Footwork in mma.

Non taken. I still kinda feel that way. I bet even to most hardcore Khabib fan was very suprised and happy when that overhand dropped conor.
I've been training striking for 10 years and I can tell you, you are flat out wrong.

Khabib has good power, chin, speed and is much more elusive than he looks. It doesn't look pretty but nobody has outstruck him and that's not just because of the td. He has good instincts on the feet.

Its really underused aspect, largely due to training time I assume, and a little lazyness.

Footwork requires great calf conditioning, the conditioning boxers gain by long jump rope sessions and roadwork between practice sessions gives them ability to not only use footwork, but maintain it during a bout.

Lastly, I believe some of these “striking coaches” arent even teaching good footwork and how to use it in general ringmanship.

Lastly, I believe some of these “striking coaches” arent even teaching good footwork and how to use it in general ringmanship.

I'm convinced that a lot of "striking coaches" don't know what good footwork is, and think that moving your feet all the time while running around the cage is good footwork. It makes my head hurt every time I see a fighter running halfway across the cage to avoid a punch and then having to take another 10 steps before he's in position to do anything again, but for some reason this is seen as "good footwork" and "elusiveness" in MMA.

Good footwork is getting to the position you want to do what you need to do (strike, shoot takedowns, defend, cage position, etc.) with the minimum amount of steps while keeping good balance & stance. A lot of the fighters that commentators & fans say have great footwork like Cruz, Edgar, or Holm aren't that special. They have busy footwork and move a lot but it's far from crisp & efficient, and they've been frequently out-positioned by fighters with great footwork. See both Edgar vs. Aldo fights and Holm vs. Shevchenko, where Frankie & Holly were repeatedly put out of position, turned around, and hit from blind angles while whiffing most of their shots.

Footwork depends on rulesett.

You can compare the footwork from boxing or thai/kick boxing, with mma. Different rules. And different thing to worry about.

Another thing is that MMA is a very young sport compared to mma and boxing. So it will take some time before mma got its own high level standard for its techniques.

Lastly. Think of training time. The human body only got so many training hours. A boxer will train only boxing. While a mma fighter got to split it into boxing, kick boxing, wrestling (both standing and on the ground), submission grappling, striking on the ground..

So the MMA fighter dont have the same amount of time to really finetune his footwork.

And even the high level guy with amazing footwork from other sports (like Israel adesanya or gokan Saki), have to change it when converting to mma.

Sorry for the wall of text.

<6>
Proofread before hitting the "post reply"button next time.

I'm convinced that a lot of "striking coaches" don't know what good footwork is, and think that moving your feet all the time while running around the cage is good footwork. It makes my head hurt every time I see a fighter running halfway across the cage to avoid a punch and then having to take another 10 steps before he's in position to do anything again, but for some reason this is seen as "good footwork" and "elusiveness" in MMA.

Good footwork is getting to the position you want to do what you need to do (strike, shoot takedowns, defend, cage position, etc.) with the minimum amount of steps while keeping good balance & stance. A lot of the fighters that commentators & fans say have great footwork like Cruz, Edgar, or Holm aren't that special. They have busy footwork and move a lot but it's far from crisp & efficient, and they've been frequently out-positioned by fighters with great footwork. See both Edgar vs. Aldo fights and Holm vs. Shevchenko, where Frankie & Holly were repeatedly put out of position, turned around, and hit from blind angles while whiffing most of their shots.

Blame Clay/Ali and Lee. Flicky and flashy footwork catches and occupies attention, yes but without proper range judgment (aka ma-ai) it leaves one susceptible to attacks. Most "coaches" got the form but not the function.

when i look at higher divisions, seems to be lacking by my novice eye!

the issue with higher weight classes are also cardio and the stress that busy footwork with alot of bodyweight put on the knees.

the issue with higher weight classes are also cardio and the stress that busy footwork with alot of bodyweight put on the knees.
Yes i guess. But still probabky why tge smaller guys r winning these fights because of movement. Honestly doesn't take a more of energy. See in rugby boxing and other contact sports big guys being able to move. Just need to work on it.

Yep, you can have the best footwork and it still won't matter. I remember a few Conor lover clowns talking about how Conor's footwork will be too much for Khabib, and that Khabib wouldn't be able to get inside. I knew that those forum guru's had never wrestled once I read that bullshit.

