Forbes To List Canelo as Richest Paid Athlete 2019 - Will Floyd Buckle for a Rematch....

Canelo is the richest? Well, now we know why Floyd wants to box Khabib.

Canelo is the richest? Well, now we know why Floyd wants to box Khabib.

Floyd is an ATG money schemer! I'm a huge Floyd fan, but am also a huge Canelo fan... therefore, let's be real, CAN FLOYD handle this pressure?

Floyd logic: fight the good ones when they are too young or too old.

Floyd is a phenomenal boxer but he definitely never went after the hardest match ups, fought Canelo when he was a baby, Oscar and Manny when they were far past their primes, and then littered his record with sloppy brawlers that he could out point. I would love ton see him fight Nelo again but won't happen.

Floyd logic: fight the good ones when they are too young or too old.

Floyd is a phenomenal boxer but he definitely never went after the hardest match ups, fought Canelo when he was a baby, Oscar and Manny when they were far past their primes, and then littered his record with sloppy brawlers that he could out point. I would love ton see him fight Nelo again but won't happen.

People were saying Floyd wouldn't fight Canelo when that fight was made. The odds on the sports book reflected peoples belief in Canelo - but then all the sudden with 40+ fights he is too young. Yet Salvador Sanchez solidified himself as an all time great at the same age Canelo fought Floyd who was also old at 35.

Fought Shane Mosley after arguably his best performance, sleeping Margarito coming off of his greatest win to date in stopping Miguel Cotto.

Guerrero after beating the brakes off of Andre Berto (tune up fight anyway)

Maidana after a 4 knockout streak at welterweight & beating the brakes off the 8 to 1 favorite and highly hyped Adrien Broner, twice.

Was prepared to fight Manny when everyone wanted the fight to be made except it was MANNY's team holding up the fight being made because of the issue of accepting a blood doping test close to the fight. (??)

Floyd always went after the toughest challenge that made sense money wise, when he was younger he fought the toughest matchups period, anything to get him ranked higher and higher on the ladder. I remember he was begging to fight Prince Naseem when Naseem was on top of his game.

It is a shame the Pacman fight didn't happen in 2009, but its not like Floyd avoided the fight. It was about control & he wasn't about to give up control of how things are done after he earned that right & spot to do so as the A side. Like what Canelo does to everybody he fights now. Do this, or I don't fight.

People were saying Floyd wouldn't fight Canelo when that fight was made. The odds on the sports book reflected peoples belief in Canelo - but then all the sudden with 40+ fights he is too young. Yet Salvador Sanchez solidified himself as an all time great at the same age Canelo fought Floyd who was also old at 35.

Fought Shane Mosley after arguably his best performance, sleeping Margarito coming off of his greatest win to date in stopping Miguel Cotto.

Maidana after a 4 knockout streak at welterweight & beating the brakes off the 8 to 1 favorite and highly hyped Adrien Broner, twice.

Was prepared to fight Manny when everyone wanted the fight to be made except it was MANNY's team holding up the fight being made because of the issue of accepting a blood doping test close to the fight. (??)

Floyd always went after the toughest challenge that made sense money wise, when he was younger he fought the toughest matchups period, anything to get him ranked higher and higher on the ladder. I remember he was begging to fight Prince Naseem when Naseem was on top of his game.

It is a shame the Pacman fight didn't happen in 2009, but its not like Floyd avoided the fight. It was about control & he wasn't about to give up control of how things are done after he earned that right & spot to do so as the A side. Like what Canelo does to everybody he fights now. Do this, or I don't fight.
There is truth to that, but he is cut from a different cloth than someone like RJJ, who just put the pedal to the medal IMO - sadly will probably pay the price later in life with brain damage too. I think he could have went more up and fought guys like GGG and done well, if not beat them - and it would have done gangbusters, as most people turned in when they thought FM could lose. Some people see him as GOAT but it would be undeniable if he fought and beat prime Pac, matured Canelo, GGG, etc. I remember even Ward was talking about fighting him - that is the shit that turns me on, when guys that are wildly dominant go up as far they can go and see how far that is. I just feel like we are always wondering "how far could they go, where did that limit lay''. He was smart tho, as if he went to far out, lost that 0, his brand would be damaged. That undefeated record is very important to his brand IMO, and seeing as he is no where as big as RJJ, he could never went up to the maximum limit and would have had to draw the line somewhere.

