Footwork and head movement shadowboxing

Thanks for the thoughtful feedback man. I appreciate it. I just posted a follow up video to try and make the corrections.

About the feet: mine aren't technically flat but I definitely think I could still benefit from the foot strengthening exercises you described. Thanks for that. I have been doing a little slacklining recently and I feel like it's really helped my balance and ability to feel the ground with my feet, and that's opened my eyes a bit about how important training the feet is.
Oh okay, they honestly do look like it, at least to some degree. There is what we physios would call a "navicular drop". Anyway! Besides all the quality technical and philosophical advice already I think I can add a little to the S&C part of it.

I would do:

Part one
- More roadwork if possible and if it doesn't aggravate some joint issue. Alternate run/walk to keep your technique good. Runnig tired and shitty all over the place doesn't really help in this instance.
- More rope skipping.

Part two
- Foot and ankle stability drills. Squats are alright, but they don't really address the feet.
- Make a short foot position (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoEIW4Y8MEo) and do these

AND/OR

(keep the weight light, form is a lot more important. Keep good knee, hip and ankle alignment)

Part three
- A skips

(not the greatest video mechanics wise, but it's to the point. I have much better ones if you want)

- Ankle bounding

- Various footwork drills from your stance in various tempos and with changes of direction. Working laterally with a band is another option.

I wouldn't do it all at once in big volume. That will just lead to overload and injuries. Introduce the skips as warmups, introduce the ankle and foot stability/strength exercises into your strenght training and obviously devote more time to the footwork drills. Gradually increase volume.

Last edited:
A bit late to the party but I'll add what I think - I'll try to avoid anything anyone else has already said except for the tense thing as I'm wondering what it is:

- Traditionally speaking you're front foot should be the first to move when going forward and your back foot should be the first to move when going backwards. There were quite a few times in the first video where when you moved backwards your front foot moved first or when you moved forward your back foot moved first. Technically speaking there is nothing wrong with it imho - it's only an issue when you don't realise you're doing it. If you were intentionally shuffle stepping then ignore what I've said - if you weren't aware just make sure that you are aware.

Shuffle stepping has it's place imo - I use it a lot but there are times when it shouldn't be used. It's a great tool I feel for getting into positions quickly - not so great if you want to counter someone I feel - I mean try countering someone when shuffle stepping moving backwards. If you know you're doing it - all good - you can avoid those situations - but it's harder to avoid if you have no idea you're doing it.

- As others have said you looked a bit tense/stiff. Not entirely sure why. What's your weight distribution like - do you tend to be heavy on the back foot a lot? Also like others mentioned you seem to be going more for speed than timing things.

- There were a few instances as well where you weren't clenching your fist properly on strikes (more so with the lead hand) - I think it was mainly the one's you just threw out there without real intention. The one's you threw with intention like you rear hand were perfectly fine.

Alright guys here's a round taking your feedback into consideration. Instead of going as fast as possible I'm trying to be a little more rhythmic:

I like this shadowboxing video much better than the first two. You seemed much more relaxed.

Also just had to say this but in the first video you posted (below) - it looks like you saw a ghost lol

BTW @ssullivan80, I don't know if you're still around here but I'd love your input if you are.

Also, @The MM Analyst, I know you don't comment too much but I was hoping you'd take a look too.

And fuck it, I'll throw out a hail mary to @SAAMAG

Yeah brotha, I'm still around periodically. This is a great thread and I'll definitely find time to come back and give my input.

Hey guys, I posted this video in my fundamentals of footwork thread but I don't think a lot of people saw it so I'm gonna make a new thread for critiques. It's just a round of me shadowboxing with a focus on footwork and head movement.

I've been trying to work a lot on these things so I'd appreciate any feedback or tips you have to offer, thanks!

Edit: Here's me doing another round, this one more relaxed with less of a focus on going as fast as I can.

Initially, my first impression is that you've got good balance and I like how controlled your movement is. Technically you look good. What's missing for me is that you don't seem comfortable. It's almost as if you're overthinking the technique vs just allowing it to evolve more naturally. If that makes sense. Specifically, you're separating your offensive and defensive movements vs blending them (bi-product of overthinking). I like that you incorporate defensive movements and footwork before and after your combo's. But instead try to think of the defensive movements and footwork (head movement, pivots, feints) as part of the combo. So instead of setting and throwing 1-2-3, throw 1, pivot, 2, roll, 4, 1-1...... or lead into your combos off your pivots (which are well executed) and try to add periodic steps (lateral, back, forward) to break up your combos. i.e: 1, lateral step, 2, pivot, 3, 1-1...... (hint, double jabs at the end of your combo's are a great habit to build into your shadowboxing). I'm not saying to do this with all your combo's, as you do anchor your feet well and put them together fluidly. But periodically blending in movement during your combos will create broken cadence and that's far more difficult for an opponent to defend vs linear striking in the same cadence (which is the bad habit that shadowboxing can develop if you're not careful). Once you get the movement incorporated into your shadowboxing start playing with the pace of your punches and try to blend in changes of rhythm on your combinations. I.E: 1....1-2...3-4 vs. 1-1-2-3-4

Hope that made some sense, but you're looking sharp.

