For Guitar Players: What Do You Play?

a cool mod to get a heavier sound on a tele is to wire the bridge and neck pups in series. gets you a humbucker esque sound.

There are also companies that make pups designed for that effect without the need to re-wire like that. Thing is, I'm not sure what set up I'd go with on a Tele. I have every humbucker you could think of or have had them at some point (as I'm a Gibson guy) so I'm not sure that's what I'd want to do exactly. Don't get me wrong, I obviously love that sound, but I've kind of been there done that if you know what I mean.

Plus, I don't play heavy all the time like I used to, I'm into a bit of everything these days and may want the Tele for what its strengths are.

Outside of active pick up guitars Vs passive, I actually don't have a shit ton of variety for my guitars. They're pretty much all humbucker in one form or another. That's not to say they don't cover a lot of ground, or that I can't use other methods such as amplification/pedals to get more out of them, but it's nice to be able to plug something in that's much different from the get go without all the tweaking.

There are also companies that make pups designed for that effect without the need to re-wire like that. Thing is, I'm not sure what set up I'd go with on a Tele. I have every humbucker you could think of or have had them at some point (as I'm a Gibson guy) so I'm not sure that's what I'd want to do exactly. Don't get me wrong, I obviously love that sound, but I've kind of been there done that if you know what I mean.

Plus, I don't play heavy all the time like I used to, I'm into a bit of everything these days and may want the Tele for what its strengths are.

Outside of active pick up guitars Vs passive, I actually don't have a shit ton of variety for my guitars. They're pretty much all humbucker in one form or another. That's not to say they don't cover a lot of ground, or that I can't use other methods such as amplification/pedals to get more out of them, but it's nice to be able to plug something in that's much different from the get go without all the tweaking.
hey its up to you ,bro. Its just adding a four way switch, so you still have all the classic tele sounds to go along with it.

Living room beater is a yamaha superstrat with floyd rose but bedroom guitar is a kramer striker 100st with the floyd rose pulled to the body van halen style.......which stabilizes the tremolo and allows palm muting without going sharp.

The kramer is red and has a sammy hagar "no 55" sticker so it looks just like his baretta (didn't like the yellow sticker).

sam1.jpg

I drilled and installed metal post inserts replacing the factory wood screw type posts.

This allowed me to offset drill the holes bigger for the metal inserts and move back the tremolo a little so I could run heavier strings or lower tunings and still have enough reach on the saddles to get good intonation.

Ultra rare PJ marx 412 pickup and a super sweet "concentric twin pot switch with push pull" which allows tone, coil tap, and volume in a single hole.

k177190873.1.jpg

I'm modifying another switch to allow pushing it in to be a kill switch and will likely float the tremolo and use a "trem. stop" but modified with the stop screw containing a spring loaded ball at the end.

This allows the tremolo to be pulled up and still provides a positive stop.

Not a scratch on that plywood body and it looks dead stock.

You can polish a turd.

Last edited:
- Black Gibson Les Paul Studio with a shaved neck
- Arctic White Fender USA Stratocaster
- Taylor Big Baby Acoustic

The Gibson is definitely my favorite. Heavy in weight and heavy in sound. Plays very well.

The Fender is OK for certain styles but doesn't feel as versatile.

The Taylor is an outstanding acoustic for the price. Very easy to play and great sound. Highly recommended if you want a decent acoustic to get started but don't mind spending a little extra.

I have a bunch of oddball shit, i want to revamp my collection

Every good guitar player should have 3 pro level guitars:

Strat
Tele
Les Paul

Living room beater is a yamaha superstrat with floyd rose but bedroom guitar is a kramer striker 100st with the floyd rose pulled to the body van halen style.......which stabilizes the tremolo and allows palm muting without going sharp.

The kramer is red and has a sammy hagar "no 55" sticker so it looks just like his baretta (didn't like the yellow sticker).

sam1.jpg

I drilled and installed metal post inserts replacing the factory wood screw type posts.

This allowed me to offset drill the holes bigger for the metal inserts and move back the tremolo a little so I could run heavier strings or lower tunings and still have enough reach on the saddles to get good intonation.

Ultra rare PJ marx 412 pickup and a super sweet "concentric twin pot switch with push pull" which allows tone, coil tap, and volume in a single hole.

k177190873.1.jpg

I'm modifying another switch to allow pushing it in to be a kill switch and will likely float the tremolo and use a "trem. stop" but modified with the stop screw containing a spring loaded ball at the end.

This allows the tremolo to be pulled up and still provides a positive stop.

Not a scratch on that plywood body and it looks dead stock.

You can polish a turd.

Nice are you sort of a luthier? Never I dared to mod any of my guitars.

I just like what I like and will learn what is necessary to get what I want.........even if it doesn't exist yet.

Probably wasting plenty of time learning stuff I haven't channeled into making money but I do what I want.

I got a bad taste from an experience where I made a working model of "the sustainer" in 1981, shopped it around guys like tom scholz (who said it wasn't marketable) shopped it around a few manufacturers who said it wasn't marketable and gave up on it only to see it rise up a decade later and only get popular in the last 10 years.

I do give them credit for figuring out how to do it with a 9v battery since mine required a bit of wattage that would kill a 9v dead in seconds.

I'm working on modding a fernandes sustainer (why not........it's a good product) and going way beyond what they envisioned in power and also working on talk box technology that is so powerful that it may physically harm the user.

Schecter Damien Solo Elite

Very affordable and stocked with some nice EMG pickups

Back