"Forgetting" your child in a hot car?

Articles about people who thought the way many in this thread do, It can't happen to me.

Hot Car Deaths: Scientists Detail Why Parents Forget Their Children
You'd Never Forget Your Child In The Car, Right? - Parents Magazine
I would never forget my child in a hot car… - - Half Heard in the Stillness
Fatal Distraction: Forgetting a Child in the Backseat of a Car Is a ...

I don't personally know anyone who had left a child but I do know someone who forgot that his dog was in his car and the dog died.
I love how people make blanket statements. This could NEVER happen to me. Guess what? Most everyone this happens to says the exact same shit.

Like people say, "How could someone confess to a crime they didn't commit?" Well, unless you have ever been put in that situation, with trained and experienced police officers waging mental warfare/torture on you, you can't say shit.

I watched a program about the car phenomenon. There is a psychological reason people do this and most of the time it has absolutely nothing to do with "being a bad parent" or "not caring enough." When you have a routine that you do often, your brain goes into autopilot mode. We ALL do it.

Unfortunately, if it has to do with kids and cars, it can result in tragedy. That's why we need something besides "I'll remember because my kids are so precious to me" to remind us the kids are there. The few instances where the parents were just dicks or actually killed the kids are rare, but they get the headlines in our messed up society that needs ratings.

Most of these parents are absolutely devastated. And most thought it could never happen to them, but it did. We're only human, after all.

I liked these posts, but I hate this topic. It makes me want to weep when I think about a kid dying like that. I can't imagine the hell it creates for the parents.

People are fallible, and people who don't think they are fallible are more likely to be fallible.

There are some parents who lecture on this subject. They start the program by saying "I could never forget my child in my car" then go on to explain that they did.

Is it bad that I feel worse when people leave a dog in the car than when they leave a child? I mean, chances are with that parenting the kid was going to grow up to be a complete asshole anyway. Dogs are the innocent forever and don’t do things like cut me off on the freeway, or tank the economy by selling sub prime mortgage bonds as AAA rates bonds.
Yes

Hardcore dog guy or gal are more annoying than hardcore vegan.

I’m not a hardcore dog guy. I just feel worse for them than some kids who were probably going to be future assholes. Nobody cares what you think is annoying anyway.

The older I get the more I learn to never underestimate the potential of people to be idiots.

But yea I'm sure a large percentage of cases is just the parent trying to kill the kid

I think it's "safer" way to get away with killing your child.

By that, I mean you don't always get in trouble for "forgetting" your child, whereas if you kill a kid with a more traditional method you're definitely going to jail.

I couldn’t even forget my child’s formula in the car.

Meh. I don’t care. Kids are fucking stupid. Dogs are awesome.

Crazy_Dog_Lady.png

Some people are not made to be parents, period.

If you leave your child in a boiling car you are a piece of shit.

Pieces of shit should not have a baby.

I know some really good people who had piece of shit parents.

Help the next generation stay alive until at least 18 so they can transcend that environment.

Shit I was reading this thread and I got an update from my local newspaper lapresse lf a baby found dead in a vehicle in montreal

There was one in Burlington not too long ago as week.

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/autopsy-...lington-died-of-heat-related-causes-1.3943184

It's sad but the parent who does this should be nailed to a tree.

The kid died suffering and alone, wanting his parents, probably wondering why they weren't coming.

"Oops" should never hold up in court for something like this.

I have a window breaking tool in my car for children and dogs.

My buddy is NYPD in Brooklyn. There is a Mall with a play area. Its not day care, just some structures the kids play on. He said it would take two hands to count the number of times the Mall was closing and there was a kid or 2 left in the play area by an ghetto parent, and he would get called. We are taking small kids. He said the scary thing was that it wasnt drugs...it was just forgetful bad parents, that would shop and then go home, leaving the kids.There was no supervision, but they used it like a day care. It happened so frequently they ended up removing the play area.

I know some really good people who had piece of shit parents.

Help the next generation stay alive until at least 18 so they can transcend that environment.

Of course I agree. I am just trying to express my contempt for these parent-filth. There simply is no excuse.

I know for a fact that being a good parent requires a certain state of mind and maturity. You don't improvise a child.

If society wasn't all about trying to increase natality for GDP growth I think that we could change mentalities and avoid poor children growing up with shitty parents.

I think its the change in routine that causes this. It is usually not a case of ''going to the store just 2 minutes''.
But rather your brain, not function properly because of the change in routine. You have that with all sorts of other things as well. Just with less severe consequences.
But this can happen to everyone.

I'm not a fan of judging parents over this. An acquaintance of mine committed suicide after he lost his baby girl in a similar fashion a few years ago.

When you combine a stressful day, a lot of things on your mind related to daily problems and that specific occasion you have the baby with you not being part of your daily routine, it isn't as far fetched as one would believe.

Back