Footwork and head movement shadowboxing

a guy

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Hey guys, I posted this video in my fundamentals of footwork thread but I don't think a lot of people saw it so I'm gonna make a new thread for critiques. It's just a round of me shadowboxing with a focus on footwork and head movement.

I've been trying to work a lot on these things so I'd appreciate any feedback or tips you have to offer, thanks!

Edit: Here's me doing another round, this one more relaxed with less of a focus on going as fast as I can.

Last edited:
You're moving really fast. I would start with slow and smooth? I don't know what I'm talking about though

You're moving really fast. I would start with slow and smooth? I don't know what I'm talking about though

Yea I've been trying to work on moving more quickly without losing balance or technique.

So I mention this with all due respect and no intent on hate (lol want to get that out of the way).

None of the critiques mentioned here or in the other thread overly concern me, although the slight sliding feet mentioned by one poster was spot on. I think it seems obvious you're working that round with a certain tempo in mind, faster. Anyway I think that's fine imo. My BIGGEST problem? Relax, lol. You're tense. I'd rather your movements be nice and smooth and then fast as opposed to jittery and fast.

Also thanks for sharing! takes balls to put yourself out on the internet lol.

Last edited:
So I mention this with all due respect and no intent on hate (lol want to get that out of the way).

None of the critiques mentioned here or in the other thread overly concern me, although the slight sliding feet mentioned by one poster was spot on. I think it seems obvious you're working that round with a certain tempo in mind, faster. Anyway I think that's fine imo. My BIGGEST problem? Relax, lol. You're tense. I'd rather your movements be nice and smooth and then fast as opposed to jittery and fast.

Also thanks for sharing! takes balls to put yourself out on the internet lol.

It's weird everyone is saying I look tense but I feel pretty fluid when I'm moving normally. I guess I'm not sure how to move that fast (for me) and not look tense.

It's weird everyone is saying I look tense but I feel pretty fluid when I'm moving normally. I guess I'm not sure how to move that fast (for me) and not look tense.
Was that the first round? You look smoother and more fluid near the end of the round. I wonder if it was simply a warm up issue. If so, seeing a 2nd round or longer round might be informative.

Always nice to see people working specifics in shadowboxing rather than aimlessly throwing. A few things that stood out to me:

1. You seemed tense (particularly when pivoting). Like others have said slow it down.

2. Camera/mirror watching. A pet hate of mine, I'm an advocate of visualizing an opponent during shadowboxing.

3. Would be nice to see some lateral movement/throwing shots going backwards (I appreciate it's difficult in the tight space).

Was that the first round? You look smoother and more fluid near the end of the round. I wonder if it was simply a warm up issue. If so, seeing a 2nd round or longer round might be informative.

It was the last round for that session, but I had taken some time off between the previous round and when I decided to film one more.

Always nice to see people working specifics in shadowboxing rather than aimlessly throwing. A few things that stood out to me:

1. You seemed tense (particularly when pivoting). Like others have said slow it down.

2. Camera/mirror watching. A pet hate of mine, I'm an advocate of visualizing an opponent during shadowboxing.

3. Would be nice to see some lateral movement/throwing shots going backwards (I appreciate it's difficult in the tight space).

Thanks for the feedback!

1. Do you have any tips for how to be less tense while moving at full speed? I feel like I need to be a little tenser to do all the rapid change in directions and keep moving as fast as I can without compromising technique. If I could do that while more relaxed it would be great.

2. Hm I didn't see myself doing that, but I'll focus more on visualization.

3. Definitely something I could find a way to do more of. Half the reason for that is to be able to work in tight spaces anyway, right?

Thanks again!

Thanks for the feedback!

1. Do you have any tips for how to be less tense while moving at full speed? I feel like I need to be a little tenser to do all the rapid change in directions and keep moving as fast as I can without compromising technique. If I could do that while more relaxed it would be great.

2. Hm I didn't see myself doing that, but I'll focus more on visualization.

3. Definitely something I could find a way to do more of. Half the reason for that is to be able to work in tight spaces anyway, right?

Thanks again!

No worries.