You can't really use that fight as a way to downplay the importance of footwork: it's just that khabib actually showed better footwork and range control than Conor did in that fight.

You can compare the footwork from boxing or thai/kick boxing, with mma. Different rules. And different thing to worry about.

Another thing is that MMA is a very young sport compared to mma and boxing. So it will take some time before mma got its own high level standard for its techniques.

Lastly. Think of training time. The human body only got so many training hours. A boxer will train only boxing. While a mma fighter got to split it into boxing, kick boxing, wrestling (both standing and on the ground), submission grappling, striking on the ground..

So the MMA fighter dont have the same amount of time to really finetune his footwork.

And even the high level guy with amazing footwork from other sports (like Israel adesanya or gokan Saki), have to change it when converting to mma.

<6>

11 likes and counting for this abomination? I’m sure it has nothing to do with being a pro fighter.

I’m genuinely curious on this one though. What’s the difference between MMA and mma?

Also MMA and or mma isn’t exactly a very young sport anymore. The concept of fighting with different styles has been around for centuries and even the UFC has been in existence for 25 years now. How long does the sport need for this “high level striking technique”? Anderson basically set the bar for high level striking and he debuted a long ass time ago and nobody has caught up to him and nobody ever may.

Will probably be flamed for this, but I think Cruz has, to a degree, overrated footwork. His herky jerk style is probably a major contributor as to why his knees are shot. Take for instance this "Lol didn't read" gif (Inb4 someone throws it back at me).

54bS9uk_zpsjw63dvhj.gif

That shit is garbage. It's just a bunch of irregular leg movement, non specific to fighting. Sure, he's made it effective in many instances, but it's also ineffective in many regards (such as in setting up power punches, as well as lacking in proper fluidity - which can lead to injury).

The guy is good, don't get me wrong. But his footwork isn't God tier like some fans tend to tout it as being. It has drawbacks.

Dudeb
Will probably be flamed for this, but I think Cruz has, to a degree, overrated footwork. His herky jerk style is probably a major contributor as to why his knees are shot. Take for instance this "Lol didn't read" gif (Inb4 someone throws it back at me).

54bS9uk_zpsjw63dvhj.gif

That shit is garbage. It's just a bunch of irregular leg movement, non specific to fighting. Sure, he's made it effective in many instances, but it's also ineffective in many regards (such as in setting up power punches, as well as lacking in proper fluidity).

The guy is good, don't get me wrong. But his footwork isn't God tier like some fans tend to tout it as being. It has drawbacks.
he's in the top 5 Cruz. No doubts don't denounce his credentials.

Dudeb
he's in the top 5 Cruz. No doubts don't denounce his credentials.

I don't expect many to agree with me, and I understand that, as he's managed to use it to get to the top of his field. Nevertheless, I think it should be pointed out that it's a style that somewhat hinders a fighter, and can be a gamble with regards to wear and tear.

Non taken. I still kinda feel that way. I bet even to most hardcore Khabib fan was very suprised and happy when that overhand dropped conor.

Marcus Brimage?

Khabib's boxing is also a lot better than Siver's.

MMA footwork is purely circling away, trying not to get against the fence. Very few have deliberate movements that create angles. Even Cruz's movements seemed kinda purposeless to me, it was just so different people didn't know how to handle it.
This. Fans get way too caught up in "footwork" because it looks fancy. In reality, it's Guys like Holloway, Mouse, Aldo who have the best actual mma footwork. TJ is up there too, his movement is much different than Cruz.

Rumble and Glover both have good footwork for bigger guys. Nothing flashy but can cut a cage and catch people mid step. Masvidal comes to mind too.

I'm a Khabib fan and I disagreed with you on that. Not because Khabib's striking offense is great or anything but his defense is super underrated, I think he's only been hit hard a handful of times in 27 fights. His striking style is very ugly though and he blocks and avoids punches in unorthodox ways(he protects his chin with his shoulders and blocks punches with his arms often, seems to be a Sambo thing) that wouldn't work nearly as well in boxing and/or kickboxing.

<6>
Nice insight dude. No need for the apology

Back