Fmr CIA director US "probably" meddles in other countrie's elections, but for a good cause

By identifying Russian interests and attacking them with propaganda and sanctions, and by supporting political operatives and officials who are opposing them.
I asked why, not how. Duh.

We are absolutely the good side when it comes to Russia.

Because Russia has killed so many more other countries citizens? Oh wait

Russia was 100% the GOOD side of IRAQ, Libya and Syria. If only our leaders would have listened

You admit our sins of the past, but not Russia's? That's not a fair argument. Let's keep it current or we can start talking about the Iron Curtain, which won't get us anywhere. I won't deny the horrible shit we've done, no worries.

Right now, who is the bad actor in the world? Who is supporting Assad's war on his own people, and who is willing to slap him for it? We're certainly not conquering territory, unlike somebody I could mention. Their campaign against all of western democracy is pretty staggering too.

Dude. So wrong. Assad is not hated in Syria. Far from it.

Conquering territory? You are so far gone. Russia was invited into Syria. We were not. We armed fucking ISIS

The Cold War is not the distant past like Colonialism, it is within our lifetime. I am not lauding the Russians as good, just stating that the US isn't necessarily good either.

Assad is also ensuring the safety of the minorities, while American allies were supporting forces that wanted to genocide the minorities. The US was supporting the rebels, who were mostly made up of Sunni sectarian groups like Al Qaeda. AQ is bad when it attacks the US, but when it attacks the Russians and Assad, then it is good, Just typical US hypocrisy.

Russians aren't conquering territory either. Crimea is Russian. The people wanted to join Russia, because they are overwhelmingly Russian and were part of Russia as recently as the 60s.

I have Armenian neighbors who still have family in Syria. They 100% say Assad protected minorities and women.

We are 100% on the wrong side in this war

I can't see that we're in the wrong at this moment. Surely we should be counter-meddling right now, at least throughout Europe.

You need to get some other sources for news

There is no excuse for the citizens of this country to tolerate meddling in our own election. Sorry, even the best whataboutism is still whataboutism. But consider a case like Ukraine. Without our meddling, it's 100% Russian meddling. I have no moral problem with fighting that to try to bring them to the good side.

Not being hypocrites is an "excuse"? Some of us would prefer we conduct ourselves as a nation with principle. If you're not a hypocrite as an individual why would you advocate that for the group of us? Personally I'd like to see the US government be an example of acting above board, and a model of the good citizens controlling the government (not the other way around).

But anyway, at the very least, it's an excuse to drop the facade of outrage when you get the short end of the same stick. Live by the sword...

the sheer stupidity of that "probably"

you are a former CIA director, out of all the people that would know it for a certainty, it would be you. and we know it.

First thing I thought of. Thank you.

Not being hypocrites is an "excuse"? Some of us would prefer we conduct ourselves as a nation with principle. If you're not a hypocrite as an individual why would you advocate that for the group of us? Personally I'd like to see the US government be an example of acting above board, and a model of the good citizens controlling the government (not the other way around).

But anyway, at the very least, it's an excuse to drop the facade of outrage when you get the short end of the same stick. Live by the sword...
We're in a swordfight as it is. So, yeah, live by the sword.

I would hope we are doing our best to export the values of the republic.

Mixed results? Colonial excess? Cruelty along the back alleys of history?

Of course.

But the alternative, save for a few very dedicated Marxists and abject Isolationists should be fairly simple to see.

It is a competitive world, and for all the knives out to cut up what remains of Western ideals, the motives and methods of the other side are not something any thinking man or woman should want to see in the end.

I would hope we are doing our best to export the values of the republic.

Mixed results? Colonial excess? Cruelty along the back alleys of history?

Of course.

But the alternative, save for a few very dedicated Marxists and abject Isolationists should be fairly simple to see.

It is a competitive world, and for all the knives out to cut up what remains of Western ideals, the motives and methods of the other side are not something any thinking man or woman should want to see in the end.
I wonder when the US has ever interfered overseas because of a genuine desire to spread democracy. American intervention has always been about expanding American hegemony or advancing the interests of American allies. US foreign policy has no benevolent ideals.

i say we just let the russians choose for us. become a protectorate. so long as a clinton isnt pres, we can be cucked right? and after all, we do it to other countries.

I wonder when the US has ever interfered overseas because of a genuine desire to spread democracy. American intervention has always been about expanding American hegemony or advancing the interests of American allies. US foreign policy has no benevolent ideals.

I do not in whole disagree.

That interest is simply better than the alternative interests most times.

Although, in the past couple of decades the only interest that matters to the "ruling classes" of the various stake holders is economic.

Civil rights, democratic ideas, world trade treaties for anyone but the powerful? Few and far between.

That said, I would prefer we do more for the right interests.

They're a part of the Islamic front. They are Islamists. Not Secularists. You lied.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Storm_Brigade#History

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_Front_(Syria)

Jesus Wikipedia really? Even Wikipedia says it was a secular rebel group associates with the FSA when that picture was taken. After a lot of leadership change the group splintered with many going to the Islamic Front, but that wasn't until well after we has stopped giving them aid.

No offense, but you seem to have a very shit understanding of the complexity of the different groups and factions during the Syrian civil war.

There is no excuse for the citizens of this country to tolerate meddling in our own election. Sorry, even the best whataboutism is still whataboutism. But consider a case like Ukraine. Without our meddling, it's 100% Russian meddling. I have no moral problem with fighting that to try to bring them to the good side.

Lol.

Probably? We've done 63 coups since ww2 and give tons of money to NGOs in almost all countries countries to advocate for our preferred candidate. By "our" I mean Wall Streets.

Our last two coups were 2011 in Libya and 2009 Honduras. We're still working on Syria and Turkey so I dont count them yet.

Just business nothing personal.

Has nothing to do with democracy ideas thats for sure. Most we overthrow are democratic like Honduras where we supported the military coup against democratically elected govt

Last edited:
A "good cause" being whatever suits the money men in the USA

TimeYanks.jpg

Back