Folk Meta?

Luke Rockholds (?) kick

Carmen_basilio's_left_hook
@White
Reaction score
I'm not sure back hooks still have a good purpose for control, sub, gnp but anyone can get stalled out I was rolling with someone and the folk meta works in the part two video for grappling control on thing is to get someone to turtle up to ride there needs to be strikes invoked credit to Bjj scout for these vids but what are your opinions on folk meta interestingly Komodo dragon have folk meta to lol but that's a different topic. These videos are on Ben askren the 2x NCAA champ, the former bellator champion, and the current one fc champ askrens style may be boring to the casuals but to the non casuals it's great.
Part 1=
Part 2=
Part 3= coming soon

Last edited:
So here is a bunch of askren rides and opinions on the rides please thanks
Ben askren= 2x NCAA champ, former bellator champ, and the current one fc champ.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    758 KB · Views: 18
  • image.png
    image.png
    805.8 KB · Views: 22
  • image.png
    image.png
    847.3 KB · Views: 22
  • image.png
    image.png
    880.3 KB · Views: 22
  • image.png
    image.png
    692.2 KB · Views: 27
  • image.png
    image.png
    630.1 KB · Views: 27
  • image.png
    image.png
    852.5 KB · Views: 26
  • image.png
    image.png
    874.9 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
He's a master at wrestling. Makes me proud he is using that skillset and winning in MMA.

He's a master at wrestling. Makes me proud he is using that skillset and winning in MMA.
After doing some studying I do grappling so I can spot a lot of things but credit to Bjj scout dudes amazing at breaking things down but his study is going to be on these rides that I noticed he has not studied yet here's something to do wth the ride.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    56.2 KB · Views: 11
After doing some studying I do grappling so I can spot a lot of things but credit to Bjj scout dudes amazing at breaking things down but his study is going to be on these rides that I noticed he has not studied yet here's something to do wth the ride.
The thing I see often in MMA/BJJ is the Figure 4 on the body instead of a leg ride. In Folkstyle I believe they dont allow the Figure 4 on the body so the leg ride is essential. I think the leg ride offers some interesting scrambles and allows more setups, but could easily lose control.

Last edited:
The thing I see often in BJJ is the Figure 4 on the body instead of a leg ride. In Folkstyle I believe they dont allow the Figure 4 on the body so the leg ride is essential. I think the leg ride offers some interesting scrambles and allows more setups, but could easily lose control.
Agreed dude I'll link you this on how to maintain turtlers in rides.

At first I thought this was in the wrong forum and was going to be about folk metal.

the BJJ Scout videos are great and I admire his thinking out of the box. I have no doubts about Askren's skill but, I would like to see him implement his style against higher level opponents. It seems like he has mostly fought low-mid level opponents. Hasn't really fought anyone near his level nor top level fighters to test him.

I am 100% convinced BJJ scout is more than one guy, or is professional coach coming from an American wrestling background. What he knows about the nomenclature in folkstyle wrestling in America could not possibly come from someone who hasnt wrestled. My guess is its a collaboration.

bahaha BJJ Scout: brought to you by Dan Lukehart and Matt Holt

I am 100% convinced BJJ scout is more than one guy, or is professional coach coming from an American wrestling background. What he knows about the nomenclature in folkstyle wrestling in America could not possibly come from someone who hasnt wrestled. My guess is its a collaboration.
I think it's a collaboration, he had a forum/discussion boards going where he consulted wrestlers. He asked me for good resources on the crackdown. That was a while ago though

giphy.gif

God I miss Askren. Spent the night watching his BJJ Scout series over again. So well done.

I have no doubts about Askren's skill but, I would like to see him implement his style against higher level opponents. It seems like he has mostly fought low-mid level opponents. Hasn't really fought anyone near his level nor top level fighters to test him.
I'd argue that Koreshkov, Lima, Amoussou, are elite and could/would've done well in the UFC. Jay Hieron, despite perpetually being one of the best welterweights in the world just couldn't perform in the UFC but he was top notch as well. And we shall see how Lymon Good's UFC run ultimately goes. Askren's strength of competition is about as good as it could possibly be without having consensus top guys on his resume. Even the Aoki fight, despite being one of the more interesting style match-ups I can think of, the size difference was a little too big. So I agree with your post but barely.

Back