Flyweight boxer Waseem loses WBC world title shot due to Lack of funds

Sakuraba7

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Waseem loses world title shot due to lack of funds
https://arysports.tv/waseem-loses-world-title-shot/

WBC Silver Flyweight Champion, Muhammad Waseem has lost his World title shot that he had to fight against Daigo Higa in January and another boxer has replaced the Pakistani pro boxer in the fight.

Andy Kim, Waseem’s South Korean promoter, told ARY News that having a title fight has become impossible for Waseem due to lack of funds and financial support from his home country.

“I have spent all my money on Waseem, I cannot invest anymore in him,” said Any Kim, “Everything is going against Waseem, and in fact, another boxer has now replaced him in the title fight against Higa.”

Andy Kim further told that Muhammad Waseem, who is also known as Falcon Khan, is a top notch pugilist, which is why he invested in him so much without any gain.

“Waseem is a top quality fighter, which is why I supported him. But, he is not in my top priorities anymore,” Kim stated.

He further revealed that he has written a letter to the top officials of Pakistan government to help Waseem, like they did in the past. The funds that were earlier released by Pakistan government were solely spent on boxer’s training.

If Waseem fails to defend his title in the coming days, he can lose his top position in his weight category, moreover, he can be ripped off from his WBC Silver Flyweight Champion.

Earlier, Andy Kim told ARY Sports that he regret signing the boxer everyday as he has not make any proit from it, instead he has invested all his financials that he earned from his distribution business.

“I am paying for everything with the profit I earn from my distribution business but I am really breaking my back doing it,” Kim stated. “I regret every day signing him because it’s been minus all the way,” he told.

Kim had high hopes for the boxer who hails from Quetta, he wanted him to be remembered as one of the most respected sports personalities of the world.

“I hope this difficult period won’t last long and he gets his well-deserved rewards, live happily with comfort and honour,” Kim wished for the Falcon Khan.

An example of the trouble 3rd world fighters have when trying to make it in the boxing game, esp. when they're from a non-fighting country. Can have all the talent and skill, but if they don't have the financial prowess then they've no chance to break in. African fighters face the same problem.

Waseem (WBC #1) was originally scheduled to fight Daigo Higa for the WBC belt. Higa will instead be facing Moises Fuentes (WBC #10) of Mexico on February 4th.

Heres hoping someone like Amir Khan or maybe Tom Loeffler can sign this guy. Wouldn't mind seeing him fight on Superfly 2. Waseem was supposed to be one of the TOP prospects at Flyweight.

He was training with Jeff Mayweather only a year ago too:

He and Jeff still talk all the time and he is technically still his trainer, I guess. The problem is that Waseem doesnt have the money to come here. Jeff was able to go down to Panama with him for his last couple fights (ironically, the second fight was against my wife's childhood next door neighbor). I know of one person who may be able to help him, but not sure if he will considering all the political hoops. But he is a fellow Muslim so maybe that will inspire him

that poor kid has been so screwed over by Pakistan. And if there really is anyone worth rooting for, its him. he is one of the nicest kids i have ever met. hopefully jeff has some other people that might be able to help him out

Right, people love to take photos but don't put in the muscle. Shame he can't get any finances from back home, and his South Korean backer has run dry just as he was on that cusp of a world title shot.

I do put some blame on Waseem too, i dont know if he tried as hard to get sponsorship the way his team applied to get government grants. I read an article he got a 24 million Rupees grant from the state. Its only 220k in US dollars, but still a big hefty amount in terms of rupees. Could feed a village for a year IMO. I do wonder how much he approached actual businessmen and conglomerates.

Since you in the boxing business i assume, you think he can get in touch with Loeffler for a show on Superfly 2 to defend his Silver belt? Then in the meantime maybe he can find a promoter to sign to– for his inevitable WBC world titleshot. Maybe someone comes to his rescue by that time. Problem is, he's not that well known. But everyone jumps on bandwagons, so once he gains a name i can imagine Pakistani diaspora in the UK and Dubai/Qatar jumping on his bandwagon. I don't think they know he exists!