1. I can only give generic advice on this, I'm sure your coach will be able to give you better comments but one way to be a little less tense is to think less. Feel the movements. One exercise we do is moving laterally (2-3 steps) and then pivoting, I feel by visualizing an opponent always helps with this.

2. I might be mistaken but 0:25 - 0:30 and a few other glances. But on the whole I don't think this was major.

3. True.

Why aren't you doing this in a gymnasium? If you spend in the gym with good fighters you will learn their pacing and become more relaxed.

The execution of your moves isn't all that bad actually. But you're like a kid who's just learnt how to speak and your trying to rap battle.

What's your goal?

Why aren't you doing this in a gymnasium? If you spend in the gym with good fighters you will learn their pacing and become more relaxed.

The execution of your moves isn't all that bad actually. But you're like a kid who's just learnt how to speak and your trying to rap battle.

What's your goal?

Don't worry I do train at a gym. Guys at my gym are just weird about filming when it's not one of the coaches doing it.

My goal for the round was constant movement--always having either my head or my feet moving, preferably both, and without losing balance. I should also mention I'm training for mma, not for boxing.

This is why I do not work without a coach anymore. And a good coach actually. I pick up too many bad habits trying to practice without direction and constant corrections.

I also noticed you being non relaxed in the previous threat. Your movement does not come naturally. There is a ton that can be said about head movement - but most importantly it has to be done very gently and relaxed, not forced. If you are forcing yourself to head movement you better clinch or run afterards or attack immediately. There is no point to dril head movement after head movement or pivot after a pivot. You can drill pivot and then run out, pivot and attack or pivot and clinch.

I also mentioned in the previous topic about the great deal my coach paid to me on being more straight and relaxed. I was in a class with an amateur MMA fighter and we got the same schooling on walking. The freaking coach tought us how to walk and then implemented that on a boxing warm up drill for back relaxation and then we did that for half an hour.

The drill is simple - hands up in a guard, step forward with left foot - strike right, step forward with the right foot over stepping the left (simple walking) and strike with the left hand forward. It has to feel natural like you are walking - very relaxed, without any tension. Repeat going back, repeat going forward. Do it for 30 mins non stop if you have to - you have to get to a very relaxed state where it feels non tiring, relaxed, guard up, chin down, staying up and hight, like a man.

Not much to comment and practicing defensive movement such as pivots or head movement. They are advanced stuff that need to be coached by a good coach who can observe and correct you so you do not pick up bad habits. But by no means they are forced movements in general. You can force them, but then again - run, hit or clinch after forcing it.

I have been tought basic distance dispersion or how to candle forward and backwards drawing hits and countering. Again these were not forced movements, but basic tactical drill which required nothing forced you stand with head slightly leaned forward a bit front foot heavy, and you draw your weight back wards to the back leg while hopefully drawing jabs. Then you move centrally and jab or cross. Simple. Nothing to force your body about.

This is why I do not work without a coach anymore. And a good coach actually. I pick up too many bad habits trying to practice without direction and constant corrections.

I also noticed you being non relaxed in the previous threat. Your movement does not come naturally. There is a ton that can be said about head movement - but most importantly it has to be done very gently and relaxed, not forced. If you are forcing yourself to head movement you better clinch or run afterards or attack immediately. There is no point to dril head movement after head movement or pivot after a pivot. You can drill pivot and then run out, pivot and attack or pivot and clinch.

I also mentioned in the previous topic about the great deal my coach paid to me on being more straight and relaxed. I was in a class with an amateur MMA fighter and we got the same schooling on walking. The freaking coach tought us how to walk and then implemented that on a boxing warm up drill for back relaxation and then we did that for half an hour.

The drill is simple - hands up in a guard, step forward with left foot - strike right, step forward with the right foot over stepping the left (simple walking) and strike with the left hand forward. It has to feel natural like you are walking - very relaxed, without any tension. Repeat going back, repeat going forward. Do it for 30 mins non stop if you have to - you have to get to a very relaxed state where it feels non tiring, relaxed, guard up, chin down, staying up and hight, like a man.

Not much to comment and practicing defensive movement such as pivots or head movement. They are advanced stuff that need to be coached by a good coach who can observe and correct you so you do not pick up bad habits. But by no means they are forced movements in general. You can force them, but then again - run, hit or clinch after forcing it.

