For you, who won the Hagler vs Leonard fight?

6-5-1 Leonard last time I've watched it.

A draw or 115-113 for either guy is fine.

118-110 to Leonard should have gotten Guerra incarcerated.

he lost a lot it seems, but really he wasn't hat active in the previous couple years so that could have been a part of it. he was a lot more than a slugger or puncher or an intimidator tyhat people remember him as, he was a machine, dude won his fights with deep layers of skills, he didn't do that to mugbi who I'jm sure was probably the hardest puncher he ever fought,he warred with him, no way the hagler who took apart Hamsho, Scypion, Sibson would have fought like that willingly.
Yea he was at one point very slick or cute with his footwork as well. His fight with Bennie Bria or is a great example of that.

6-5-1 Leonard last time I've watched it.

A draw or 115-113 for either guy is fine.

118-110 to Leonard should have gotten Guerra incarcerated.
out of all the historic, close fight that went to the longtime champ, it just makes what hagler always thought seem true, that the powers that be had it in for him. Maybe they did, in one way or another.

out of all the historic, close fight that went to the longtime champ, it just makes what hagler always thought seem true, that the powers that be had it in for him. Maybe they did, in one way or another.

Scorecards à la Guerra or Byrd will look fishy forever. Fortunaltely, neither a draw of a Leonard victory were revolting outcomes.

Hagler is my favorite fighter of all time and I got to tell him that to his face twice.

But scoring is scoring. I've sat down and scored this fight three different times over the years. First time, I had Hagler winning 115-113. Most recent two times I had Ray Leonard 115-113. Tricky fight to score.

As others have already said I thought Marvelous won, and that fight is overrated imo.

Srl is a snake and jackass for always dangling that payday in Haglers face for years then finally giving it to him after Hearns & Mugabi took a lot off him.

But as you yourself said hagler had seemed to ave lost his mobility and settled into a more happy to slug it out type guy ie the mugs I fight for example
Well, my point is that people make it sound like Leonard was still on top himself and it was some unfair advantage. Leonard wasn't in his prime either.

I don't get that mentality. If you win, even by the slightest of margins, then you win.

You know, everyone always talks about Hagler being past his best but Leonard was retired and had had one fight in 5 years. People always seem to overlook that.
Leonard was doing smokers for awhile at that point in preparation for Hagler.
Before Hagler even knew they were going to fight.

haven't watched the fight since it happened, it was controversial then, still is now. but didn't hagler have a long term back injury then ?

I don't get that mentality. If you win, even by the slightest of margins, then you win.
just the way it's always been, and it wasn't like a fight like Joe Louis Jersey Joe, it was the champ winning in many peoples minds. You come to take the title you got to take it. Ali and Holmes got decisions they maybe shouldn't have too. Hagler couldn't get one, not one, I'm sure it fueled his paranoid worldview. Last time I judged it, it was a draw, a draw doesn't change the titleholder over. It really was haglers fault though, he let that fuck get into his head, I really believe that, i also believe hagler let leonard close enough to where he saw him as a friend so maybe he didn't really want to kill him like he usually did. It could be though, that deep down inside, Hagler believed he just wasn't as great as Leonard, neither guy really put it all on the line that night, in fact, Leonard put out more when it came down to it. Five years earlier I think we'd be talking about a much better fight and a kayo win for Hagler, he was hungrier, meanier, more determined, in fact desperate to prove himself. After the Hearns win he had what he wanted and would only ever fight two more times.

Scorecards à la Guerra or Byrd will look fishy forever. Fortunaltely, neither a draw of a Leonard victory were revolting outcomes.
ya, it'll never really make sense to me why Hagler fought like that, i've enumerated my theories above but I don't really know, he really didn't do shit, wasn't the hagler we'd been watching for years. Also, one more thing in the mental aspect, maybe Marvin wanted to prove he was the better boxer, I think Leonard tried to tease him with that idea and both fighters stated they were the opposite of what they were leonard said "i'm the puncher in this fight" and Hagler said "I could bring leonard in here and outbox him right now". I still have the mag they said those things in. maybe marv tried to prove he was a boxer and had lost 3 rounds before he saw it wasn't a good strategy, i really don't know. Final Analysis: Prime Leonard better as a pfp'r but prime Hagler beats prime Leonard due to the very real 10-13 pound weight advantage and his own incredible skills, too big, too skilled, too hungry.

I haven’t seen it in a long time but I’ve always given it to Hagler.

I also think this is one overrated fight, nowhere near as good as Hagler/Hearns or Hagler/Mugabi ... or Canelo/GGG 2 for that matter.
Its pretty dull because you know that the outcome will be.

Its pretty dull because you know that the outcome will be.
But I saw it on closed circuit the first time and wasn’t the only one who was disappointed. There were lots of unfavourable comparisons to other fights involving both fighters. I’ve also watched several fights - Canelo/GGG 2, for example - knowing the outcome without finding them dull. It always amazes me that sports/boxing writers consistently rate this as one of the best fights ever, when there are so many better fights to choose.

This fight was before my time but I've watched/scored it many times, possibly more than any other fight I've ever watched. And I always maintain that you can't get a good grasp on a fight unless you've scored it at least 4 or 5 times. I've scored this one probably twice as many times.

And I still don't know who won, lol. It was about as close as you could get. I've had it a draw, for Leonard, and for Hagler. It literally depends on the day. I never got how ppl thought this was a robbery, tho. It was so close and so hard to score, Hagler was a DOG, SRL was a one hell of a fighter and fought back valiantly and effectively every time it seemed Hagler seemed to be getting to him.

If I had to say I've probably edged it to SRL more times than anything else but at the same time I also just rewatched it in the last few months or so and that particular night I had Hagler winning.

Really a great fight on learning how to score and learning what your preferences are when it comes to judging. The style match up was spectacular, the action was insane, it's an atg fight anyway you slice it and a tough fucking fight to score.

…... It literally depends on the day. I never got how ppl thought this was a robbery, tho. It was so close and so hard to score, ……..
One Judge had Hagler only winning two rounds, no matter which way you slce it, Marvin didn't get a fair shake. That in and of itself make it a robbery.

elanimalsantana said:
One Judge had Hagler only winning two rounds, no matter which way you slce it, Marvin didn't get a fair shake. That in and of itself make it a robbery.
No it doesn't.
I beg to differ, sir. At the very least Hagler was robbed of the chance of a fair Judge.

Back