Footwork discussion

One more about side steps and slip + pivot and side step + pivot.

I like the slip + pivot a lot. Currently working on it. I think it allows for a lot of flanking if you are trying to be aggressive.

I think you have a far better understanding of footwork. Please post as much as you can In this thread.

I think you have a far better understanding of footwork. Please post as much as you can In this thread.
Trust me I do not.
I am kind of trying to feel it. Removing my bad habits and implementing new ones. And fighting is something that does not go well for me.

I am just a thinking guy with a good analytic mind. And I can spot a good stuff vs bullshit.

The hard part is to make everything work for you. Build the good habits and make it a second nature for your body and mind.

I am not sure if I have the right approach but I am currently spending a round or less on drilling slowly lateral footwork then I dedicate few bag.rounds on punching + lateral footwork. I try to note what feels right and what feels wrong.

Unfortunately my coach has.gone lazy the past month. My group too. I am thinking on moving back to my old kick boxing coach. At least his padwork was better and you could spend about 10 rounds on pads. He also has better pull of fighters for spar sessions. So ye... I am kind of stuck on my own.

So do not take me for granted. I am as newbie as most newbies.

Trust me I do not.
I am kind of trying to feel it. Removing my bad habits and implementing new ones. And fighting is something that does not go well for me.

I am just a thinking guy with a good analytic mind. And I can spot a good stuff vs bullshit.

The hard part is to make everything work for you. Build the good habits and make it a second nature for your body and mind.

I am not sure if I have the right approach but I am currently spending a round or less on drilling slowly lateral footwork then I dedicate few bag.rounds on punching + lateral footwork. I try to note what feels right and what feels wrong.

Unfortunately my coach has.gone lazy the past month. My group too. I am thinking on moving back to my old kick boxing coach. At least his padwork was better and you could spend about 10 rounds on pads. He also has better pull of fighters for spar sessions. So ye... I am kind of stuck on my own.

So do not take me for granted. I am as newbie as most newbies.
Your view is a valuable angle I don't have though.
;)

Diagonal steps to punch after the switch... ok.

Last edited:

I unapologetically swing from the nuts of coach Barry Robinson

Diagonal steps to punch after the switch... ok.

That is Cuban and East European boxing. If you want to move forward and punch this is how you are tought.

There are other ways to of course, but depends on the coach.

We drill something similar with slips + blocks combined to gain ground quickly or backwards to escape. The advantage is head and body movement and that your are always ready to counter punch or attack. The negatives are body positioning. You really need flawless technique because as soon as someone decides to go for the body you are fucked :)

I questioned once when we were drilling this as defensive movement. The.drilled attack was a 1-2-1-2 diagonal steps as a counter to escape being cornered, while the defender was stepping backwarda and ready to counter with an uppercut. And I like okay ... what if I do double jab cross body? That body cross will trow him off balance.

Last edited:
What do you do after throwing 1-2 with pendulum stepping, the 1-2 throws my timing off, it seems proper to me to either pull back and continue the pendulum steps or commit to attacking with half steps and then side step or pivot.

Eddie abasolo is the smoothest mother fucker in the game today

Finally some hespect on this mans name
Nickname: Silk-E Smooth
i got to
Spar with him last time I was there. Dude is befuddling. God damn hard to pin down. I’m a movement guy but the way he moved made me slow down and watch/track him

i got to
Spar with him last time I was there. Dude is befuddling. God damn hard to pin down. I’m a movement guy but the way he moved made me slow down and watch/track him

Thats awesome. Anything in particular he did that was tricky? or is it all really just simple things tied together with a different type of thread than most? Seems like a very zen/ react and create things to react to kind of guy.

Dudeguyman will get a lot out of just watching this. NASTY inside kicks.
https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3D4eXD_PmBrsw&ved=2ahUKEwiYgLCgxr7dAhUGoYMKHXMdBJsQuAIwAHoECAUQAg&usg=AOvVaw2Z7rZWAGQASiQmAangJ0i6

One of my favorite examples of footsies i've enjoyed watching in recent memory was actually Canelo vs Chavez Jr.

Even though JCJ had a reach advantage, Canelo was able to toy with him at will in neutral. Just always on point at the exact distance he needed to be at any given point.

Last edited:
Thats awesome. Anything in particular he did that was tricky? or is it all really just simple things tied together with a different type of thread than most? Seems like a very zen/ react and create things to react to kind of guy.

Dudeguyman will get a lot out of just watching this. NASTY inside kicks.
https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3D4eXD_PmBrsw&ved=2ahUKEwiYgLCgxr7dAhUGoYMKHXMdBJsQuAIwAHoECAUQAg&usg=AOvVaw2Z7rZWAGQASiQmAangJ0i6

He played a lot of neutral stance, very squared up. From that position either foot can go in any direction to set up a punch from either hand. He fought as well from either stance but it was how he acted inbetween stances that was tough to deal with. Good defense too but I had some luck with my left hook (I’m sp).

Super nice guy. Right out of the gate he smashed me with an uppercut on accident because I got the read wrong and slipped straight into it. He paused and made sure i was ok and wanted to apologize

He played a lot of neutral stance, very squared up. From that position either foot can go in any direction to set up a punch from either hand. He fought as well from either stance but it was how he acted inbetween stances that was tough to deal with. Good defense too but I had some luck with my left hook (I’m sp).

Super nice guy. Right out of the gate he smashed me with an uppercut on accident because I got the read wrong and slipped straight into it. He paused and made sure i was ok and wanted to apologize

Thats actually pretty interesting i see him train a lot from neutral, like on bags to work on balance and flow etc.

I find its usually a SP dominant going ortho or a ortho dominant going SP.

playing from a neutral stance is something im going to start delving into again. Iv been slightly obsessed about having "no stance" since i stared striking...my traditional Kru did not like it one bit<45>

Last edited:
Ok @dudeguyman this is my shadowboxing video focusing on mainly footwork and defensive boxing:

Ok so let's see what everybody thinks i think I did the pendulum step right, but the side step I think I need a little work on, if anybody can tell me what I can improve on the footwork part (the side step and pendulum step) please let me know, I tried to put some head movement and stuff in their.

(Yes @dudeguyman we are having a competition, and we're going to post the videos in here, and get some advice on both our videos. It's a friendly competition though.)

Let's see yours and again everybody can give advice on both our footwork or shadowboxing videos focusing on footwork more.

Ok @dudeguyman this is my shadowboxing video focusing on mainly footwork and defensive boxing:

Ok so let's see what everybody thinks i think I did the pendulum step right, but the side step I think I need a little work on, if anybody can tell me what I can improve on the footwork part (the side step and pendulum step) please let me know, I tried to put some head movement and stuff in their.

(Yes @dudeguyman we are having a competition, and we're going to post the videos in here, and get some advice on both our videos. It's a friendly competition though.)

Let's see yours and again everybody can give advice on both our footwork or shadowboxing videos focusing on footwork more.

Why dont you just create a thread for this so people who only want to learn about footwork can ignore this.

Edit: Or for regular people who just want to ignore it

Back