I have been tought basic distance dispersion or how to candle forward and backwards drawing hits and countering. Again these were not forced movements, but basic tactical drill which required nothing forced you stand with head slightly leaned forward a bit front foot heavy, and you draw your weight back wards to the back leg while hopefully drawing jabs. Then you move centrally and jab or cross. Simple. Nothing to force your body about.

I'm at the gym often enough that any bad habits I develop won't be because I wasn't being supervised.

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out how to be more relaxed while keeping up the workrate and speed of movement. My whole goal for the round was to never stop moving, and to keep moving quickly. I see how it ends up looking frantic, but I don't know how to practice so many explosive movements at full speed without looking tense. I'm gonna talk to my coach about it on Monday, just hoping someone here can give some tips on that in the meantime.

I'm at the gym often enough that any bad habits I develop won't be because I wasn't being supervised.

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out how to be more relaxed while keeping up the workrate and speed of movement. My whole goal for the round was to never stop moving, and to keep moving quickly. I see how it ends up looking frantic, but I don't know how to practice so many explosive movements at full speed without looking tense. I'm gonna talk to my coach about it on Monday, just hoping someone here can give some tips on that in the meantime.

My opinion on that is that you need more tactical approach than drilling a round on head movement for example or a round on footwork. I used to do the same by the way following advices on the internet. By when I have been coached by any coach they would not make me do anything like that. All the drills, especially crafted by competent coaches, had a tactical goal in mind.

For example the candle movement (distance dispersions) you sit on the heavy bag and jab the bag. Then when you feel the bag you start jab, lean forward - the bag moves also forward and when comming back to you, you lean back and try to cross it when it goes forward again. Then repeat.

Another drill I used to do - do a simple combo (for example 1-2) it should push the heavybag forward again and when it is comming to you do a 2-1-2 to the right or going backwards.

These are tactical drills with a purpose to drill good habits to what I have experienced.

Imo drilling 1 round footwork, 1 round head movement, 1 round jab, 1 round 1-2, 1 round southpaw - the usual advice on the internet does not bring good results ... again in my experience. I was full and still full of bad habits to the point I refuse to train without a proper coach. Good for me I have found 2 proper boxing coaches comming from the same school - 1 is the coach of the other 1.

Last edited:
My opinion on that is that you need more tactical approach than drilling a round on head movement for example or a round on footwork. I used to do the same by the way following advices on the internet. By when I have been coached by any coach they would not make me do anything like that. All the drills, especially crafted by competent coaches, had a tactical goal in mind.

For example the candle movement (distance dispersions) you sit on the heavy bag and jab the bag. Then when you feel the bag you start jab, lean forward - the bag moves also forward and when comming back to you, you lean back and try to cross it when it goes forward again. Then repeat.

Another drill I used to do - do a simple combo (for example 1-2) it should push the heavybag forward again and when it is comming to you do a 2-1-2 to the right or going backwards.

These are tactical drills with a purpose to drill good habits to what I have experienced.

Imo drilling 1 round footwork, 1 round head movement, 1 round jab, 1 round 1-2, 1 round southpaw - the usual advice on the internet does not bring good results ... again in my experience. I was full and still full of bad habits to the point I refuse to train without a proper coach. Good for me I have found 2 proper boxing coaches comming from the same school - 1 is the coach of the other 1.

That's fine for the level you're at I'm sure, but I'm at the point in my training where I'm trying to put everything together dynamically. My coach specifically told me he wants me to practice combining my head movement with my footwork, instead of moving either my head OR my feet.

Wilson Pitts who is the teacher of Sinister's friend Lyte Burley (52 blocks) mentions that alot of fighters move in 4/4 time. You seem to be doing that here. I think it is just something interesting to think about as music does relate to fighting.

Last edited:
Don't worry I do train at a gym. Guys at my gym are just weird about filming when it's not one of the coaches doing it.

My goal for the round was constant movement--always having either my head or my feet moving, preferably both, and without losing balance. I should also mention I'm training for mma, not for boxing.
Cool - yeah its not bad, just a little rushed. Relax more and enjoy what you are doing.

Back