Oh okay, they honestly do look like it, at least to some degree. There is what we physios would call a "navicular drop". Anyway! Besides all the quality technical and philosophical advice already I think I can add a little to the S&C part of it.

I would do:

Part one
- More roadwork if possible and if it doesn't aggravate some joint issue. Alternate run/walk to keep your technique good. Runnig tired and shitty all over the place doesn't really help in this instance.
- More rope skipping.

Part two
- Foot and ankle stability drills. Squats are alright, but they don't really address the feet.
- Make a short foot position (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoEIW4Y8MEo) and do these

AND/OR

(keep the weight light, form is a lot more important. Keep good knee, hip and ankle alignment)

Part three
- A skips

(not the greatest video mechanics wise, but it's to the point. I have much better ones if you want)

- Ankle bounding

- Various footwork drills from your stance in various tempos and with changes of direction. Working laterally with a band is another option.

I wouldn't do it all at once in big volume. That will just lead to overload and injuries. Introduce the skips as warmups, introduce the ankle and foot stability/strength exercises into your strenght training and obviously devote more time to the footwork drills. Gradually increase volume.

Wow, this is great. Thanks a lot man. I'm gonna incorporate this stuff into my routine.

Quick question, how do pistol squats fit in with these exercises?

Initially, my first impression is that you've got good balance and I like how controlled your movement is. Technically you look good. What's missing for me is that you don't seem comfortable. It's almost as if you're overthinking the technique vs just allowing it to evolve more naturally. If that makes sense. Specifically, you're separating your offensive and defensive movements vs blending them (bi-product of overthinking). I like that you incorporate defensive movements and footwork before and after your combo's. But instead try to think of the defensive movements and footwork (head movement, pivots, feints) as part of the combo. So instead of setting and throwing 1-2-3, throw 1, pivot, 2, roll, 4, 1-1...... or lead into your combos off your pivots (which are well executed) and try to add periodic steps (lateral, back, forward) to break up your combos. i.e: 1, lateral step, 2, pivot, 3, 1-1...... (hint, double jabs at the end of your combo's are a great habit to build into your shadowboxing). I'm not saying to do this with all your combo's, as you do anchor your feet well and put them together fluidly. But periodically blending in movement during your combos will create broken cadence and that's far more difficult for an opponent to defend vs linear striking in the same cadence (which is the bad habit that shadowboxing can develop if you're not careful). Once you get the movement incorporated into your shadowboxing start playing with the pace of your punches and try to blend in changes of rhythm on your combinations. I.E: 1....1-2...3-4 vs. 1-1-2-3-4

Thinking about footwork and slips/parries/rolls as part of your combinations, not something that happens inbetween them, I like the sound of that. It changes the mentality a little bit.

A bit late to the party but I'll add what I think - I'll try to avoid anything anyone else has already said except for the tense thing as I'm wondering what it is:

- Traditionally speaking you're front foot should be the first to move when going forward and your back foot should be the first to move when going backwards. There were quite a few times in the first video where when you moved backwards your front foot moved first or when you moved forward your back foot moved first. Technically speaking there is nothing wrong with it imho - it's only an issue when you don't realise you're doing it. If you were intentionally shuffle stepping then ignore what I've said - if you weren't aware just make sure that you are aware.

Shuffle stepping has it's place imo - I use it a lot but there are times when it shouldn't be used. It's a great tool I feel for getting into positions quickly - not so great if you want to counter someone I feel - I mean try countering someone when shuffle stepping moving backwards. If you know you're doing it - all good - you can avoid those situations - but it's harder to avoid if you have no idea you're doing it.

- As others have said you looked a bit tense/stiff. Not entirely sure why. What's your weight distribution like - do you tend to be heavy on the back foot a lot? Also like others mentioned you seem to be going more for speed than timing things.

- There were a few instances as well where you weren't clenching your fist properly on strikes (more so with the lead hand) - I think it was mainly the one's you just threw out there without real intention. The one's you threw with intention like you rear hand were perfectly fine.

I like this shadowboxing video much better than the first two. You seemed much more relaxed.

Also just had to say this but in the first video you posted (below) - it looks like you saw a ghost lol

I appreciate the comment man.

Yea I'm aware of the shuffle steps/hop steps/pendulum steps, whatever people call them haha. I'm a big fan of them. I like to mix them in with my normal steps and pivots and I feel like they really enhance my mobiliy without sacrificing my balance or groundedness.