Guess you werent around when Canelo was too young, too strong for Floyd and would beat him phase.
No I remember that. I was not one of those that saw it that way. Same was said about Conor, which was absurd too. To me, 21 was just way too young for a fighter the quality of Floyd. But you are right, it sold well because there were people like that. I personally wanted GGG after Berto, or instead of him, but it never panned. I think Floyd is so defensively good that he could hang with a GGG, possibly even hang with a younger Ward at catchweight.

I still think Floyd should’ve fought Caneo at 154. Those 2lbs make a difference. Upper Echelon elites calibrate every bit of performance to the dime and when it’s time to fight they’re mad dogs.

Canelo gets too much flack. If I recall CJ Ross judged Lara vs Williams? That fight in itself supersedes any drama for a 114-114 call. Truth is Canelo had about 4 horrible rounds while the rest were all swing rounds. Floyd landed body shots as usual and Floyd dipped out. There are for too many boxing bouts where the aggressor misses on power punch attempts when the opponent is on the retreat, so those swing rounds you can’t blame CJ Ross... it anything laugh at the PAC vs Bradley bout...

The whole Floyd “schooled” thing is no different how Canelo toyed with GGG in the first fight. Cotto too had his moments against Floyd. Canelo, Floyd, Cotto, all different styles. Canelo haters act like Floyd peppered Canelo the way Martinez fought Chavez Jr. Chavez Jr. didn’t do jack until the championship rounds, which Canelo has a completely different perspective of the sweet science while performing...

Canelo is just one of those prodigy’s he learned from his boxing brothers. Look at Canelo at 16 years of age, his defensive moves back then were unreal. His intestinal fortitude was already proven when he was a teen. Probably got beat up by his brothers early on, learned the craft to take hard shots. All reasonable why he is a great performer today

I still think Floyd should’ve fought Caneo at 154. Those 2lbs make a difference. Upper Echelon elites calibrate every bit of performance to the dime and when it’s time to fight they’re mad dogs.

Canelo gets too much flack. If I recall CJ Ross judged Lara vs Williams? That fight in itself supersedes any drama for a 114-114 call. Truth is Canelo had about 4 horrible rounds while the rest were all swing rounds. Floyd landed body shots as usual and Floyd dipped out. There are for too many boxing bouts where the aggressor misses on power punch attempts when the opponent is on the retreat, so those swing rounds you can’t blame CJ Ross... it anything laugh at the PAC vs Bradley bout...

The whole Floyd “schooled” thing is no different how Canelo toyed with GGG in the first fight. Cotto too had his moments against Floyd. Canelo, Floyd, Cotto, all different styles. Canelo haters act like Floyd peppered Canelo the way Martinez fought Chavez Jr. Chavez Jr. didn’t do jack until the championship rounds, which Canelo has a completely different perspective of the sweet science while performing...

Canelo is just one of those prodigy’s he learned from his boxing brothers. Look at Canelo at 16 years of age, his defensive moves back then were unreal. His intestinal fortitude was already proven when he was a teen. Probably got beat up by his brothers early on, learned the craft to take hard shots. All reasonable why he is a great performer today

Lara vs williams is one of the worst robberies I've seen, however doesn't change the fact that 114-114 is absolutely absurd when Floyd landed 232/505 46% and Canelo landed 117/526 26%. The problem was always going to be Canelo's legs, he would never beat a near his prime Mayweather at any point in his career because his feet would never be able to keep up with Floyd's. I'd give Floyd a solid chance to beat him again today - thats a 50/50 fight to me because of the styles regardless Floyd being damn near 42 & canelo's maturity.

Cotto had some great moments against Floyd, I'm thinking that is what people were hoping canelo could replicate to a better degree. However Cotto has that boxer's bounce and can circle, something Canelo has never been particularly good at.

Honestly to me Canelo gets too little flack, I feel like people completely forget & don't even mention Lara/Canelo anymore when that fight was extremely close & a lot of people didn't think Canelo won. Austin Trout gave him a very close fight, same with Cotto.

He rarely has dominant performances besides the come forward brawlers like Kirkland, angulo, Chavez jr.

Though he did beat the brakes off Shane Mosley who is a boxer.

Back