For Guitar Players: What Do You Play?

ArtemV

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Right now I have a standard Fender Stratocaster (amazing guitar) and I don't regret spending my money on it - at all!

My next investment will probably be on something like an ESP Horizon or maybe an Ibanez. I want something that can sound a little heavier (but still keep the nice sound of my strat).

What do you play?

Due to money being really tight this past year, I'm down to one guitar at the moment - a kawasabi green Jackson SLXT. I switched-out the stock EMG HZ bridge p-up with a DiMarzio X2N. Actually looking to buy another guitar as this one is a string-through and I need a Floyd in the house.

photo.php

Right now I have a standard Fender Stratocaster (amazing guitar) and I don't regret spending my money on it - at all!

My next investment will probably be on something like an ESP Horizon or maybe an Ibanez. I want something that can sound a little heavier (but still keep the nice sound of my strat).

What do you play?
I've got an Olympic White American standard strat that I bought in 2012 that I recently upgraded with Lace Sensor Chrome Domes. I've got an old Yamaha 335 knockoff that was my main guitar for almost 20 years.

For amps, I have a Peavey Valve King that I don't really use much anymore and a Fender Deluxe that is my "living room" amp.

I've got a few pedals that I've built from kits, a few Ross pedals from the 70s too.

I've recently returned to playing bass and having been playing a Reverend Mercalli 5 string. That thing is a monster.

Thats about it I guess.

Due to money being really tight this past year, I'm down to one guitar at the moment - a kawasabi green Jackson SLXT. I switched-out the stock EMG HZ bridge p-up with a DiMarzio X2N. Actually looking to buy another guitar as this one is a string-through and I need a Floyd in the house.

photo.php
I feel you. I love the feel of a floyd rose/floating bridge compared to the standard whammy bar on my strat (which is nice too, but not as nice). That was on my previous ESP-LTD KH 202, I am still quite sad that I sold her. I don't know much about pick-ups, but the stock ESP and current Strat pick-ups sound quite nice. But I think DiMarzio/EMG are much better.

I've got an Olympic White American standard strat that I bought in 2012 that I recently upgraded with Lace Sensor Chrome Domes. I've got an old Yamaha 335 knockoff that was my main guitar for almost 20 years.

For amps, I have a Peavey Valve King that I don't really use much anymore and a Fender Deluxe that is my "living room" amp.

I've got a few pedals that I've built from kits, a few Ross pedals from the 70s too.

I've recently returned to playing bass and having been playing a Reverend Mercalli 5 string. That thing is a monster.

Thats about it I guess.
You cannot go wrong with a yamaha guitar, they still sound good after years of playing.

I haven't had a lot of experience playing different amps though; I have a black star (15 watt, or something like that). It has a lot of knobs and has some nice built in effects.

You cannot go wrong with a yamaha guitar, they still sound good after years of playing.

I haven't had a lot of experience playing different amps though; I have a black star (15 watt, or something like that). It has a lot of knobs and has some nice built in effects.
My Yamaha is from the SA series of the early 80s.

This isn't mine but its an identical model. 0 difference in the one that is 5 feet away from me right now.

yamaha-sa800-362399.jpg

It was great for along time. I used it for a lot of blues and hard rock stuff. I really have a hard time with it since I got my strat though. Going from humbuckers to single coils was a revelation for me and when I play this guitar now, it sounds muffled to me. Sounds great with a gained out amp but the cleans are just too fat.

I got two. My electric is an Ibanez RG "something" strung with pink Ernie Balls. I love it, great tone, 24 frets, only thing I feel is missing would be a floyd-rose tremolo, . I wish the pickups didn't have so much noise. I also have a big-ass Fender dreadnought sized acoustic. No real complaints except it's perhaps a bit too large. I keep it strung with nylon strings, preferring no pick. Both have served me well in weddings, churches, and garages.

I'm not a big equipment guy so I'd describe what I own as adequate.

I own two Ibanez RG at the moment one Korean made I got in 1999 its already unplayable its so overused. The one I am currently using is a Made in Japan RG1570E Prestige.

179650_1813116013546_6442331_n.jpg
frro.jpg

HSH Fender American Deluxe Strat, silverburst. LSR rolling nut (phenomenal tech), rolled fretboard edges, locking tuners.
It's worth every penny. It's like a Maserati.
I play through a Fender Deluxe amp, which is funny because most of what I play now is speed metal.

Probably the best quality i own. has a double-locking trem system which never went out of tune. Ibanez RG350DXZ
AAA24.jpg

I usually order knock off Les Pauls and PRS's from a great cheap chinese direct factory site called DHgate.com and then replace the pickups. My knockoff standard white les paul with standard pickups for $300 is strangely the best natural sounding guitar i own.

Thats about it I guess.

Nice rig, especially the amps.
Jealous of your ability to build pedals man. I really should have paid attention in soldering/electronics class in school. I've got a couple of Tone City pedals a newer brand that has been getting good reviews online.

I own two Ibanez RG at the moment one Korean made I got in 1999 its already unplayable its so overused. The one I am currently using is a Made in Japan RG1570E Prestige.

View attachment 302411
View attachment 302413

My Ibanez RG is still one of my most solid guitars. Really good models imo. Sturdy and solid tone.
Threw a Seymour Duncan Invader pickup in the bridge and it instantly became a beast. The bassy low end is insane. Great for chugging breakdowns.

