Footwork discussion

dudeguyman

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So I've been studying the first 3 videos for a while now. Fight tips just put out that last video the other day. What do you guys think these guys got right or wrong? Do you have anything to add about what any of these videos cover? Maybe you use a technique in a unique way. I'm hoping this thread can be a good deep look into footwork as we put our minds together.

I dont know. Too huge steps putting the body in weird positions I would not call this good footwork.

If you are looking for better lively footwork perhaps Fury is a better example than all these lightweights putting their bodies in weird places when they move.

So I've been studying the first 3 videos for a while now. Fight tips just put out that last video the other day. What do you guys think these guys got right or wrong? Do you have anything to add about what any of these videos cover? Maybe you use a technique in a unique way. I'm hoping this thread can be a good deep look into footwork as we put our minds together.

I bet you I can get better footwork then you in a month.

Last edited:
These videos don't explain footwork at all. These will confuse more that do any good, the switch stance combo from dillashaw was sloppy as well.

Learning footwork from videos is arguably the worst way to learn it next to just making it up. Keep in mind that there's a trainer at my gym who absolutely let's people make up their footwork and tells them to watch Lomanchenko. Lol

Can I join if I just want pointers? I never trained though so like no competition really :)

I love Willie Pep. Bruce Lee took a liking to him, as well as Ali and was influenced by the way boxers moved. If I'm not mistaken Lee was originally a linear fighter, and his introduction to lateral angles came from a friend of his who was an amateur boxer that he sparred with. Lee was an advocate for boxing.

Another thing Pep did well was head movement. If his feet weren't moving his head was moving. If not those then his hands. Fighting is largely about rhythm. He was comfortable in his movements which came from tons of practice. There are different types of footwork. Pep's established his ability to move quickly, and freely.

Planting your feet to pivot and bang is also footwork. Many fighters forget the pivot to generate power. Footwork is one of my favorite aspects of the fight game. You can tell if a guy knows his stuff if he's watching your feet as you train (most coaches do this). I look at a guy's footwork first when sizing him up.

Learning footwork from videos is arguably the worst way to learn it next to just making it up. Keep in mind that there's a trainer at my gym who absolutely let's people make up their footwork and tells them to watch Lomanchenko. Lol

There aren't any decent videos explaining footwork to start with.

There aren't any decent videos explaining footwork to start with.

This guy has this video and a couple of more. This is bar far one of the most detailed and text book boxing footwork you will find on the internet

The thing is with footwork you really want to spend time with a coach correcting you. Because you can develop some weird habits exposing your body to shots with a bad footwork. Kind of looking like most MMA fighters :D

What's the best steps to take to learn footwork essentially alone? For now at least... Just stuff I can reliably improve on alone.

One more about side steps and slip + pivot and side step + pivot.

I like the slip + pivot a lot. Currently working on it. I think it allows for a lot of flanking if you are trying to be aggressive.

Back