That's a shame. I didn't give him much of a shot against Higa, but it sucks that he never even got the chance to fight him because of financial issues.

I hope he can come back.

sounds like every other sport or business

but i think higa is still a couple leagues above this kid

Right, people love to take photos but don't put in the muscle. Shame he can't get any finances from back home, and his South Korean backer has run dry just as he was on that cusp of a world title shot.

I do put some blame on Waseem too, i dont know if he tried as hard to get sponsorship the way his team applied to get government grants. I read an article he got a 24 million Rupees grant from the state. Its only 220k in US dollars, but still a big hefty amount in terms of rupees. Could feed a village for a year IMO. I do wonder how much he approached actual businessmen and conglomerates.

Since you in the boxing business i assume, you think he can get in touch with Loeffler for a show on Superfly 2 to defend his Silver belt? Then in the meantime maybe he can find a promoter to sign to– for his inevitable WBC world titleshot. Maybe someone comes to his rescue by that time. Problem is, he's not that well known. But everyone jumps on bandwagons, so once he gains a name i can imagine Pakistani diaspora in the UK and Dubai/Qatar jumping on his bandwagon. I don't think they know he exists!

Sounds like this promoter is up to no good. He got 220 thousand dollars in a governent handout for someone that is still on paper a prospect, not a champ, and for some odd reason his promoter wasted it on training, and 4rounders against cans in south america??
What was his strategy? Maybe he thought Waseem couldn't take Higa then, well then he should've targeted Shiming back then or Kimura and tried to get some notoriety for his guy

Sounds like this promoter is up to no good. He got 220 thousand dollars in a governent handout for someone that is still on paper a prospect, not a champ, and for some odd reason his promoter wasted it on training, and 4rounders against cans in south america??
What was his strategy? Maybe he thought Waseem couldn't take Higa then, well then he should've targeted Shiming back then or Kimura and tried to get some notoriety for his guy

He's the Silver champ, which is the WBC's second tier belt. He got the grant after he won his belt. I don't think the promoter's at fault at all. Waseem only turned professional because he couldn't secure the funds to pursue his amateur career representing Pakistan, so he signed with Kim as his promoter.

Even if he fought cans in south america, that still costs money (training, travel, expenses). Running out of 200k in 2 years isn't exactly unrealistic. Some might have been used to pay Kim for his investment thus far, who knows.

The fact that he won a Silver belt, and got a World title shot is EVIDENCE that the promoter did his job. He got 2 major title shots in 3 years, that's an incredible success rate from any promoter. The promoter has complained that Waseem's fights aren't being picked up by TV back home in Pak, so its pretty obvious where the discrepancy is.

The WBC mandated the fights in Panama before he would become eligible to fight for the main title. Thats what those fights were for. And Panama is not in South America, it's in Central America.

He actually got about 100,000 for 3 training camps. the government lied about the amount they dished out. jeff mayweather really likes him, so he is trying to do some things. hopefully something works out

Is it normal for national governments to fund a boxers pro career?

He actually got about 100,000 for 3 training camps. the government lied about the amount they dished out. jeff mayweather really likes him, so he is trying to do some things. hopefully something works out
he might end up with TMT

Huge, if true. Even if nothing happens I'm glad we tried, and im glad you got the word out to the OG. <LynchWink>

Is it normal for national governments to fund a boxers pro career?