Definitely back foot heavy. I shift weight forward for specific reasons, but my preferred starting position is with weight back. And yea I was definitely going for full speed in the first video, though less so in the second video.

Good point. That's something I've always had a problem with shadowboxing, especially when I'm trying to be more relaxed. Gotta work on tightening up just before impact.

Haha not a ghost, only my shadow ;)

Awesome, glad to see you're still lurking!

That's some really great insight about thinking of defensive movements and footwork as part of the combo. That's something I'd benefit a lot from focusing more on. Double jabs at the end of combos are something my coach loves too, most of his pad combos end with that. That'll definitely work very well with changing up the rhythm on the combos, which is the other big revelation I've had during this thread.

Going forward I'm gonna spend a lot less time worrying about my technique, speed and power and a lot more time playing around with rhythm and timing. I think that's gonna take my game to another level. Thank you for your time and knowledge.

Wow, this is great. Thanks a lot man. I'm gonna incorporate this stuff into my routine.

Quick question, how do pistol squats fit in with these exercises?
No worries man, it's only a few things, but I think it's more important to do few things well. Hopefully after a month or two you'll start noticing improvements and carryover as I did. I've been slowly compiling S&C exercises for boxing/wrestling/MMA for the past year now and hopefully in a few years it'll be overarching! I've begun dipping into track and field as well, and it's fucking awesome.

In regards to the pistols, the beginner shrimp is a precursor to pistols. If you can do a strict pistol squat with a controlled eccentric and perfect form, then they fit in nicely. Few people can do that though. I'd stick to the exercise that you control the best first as that's the point. So beginner shrimps -> box pistols -> pistols. No need to rush it though. That's also why on the unilateral/single leg deadlifts you'll want to keep the weight low and ROM small to begin with. The sole purpose is control and stability (of hips, knees and ankles). Obviously you can add box jumps (soft landing), squat jumps (keep it at about 30-40% of your 1RM max and quarter squat), power cleans (learn the technique) and various other exercises for lower body power. Ofcourse regular squat variations build the foundation and ability to absorb eccentric forces, which will help you ward off injuries and increase your strength if you do it right.

There's also many one legged jump/bound variations, but that's further down the line. Roadwork, A skips, ankle bounds, skipping + footwork drills should be enough for now! More is not always better.

Keep up the good work!

No worries man, it's only a few things, but I think it's more important to do few things well. Hopefully after a month or two you'll start noticing improvements and carryover as I did. I've been slowly compiling S&C exercises for boxing/wrestling/MMA for the past year now and hopefully in a few years it'll be overarching! I've begun dipping into track and field as well, and it's fucking awesome.

In regards to the pistols, the beginner shrimp is a precursor to pistols. If you can do a strict pistol squat with a controlled eccentric and perfect form, then they fit in nicely. Few people can do that though. I'd stick to the exercise that you control the best first as that's the point. So beginner shrimps -> box pistols -> pistols. No need to rush it though. That's also why on the unilateral/single leg deadlifts you'll want to keep the weight low and ROM small to begin with. The sole purpose is control and stability (of hips, knees and ankles). Obviously you can add box jumps (soft landing), squat jumps (keep it at about 30-40% of your 1RM max and quarter squat), power cleans (learn the technique) and various other exercises for lower body power. Ofcourse regular squat variations build the foundation and ability to absorb eccentric forces, which will help you ward off injuries and increase your strength if you do it right.

There's also many one legged jump/bound variations, but that's further down the line. Roadwork, A skips, ankle bounds, skipping + footwork drills should be enough for now! More is not always better.

Keep up the good work!

Cool. Thanks again. Would you mind checking my pistol squat form?

Cool. Thanks again. Would you mind checking my pistol squat form?

Frontal view would be better but thats pretty good actually! Beginner shrimps are too easy for you. Practice the shortfoot position (I posted a link in a parentheses) and hold it while doing the first ankle exercises where you switch the kettlebells, the single leg DL and pistols (you can go renegade pistols or even advanced shrimps if you feel like it). Make it more about holding that foot arch and not going into foot pronation. Try this one too:

Again, these are just a part of the equation.

Frontal view would be better but thats pretty good actually! Beginner shrimps are too easy for you. Practice the shortfoot position (I posted a link in a parentheses) and hold it while doing the first ankle exercises where you switch the kettlebells, the single leg DL and pistols (you can go renegade pistols or even advanced shrimps if you feel like it). Make it more about holding that foot arch and not going into foot pronation. Try this one too:

Again, these are just a part of the equation.

Here's a front view:

Ok, so I'm trying to do those exercises but focusing more on keeping the foot arched than on going heavy. Cool. I think improving stability with these exercises is gonna make a big difference.