HSH Fender American Deluxe Strat, silverburst. LSR rolling nut (phenomenal tech), rolled fretboard edges, locking tuners.
It's worth every penny. It's like a Maserati.
I play through a Fender Deluxe amp, which is funny because most of what I play now is speed metal.

Damn. Nice rig. Fenders are really coming back in style. A lot of younger metal bands are switching to Fenders and keeping great tone.
My favourite right now is Wage War. They've got 81/85 emgs in there but the tone is great.
Riff at 2:00 is <Moves>

Do you play old speed metal or some newer thrash? Maiden fan i'm guessing?

Last edited:
Lifelong Maiden fan, particularly Adrian.
But a lifelong Robert Fripp fan too.

My playing has run the gamut. Most of what I play is older speed metal, I came of age during the heyday of fast guitars, my first metal show might have been Metallica on the strip.
While I was absorbed with playing jazz sax.

Those guys do indeed have good tone. You can get good tone from all kinds of guitars... at one time I was a total snob about it but not anymore.
Though I do love the debate about what makes good tone happen.

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser (B Standard Tuning)

sgr-1788-main-lg.jpg

Schecter Omen Extreme 6 (D Standard Tuning)

schecter_73.jpg

giphy.gif

Jealous of your ability to build pedals man. I really should have paid attention in soldering/electronics class in school. I've got a couple of Tone City pedals a newer brand that has been getting good reviews online.
Build your own Clone has some pretty simple entry level build projects and a really good support forum, should you want to give it a try. Soldering is pretty easy to get a handle on.

20293108_10155124655257639_9219643339956403956_n.jpg

Epiphone Goth '58 Explorer connected to my Boss GT-10 effects pedal which in turn is connected to the Dunlop Original Cry Baby Wah Pedal and then from there its connected to an interface that is connected to my custom built PC. I am in the process of working on my first drone metal album. I also own the Access Virus TI v2 Polar Synthesizer. I use Cubase for recording.

I currently am looking to buy a new guitar. One that would be be best suited for the more stoner doom oriented style

20293108_10155124655257639_9219643339956403956_n.jpg

Epiphone Goth '58 Explorer connected to my Boss GT-10 effects pedal which in turn is connected to the Dunlop Original Cry Baby Wah Pedal and then from there its connected to an interface that is connected to my custom built PC. I am in the process of working on my first drone metal album. I also own the Access Virus TI v2 Polar Synthesizer. I use Cubase for recording.

I currently am looking to buy a new guitar. One that would be be best suited for the more stoner doom oriented style

What is the difference in terms of tone between the Classic Cry baby and then Original Cry Baby Wah?

Probably the best quality i own. has a double-locking trem system which never went out of tune. Ibanez RG350DXZ
AAA24.jpg

I usually order knock off Les Pauls and PRS's from a great cheap chinese direct factory site called DHgate.com and then replace the pickups. My knockoff standard white les paul with standard pickups for $300 is strangely the best natural sounding guitar i own.

My Ibanez RG is still one of my most solid guitars. Really good models imo. Sturdy and solid tone.
Threw a Seymour Duncan Invader pickup in the bridge and it instantly became a beast. The bassy low end is insane. Great for chugging breakdowns.

Damn. Nice rig. Fenders are really coming back in style. A lot of younger metal bands are switching to Fenders and keeping great tone.
My favourite right now is Wage War. They've got 81/85 emgs in there but the tone is great.
Riff at 2:00 is <Moves>

Do you play old speed metal or some newer thrash? Maiden fan i'm guessing?

I am an Ibanez fan boy practically learned to play the electric guitar with the RG. They are the only good brand guitar that I have owned. Jackson and Suhr users hate me lol!

I don' really play electric guitar these days. All acoustic.

I've had some really nice guitars over the years, I've just fallen in love with the acoustic guitar. It's much more real, you can take it anywhere.. and you don't need effects and amplification to sound good.

Even my acoustic rig is weird. I'm currently playing on this old takamine 12 string I have which I only use 6 strings on. Gives me alot of space between the strings and it really resonates

have an epiphone les paul and an ibanez rg421 mahogany.

What is the difference in terms of tone between the Classic Cry baby and then Original Cry Baby Wah?
I've only once ever used a classic wah pedal and the big difference was the fact that the Classic was more pronounced than the Original Cry Baby. Also the Classic is true bypass whereas the original is buffered. Once I got my Boss GT-10 the wah pedal fell out of favor and I really didn't use it much. A part of me wonders if I had the classic would I have used it more, Once I heard the classic I had a hard time enjoying the original because it felt weak the output compared to the classic and felt more mechanical than natural as well

I've only once ever used a classic wah pedal and the big difference was the fact that the Classic was more pronounced than the Original Cry Baby. Also the Classic is true bypass whereas the original is buffered. Once I got my Boss GT-10 the wah pedal fell out of favor and I really didn't use it much. A part of me wonders if I had the classic would I have used it more, Once I heard the classic I had a hard time enjoying the original because it felt weak the output compared to the classic and felt more mechanical than natural as well

Ah so classic wah has more mids or highs? Or that the scoop is wider?

Back