For you, who won the Hagler vs Leonard fight?

CodeBreaker

What belt?
@Brown
Reaction score
It was a very tough, close, controversial decision. Until now, it is still a debate. But personally, for you, who won the fight between Marvin Hagler and Sugar Ray Leonard?

It was fantastic. We got it on TV in the UK in the evening, maybe 18 hours after the event. I managed to avoid finding out the result (no easy task) so I could watch it as if it was live. I was rooting for Leonard, and strongly believed he deserved the decision. I've not rewatched it in 30 years, so don't know if my opinion would change.

i was pretty young and watched it live, giving it to Leonard. I watched it again a few years ago and gave it to Hagler. Leonard tried to steal a lot of the rounds by going crazy in the last 10 seconds and it obviously worked on the judges

last time i scored it, i scored it a draw, close fights almost always go to the longtime champ. Hagler deserved the decision. I still think he let leonard tinker with his brain in certain ways and he didn't fight like the Hagler I had been watching for years. He was also older, less hungry and rich. Leonard earned the fan's hatred for how he did shit like that. Neither guy was the same. Hagler went from being a scientific boxer puncher to a guy who had to slug it out with a dangerous but inexperienced Mugabi. Leonard saw this and said "here's my chance" what bullshit.

Hagler has always claimed that he isn't bitter about it, maybe it's true, but it's so hard to believe. To this day I hate Leonard, absolutely hate him for that one.

Leonard won it. Hagler wasted too many early rounds fighting as a righty, trying to prove something.

I haven’t seen it in a long time but I’ve always given it to Hagler.

I also think this is one overrated fight, nowhere near as good as Hagler/Hearns or Hagler/Mugabi ... or Canelo/GGG 2 for that matter.

To this day I have only watched it the night of (I refuse to watch it again) because I think Hagler got jobbed just EXACTLY how GGG did (one judge only giving him two rounds). I do remember that I had it scored 7 rounds to 5 for Hagler despite pissing away the first three rounds. I think too many people were influenced by those flurries that Leonard threw which were flashy but (for the most part) hit gloves. but you can also blame Hagler a bit because he had Leonard ready to go on at least two occasions (it seemed to me) but let him off the hook. Either way
untitled.png

Last edited:
I haven’t seen it in a long time but I’ve always given it to Hagler.

I also think this is one overrated fight, nowhere near as good as Hagler/Hearns or Hagler/Mugabi ... or Canelo/GGG 2 for that matter.
definitely overrated, not as bad as duran hagler but nowhere near great.

This is my favorite boxing fight of all time. I have watched it over a hundred times. I gave Sugar Ray the slight edge with one round. Awesome fight. The last round was amazing.

when you've seen both guys when they were miraculous specimens and near perfect, it's a little hard to watch, sugar ray stated as much in his book, that he wasn't the same and that Hagler probably wouldn't admit it but he wasn't either.

I think Leonard edged it.
But Hagler was not the same beast he used to be when they fought. I think SRL learned a lesson from his first fight with Duran and that was to take the heat off his opponents before getting them in the ring.

I think Leonard edged it.
But Hagler was not the same beast he used to be when they fought. I think SRL learned a lesson from his first fight with Duran and that was to take the heat off his opponents before getting them in the ring.
You know, everyone always talks about Hagler being past his best but Leonard was retired and had had one fight in 5 years. People always seem to overlook that.

You know, everyone always talks about Hagler being past his best but Leonard was retired and had had one fight in 5 years. People always seem to overlook that.
Both were just past their primes

Leonard. Hagler didn't get into a rhythm that worked until way too late. And even when he had that rhythm, Sugar was right neck and neck with him.

But as you yourself said hagler had seemed to ave lost his mobility and settled into a more happy to slug it out type guy ie the mugs I fight for example

But as you yourself said hagler had seemed to ave lost his mobility and settled into a more happy to slug it out type guy ie the mugs I fight for example
he lost a lot it seems, but really he wasn't hat active in the previous couple years so that could have been a part of it. he was a lot more than a slugger or puncher or an intimidator tyhat people remember him as, he was a machine, dude won his fights with deep layers of skills, he didn't do that to mugbi who I'jm sure was probably the hardest puncher he ever fought,he warred with him, no way the hagler who took apart Hamsho, Scypion, Sibson would have fought like that willingly.

as for leonard, he didn't move the same, he was slower, he couldn't stand in front of a guy and use that beautiful upper body movement like he used to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back