Here's a front view:

Ok, so I'm trying to do those exercises but focusing more on keeping the foot arched than on going heavy. Cool. I think improving stability with these exercises is gonna make a big difference.

It's the same vid mate.

Yeah try it out. I think the skipping/footwork drills and roadwork might actually do more for you in the long run, but ultimately it's the combination of things. Have fun man, keep training and putting out quality content!

It's the same vid mate.

Yeah try it out. I think the skipping/footwork drills and roadwork might actually do more for you in the long run, but ultimately it's the combination of things. Have fun man, keep training and putting out quality content!

Sorry about that, here's the right link:

Sounds great, I will!

I'll write my response and thoughts before reading anyone elses so it doesnt taint my opinion.

pro: you look crisp and loose. a good emphasis on moving angles and keeping away from predictable patterns when you move your feet or head. good mix of slips and ducks. either you've got a monster reach or you use what you've got well. your posture and position when you're slipping looks good. i like the in and out style movement but im also bias because I like fighting that way personally. it gets me into trouble though because I'll start backing straight up if im not cognizant of my movement.

con: its worth keeping your hands a little higher when youre rolling/ducking under punches. its a little thing but if you misread the punch and they throw low as you duck you'll get clipped upside your head. the pivots are good, but you should consider stepping to the right with your right foot before executing the pivot so that you are changing lanes. it doesnt have to be a dramatic step that carries you outside your range, but just enough that if someone is charging you you're stepping out and around them.

all and all your movement looks good. you look as aware and purposeful of your movements as I'd expect from someone with the eye for detail and breakdowns you possess. your lead hand tends to float and dip a little low at times and your punches could be straightened out a little, but the mechanics behind them look sound. even when shadow boxing try to bring that lead hook back to guard without it dipping down. I tell people to simply fold the elbow back down against the ribs after throwing the hook to make sure their hand follows a safe track back to guard.

I'd also really like to hear from the regulars on here. @Sinister, @Sano, @Azam @AndyMaBobs, @devante, @j123, @DoctorTaco, where you at?

OH SHIT HE'S JACKED.

To me you don't seem stiff - you just have a very strict adherence to your stance, which obviously isn't a bad thing. I personally thought it looked pretty good, the only stiffness i'd say is I think you're shoulders can get a little high sometimes, and that can make it more difficult to absorb a punch (think of Eddie Alvarez and how he gets rocked every time he fights) but it looked decent from my perspective!

I'll write my response and thoughts before reading anyone elses so it doesnt taint my opinion.

pro: you look crisp and loose. a good emphasis on moving angles and keeping away from predictable patterns when you move your feet or head. good mix of slips and ducks. either you've got a monster reach or you use what you've got well. your posture and position when you're slipping looks good. i like the in and out style movement but im also bias because I like fighting that way personally. it gets me into trouble though because I'll start backing straight up if im not cognizant of my movement.

con: its worth keeping your hands a little higher when youre rolling/ducking under punches. its a little thing but if you misread the punch and they throw low as you duck you'll get clipped upside your head. the pivots are good, but you should consider stepping to the right with your right foot before executing the pivot so that you are changing lanes. it doesnt have to be a dramatic step that carries you outside your range, but just enough that if someone is charging you you're stepping out and around them.

all and all your movement looks good. you look as aware and purposeful of your movements as I'd expect from someone with the eye for detail and breakdowns you possess. your lead hand tends to float and dip a little low at times and your punches could be straightened out a little, but the mechanics behind them look sound. even when shadow boxing try to bring that lead hook back to guard without it dipping down. I tell people to simply fold the elbow back down against the ribs after throwing the hook to make sure their hand follows a safe track back to guard.

Thanks for the advice man.

I really like the cue to fold the elbow back down after throwing the hook. I've never heard it expressed that way before but I feel like it has my hand snapping back much quicker, both for defensive purposes and for a followup punch with the same hand.

OH SHIT HE'S JACKED.

To me you don't seem stiff - you just have a very strict adherence to your stance, which obviously isn't a bad thing. I personally thought it looked pretty good, the only stiffness i'd say is I think you're shoulders can get a little high sometimes, and that can make it more difficult to absorb a punch (think of Eddie Alvarez and how he gets rocked every time he fights) but it looked decent from my perspective!

It's funny, I've gotten some comments saying I'm stiff as a board and others saying the exact opposite.

Good call about my shoulders, my shoulders and neck are pretty stiff in general. Used to be a lot worse though, it's getting better.

It's funny, I've gotten some comments saying I'm stiff as a board and others saying the exact opposite.

Good call about my shoulders, my shoulders and neck are pretty stiff in general. Used to be a lot worse though, it's getting better.

I think some other posters might confuse the speed with stiffness, I'm personally with Sinister on this one. But yeah if you just try and think to relax your shoulders as you go, or get friend to check every so often - it should clear up!

Back