If they want to, then yes. I believe some Kazakh fighters get backing from their state. China just closed a deal with Pacquiao a few weeks ago about a Pacquiao boxing academy in China.

he might end up with TMT
that'd be good honestly. The lighter weight classes need all the marketing they can get in the US and with floyd's name behind Waseem, that would definitely give him a profile boost. That said, Waseem needs at least a few more fights before he's ready for a Higa or a Nietes. If he really wants to get a quick step up, he should face Kimura (though Kimura beat Shiming, who is kinda similar in style). The top two contenders for the WBA title are Viloria and Artem Dalakian but I wouldn't face Viloria yet; Dalakian I do'nt know much about. Waseems 30 though I think, so he's already getting up there relative to the lower weight classes, so he should stay as active as possible.

that'd be good honestly. The lighter weight classes need all the marketing they can get in the US and with floyd's name behind Waseem, that would definitely give him a profile boost. That said, Waseem needs at least a few more fights before he's ready for a Higa or a Nietes. If he really wants to get a quick step up, he should face Kimura (though Kimura beat Shiming, who is kinda similar in style). The top two contenders for the WBA title are Viloria and Artem Dalakian but I wouldn't face Viloria yet; Dalakian I do'nt know much about. Waseems 30 though I think, so he's already getting up there relative to the lower weight classes, so he should stay as active as possible.

He also has well over 200 amateur fights at high levels as well. so it isnt like he is completely untested. i hope it comes through too. you cant last too long at the lower weights

He's the Silver champ, which is the WBC's second tier belt. He got the grant after he won his belt. I don't think the promoter's at fault at all. Waseem only turned professional because he couldn't secure the funds to pursue his amateur career representing Pakistan, so he signed with Kim as his promoter.

Even if he fought cans in south america, that still costs money (training, travel, expenses). Running out of 200k in 2 years isn't exactly unrealistic. Some might have been used to pay Kim for his investment thus far, who knows.

The fact that he won a Silver belt, and got a World title shot is EVIDENCE that the promoter did his job. He got 2 major title shots in 3 years, that's an incredible success rate from any promoter. The promoter has complained that Waseem's fights aren't being picked up by TV back home in Pak, so its pretty obvious where the discrepancy is.

WBC just announced a tournament they're gonna hold at WW, where first rounders get like 15Gs second rounders get 30000, and finalist 75Gs. Again it's like he or his promoter got a 6-10 fight advance after winning the silver title, it's a business man you gotto make a name or make some hype in that process, generate some gates ( hype for sponsors and so forth). And I for one still can't see what his promoters strategy was. Who was gonna buy tickets and generate gates in freakin' Panama? even in the US? (There's a Jeff interview on youtube where he says the plan was to have him fight in the states but due to visa issues, it ended up in Panama or where ever) I know less accomplished asian boxers in the uk circuit that made a decent following and a living out of it. Just look at the Indian boxer Vijender Singh, he signed with Frank Warren (and actually had people watching his non competitve bouts there), now he is milking it big time back home wihtout even taking any risks. With this promoter's strategy, I see him unfortunately remaining broke, under utilized and without any hype. Even if he get's that big hand out from that corrupt government, and somhow beats Diga, nobody is gonna care about him in Panama or even in the US unfortunately. But best of luck to him.

are you on his team or something?

Last edited:
Difficult for a promoter to invest in a widely unknown Pakistani fighter who is at or around two difficult weightclasses. There aren’t many gimme title fights floating around and if you move class you’re moving up into a whole new world of difficulty.

What did this Korean backer want? We all saw pongsaklek lose and drop off p4p lists in a shopping mall.

Difficult for a promoter to invest in a widely unknown Pakistani fighter who is at or around two difficult weightclasses. There aren’t many gimme title fights floating around and if you move class you’re moving up into a whole new world of difficulty.

What did this Korean backer want? We all saw pongsaklek lose and drop off p4p lists in a shopping mall.

He didn't want anything in particular. Kim says he used his personal money to invest in his career since the moment he turned professional 3 years ago. It didn't pay off and now they're short on funds, and he can't continue to subsidize. I guess the biggest disappointment on his end is the lack of TV and endorsements coming in from Waseem's home country.

South Korea was never huge on boxing, and its been abysmal the last 5 years where their own fighters do shows in literal parking lots. So there was no chance foreign fighter like Waseem was ever going to make a living there, it had to be from Pak. According to the boxingscene article i linked a few posts above, he only turned pro because he couldn't get funds to continue his amateur career. Now its caught up on his pro career.

Back