Forcing the clinch in mma

Superhet

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
By now the guys in my gym who all like to box know I'm a clinch fighter. They don't want to eat knees and so, when I try to clinch them, they simply struggle like a wild animal, like the looney tunes tasmanian devil. They don't try to clinch back at all - they simply put their arms in between us, refuse to grip fight, keep themselves tight and push me off while backing out. This leaves me scrambling, trying to get some kind of grip on them; something to keep them in place and force them to clinch. I always try to get one or two underhooks and "side control". The sparring area is a large room, so I can't just keep going after them until they hit the other end of a tiny thaiboxing square. This kind of resistance is something you don't see clinch training take into account. It's like someone coming from grappling - what do you do if you want to pull guard, but the other person just wants to stand up? What do you do if you want to clinch, but the other person just wants to deny the clinch and has the ring space to keep doing so?

So far my ideas are to: 1) let them exit and load up a liver punch, 2) take them down instead of trying to clinch. The thing is I want to reliably win by throwing knees. The only other idea I've pondered is to use single legs more, not to take them down but to try to set up knees and clinch them after a hit. I should mention that we don't throw knees to the legs in my gym (and not to the head either), so I haven't really considered trying to unbalance them that way but without having a grip I doubt it would be very effective.

So what *should* I do when they simply refuse to grip fight and clinch, but that's what I want to force them to do, and the sparring area is spaciously open? What adjustments do I make?

Last edited:
By now the guys in my gym know I'm a clinch fighter. They don't want to eat knees and so, when I try to clinch them, they simply struggle like a wild animal, like the looney tunes tasmanian devil. They don't try to clinch back at all - they simply put their arms in between us, refuse to grip fight, keep themselves tight and push me off while backing out. This leaves me scrambling, trying to get some kind of grip on them; something to keep them in place and force them to clinch. I always try to get one or two underhooks and "side control". The sparring area is a large room, so I can't just keep going after them until they hit the other end of a tiny thaiboxing square.

So far my ideas are to: 1) let them exit and load up a liver punch, 2) take them down instead of trying to clinch. The thing is I want to reliably win by throwing knees. The only other idea I've pondered is to use single legs more, not to take them down but to try to set up knees and clinch them after a hit. I should mention that we don't throw knees to the legs in my gym (and not to the head either), so I haven't really considered trying to unbalance them that way but without having a grip I doubt it would be very effective.

So what *should* I do when they simply refuse to grip fight and clinch, but that's what I want to force them to do, and the sparring area is spaciously open? What adjustments do I make?
They should let you bang!

Overwhelm them in strikes to get them to shell up, then go in and tie up

Use a long knee to close distance and you're there

As they're pushing you away, get bicep control and work the position. Barrage them with knees, off balance them with turns etc. Typical clinch stuff

If they really don't wanna bang, as they pushing you away, push them off to the side . and whip out body kick. Thrn reclinch

Repummel with them as you're getting pushed away. Both you and the partner know he doesn't wanna play so its better for you.

Best case is since they don't wanna snuggle, you can continue pressing forward and cutting them off. The space is open, but work on cutting and you're in range to do the fun stuff

By now the guys in my gym who all like to box know I'm a clinch fighter. They don't want to eat knees and so, when I try to clinch them, they simply struggle like a wild animal, like the looney tunes tasmanian devil. They don't try to clinch back at all - they simply put their arms in between us, refuse to grip fight, keep themselves tight and push me off while backing out. This leaves me scrambling, trying to get some kind of grip on them; something to keep them in place and force them to clinch. I always try to get one or two underhooks and "side control". The sparring area is a large room, so I can't just keep going after them until they hit the other end of a tiny thaiboxing square. This kind of resistance is something you don't see clinch training take into account. It's like someone coming from grappling - what do you do if you want to pull guard, but the other person just wants to stand up? What do you do if you want to clinch, but the other person just wants to deny the clinch and has the ring space to keep doing so?

Kick them, when they close the gap, throw a long knee and clinch them.........when they escape, push them off and kick them again for good measure, dictate the range............

You should use the fact that they are so terrified of your clinch game. While they are busy worrying about you grabbing them, say fuck it, let them back up and if you time it right you can drop a hard short punch, or maybe a knee before they can get very far away anyway. The space they are fighting to create only gives you more power for your strike, but the timing is important. @j123 is right about that long knee. He gave me the same advice and now it's one of my main entries to the clinch. They never get hit by it, but they are also never far enough away to escape my grasp immediately after. Another thing I like to do is throw 2 or 3 stiff jabs just out of their range. If they respect it they will probably be at least mildly distracted by it. On the second to last one, bring your rear foot up to your front foot kind of like Bruce Lee does for his side kick, only don't let them see you do it because you are easy to tip over for a brief moment. Then on the last stiff jab go forward with your lead foot and put your bodyweight into that last jab. Voila you stunned them and are close enough to obtain an underhook. If all else fails I just revert to swinging hard overhands and uppercuts and eat some shots trying to turn them into overhooks and underhooks. Good luck fellow infighter/clinch fighter.

Leg kick him.
If they are handfighting and trying to escape they can’t check kicks, give them some running jumping full power Ernesto Hoost leg kicks

If they really don't wanna bang, as they pushing you away, push them off to the side . and whip out body kick. Thrn reclinch
Could you elaborate? How do I push them to the side?

Could you elaborate? How do I push them to the side?
So you have the double collar or at least going for it, they use both arms to make space by pushing on your chin. You of course try to re-pummel to get some semblance of bicep/arm control, overhook, and the other hand pushing their head/neck down. Move off the line, push him off. When you're off the line you're basically at a 45 deg. T-bone position thing

WHY DONT PEOPLE PUNCH THE ADAMS APPLE ? IS THAT ILLEGAL?

So you have the double collar or at least going for it, they use both arms to make space by pushing on your chin. You of course try to re-pummel to get some semblance of bicep/arm control, overhook, and the other hand pushing their head/neck down. Move off the line, push him off. When you're off the line you're basically at a 45 deg. T-bone position thing
And then bang.
<Goldie11>

WHY DONT PEOPLE PUNCH THE ADAMS APPLE ? IS THAT ILLEGAL?
dGNln3x.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mixed_martial_arts_rules#Fouls_2

And then bang.
<Goldie11>
#bangnation

When they are using there arms to push you away, is perfect time to throw a roundhouse to their torso. Or even go over their arms with an axe kick to face.

Takedowns or break and throw strikes. If you truly want to work mma clinch you need a wall space or cage at a different time

Do the ashy bar eye.

cobra kai uber alles
Leg kick him.
If they are handfighting and trying to escape they can’t check kicks, give them some running jumping full power Ernesto Hoost leg kicks

This. There are basically three situations where leg kicks/sweeps are most useful; when he is trying to kick you at the same time, when he is raising his knee in anticipation to block a kick, and... it's not when your opponent is trying to rush into you, but when they are trying to run away.

Last edited:
god grabbing the glove is the lamest rule in mma it wouldnt be a big deal but the fatc when you geta takedown now guys dont play guard they try toget up so wrist riding becomes impossible to keep guys down when they turtle to stand back up

if you can get the meat of the hand u can hold a guy in a wrist ride all day getting the wrist good guys can get away thats why khabib had issues holding al there but fact i cant grab the guys fatty part of his hand to hold is bullshit today :(

Do the ashy bar eye.

cobra kai uber alles

This. There are basically three situations where leg kicks/sweeps are most useful; when he is trying to kick you at the same time, when he is raising his knee in anticipation to block a kick, and... it's not when your opponent is trying to rush into you, but when they are trying to run away.

man id love to get good at these

Back