holyfield, and so many more were lucky that they had the opportunity to make a legacy for themselves because other greats existed when they did.

Luck? That's a matter of perspective, just like opinions.

dude, we've ALL seen his fights...thats how we know exactly how overrated he is.
just asking, no need to get get pissed town. anyway, if you've seen his fights you know how clubbing a puncher he was, how great his stamina was, how relentless his pressure, how mentally tough he was. He did just about all the things a great fighter needs to prove himself. No one has an easy fight with a guy like that, a guy who throws sometimes over 150 punches a round without tiring, constant, relentless clubbing blows on arms, body and head, punches hard enough to break one opponents arm. No one has an easy fight as long as it lasts with him, not ali, not louis, no one. He wasn't the greatest but he was great and Patterson never makes anyone's greatest lists for whatever reason.

The word "luck," breaks both ways here. One could say that Rocky is lucky for fighting in his era, but given the largest criticism being his opposition in his era, it seems decidedly unlucky for him. We'll never know how he would do against fighters from other eras and if Rocky were alive these criticisms would probably make him feel unlucky.

Ali, Duran, Holyfield, and so many more were lucky that they had the opportunity to make a legacy for themselves because other greats existed when they did.

Luck? That's a matter of perspective, just like opinions.
"luck" is real I believe, and boy do I believe, i've seen so much talent in my life that I know that luck is a big part of things. The great fighters are often the luckiest. Ali had a ton of lucky breaks, the torn glove, Liston showing up out of shape and the rematch being postponed when he was in the best shape of his life because of Ali's hernia operation (liston quipped, "if he'd stop yelling so much he wouldn't get a hernia"). Ali got a ton of close decisions throughout his career, fights that could have been tougher, like the first quarry fight ended because of a cut etc.., etc.., as great as ali was, he was also lucky.

one more thing to chew on, most fighters train 6 weeks and many of them can't even be bothered to do that properly. Rocky trained 6 months for fights, not taking calls from his wife, away from society, obsessing over the fight.

one more thing, Patterson was a headcase, it's the reason the sportswriters used to call him "Freud Patterson" he was psyched by Liston and could be gotten to mentally. Still, for all of that, Ali called him the best technical boxer he ever fought, high praise indeed and I have no reason to doubt it, Floyd was a fine fighter.

one more thing, Patterson was a headcase, it's the reason the sportswriters used to call him "Freud Patterson" he was psyched by Liston and could be gotten to mentally. Still, for all of that, Ali called him the best technical boxer he ever fought, high praise indeed and I have no reason to doubt it, Floyd was a fine fighter.

It's always been an interesting coincidence to me how Cus ended up training two world champs in Patterson and Tyson whom both were amazing fighters that were heavily hampered by their mental issues. From what I've read on Patterson it sounded like he dealt with some serious anxiety issues.

look at all these dudes, tryna pretend there was more to rocky than just a crude, slow, clumsy slugger....ezzard charles said rocky wasn't even as good as walcott...and charles would know because he fought walcott 4 times and rocky twice...sorry but you're <TrumpWrong1>
marciano had a 68" reach and weighed 186lb and he was the heavy weight champion of the world. he was a 100X the fighter wilder ever will be. you boy only wins because of his physical advantages. do you box? or are you just a know it all. have you seen ezzard's second fight against marciano? marciano absolutely demolished him, despite charles landing his best punch repeatedly. are you stupid? how do you think the bloke got where he did if he had no skill?

Back