Former NFL player Jonathan Martin facing charges bully/gun situation

Ceez

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22844855/former-nfl-offensive-lineman-jonathan-martin-facing-charges-following-instagram-post-last-month

Martin, 28, was detained for questioning on Feb. 23 after a threatening image was posted on Instagram that said: "When you're a bully victim & a coward, your options are suicide, or revenge."

The image showed a shotgun and ammunition and tagged four accounts, including those belonging to former Miami Dolphins teammates Richie Incognito and Mike Pouncey. It also used hashtags for Harvard-Westlake -- where Martin went to high school in Los Angeles -- and the Dolphins.

Martin hasn't played in the NFL since 2015. Weeks after retiring, Martin posted a long message on Facebook explaining that he suffered from depression and had tried to kill himself on several occasions.

This is where the system is failing us. This guy has a history of mental illness and still had firearms. I'm super pro gun but this is the kind of reform I'm all for. I don't know exactly how you would go about implementing this into background checks but I believe it's a necessary measure in todays society. Banning certain rifles and high capacity clips fuck all that, but keeping guns out of the hands of the mentally unstable should be figured out and figured out fast. Its guys just like this that are behind all these tragedies. Sad thing is he was driven off that cliff by others

But did he purchase the firearms before his mental issues were documented?

But did he purchase the firearms before his mental issues were documented?

That's a great question. Even if he did, if he was flagged for mental problems after a weapons purchase, this could still be worked into new legislation for gun reform. I mean why not connect databases to mental health facilities to document mental history and if he was flagged after he purchased these weapons then police could go and disarm him. It's by no means a perfect solution but it's a start.

Oh shit. This dudes brain is fucked. I feel bad for him. I hope they can get him some help. I'm glad they got to him before anything bad happened.

This was the same guy who went through that weird bullying case a few years ago.

That's a great question. Even if he did, if he was flagged for mental problems after a weapons purchase, this could still be worked into new legislation for gun reform. I mean why not connect databases to mental health facilities to document mental history and if he was flagged after he purchased these weapons then police could go and disarm him. It's by no means a perfect solution but it's a start.

confiscation is risky business. and not without consequences.

it wouldn't be something i'd advocate

confiscation is risky business. and not without consequences.

it wouldn't be something i'd advocate

Idk then. I mean if you send them a summons requiring that they turn in their firearms whos to say they don't get upset and go on a rampage? Are we really gonna take that chance? There are no easy solutions here, any ideas yourself?

I've posted my thoughts on how to prevent a mentally ill person access to the easiest tool to kill someone(s). So long as due process is kept, I've advocated for a system where a judge can issue a warrant like a search warrant for police to physically take the guns from said person and then a jury review within 2? weeks if the hold can be maintained for safety even if no charges are filed and then every 6? months the court must prove he is still a threat to continue the weapons hold, I would strongly support at least exploring a system like that and bipartisanship can work out the details preserving rights and due process

Just allowing the cops to say "You're a threat. We're taking your guns. Go ahead and have fun fighting the courts to get them back" I am extremely against

This was the same guy who went through that weird bullying case a few years ago.
Richie Incognito needs to have a dress put on him and tied to a pole in the red light district of Bangkok.

Idk then. I mean if you send them a summons requiring that they turn in their firearms whos to say they don't get upset and go on a rampage? Are we really gonna take that chance? There are no easy solutions here, any ideas yourself?

None.

It's not an easy subject

Those shotgun shells are birdshot shells. He needs 00 buckshot. Fucking amateur.

I've posted my thoughts on how to prevent a mentally ill person access to the easiest tool to kill someone(s). So long as due process is kept, I've advocated for a system where a judge can issue a warrant like a search warrant for police to physically take the guns from said person and then a jury review within 2? weeks if the hold can be maintained for safety even if no charges are filed and then every 6? months the court must prove he is still a threat to continue the weapons hold, I would strongly support at least exploring a system like that and bipartisanship can work out the details preserving rights and due process

Just allowing the cops to say "You're a threat. We're taking your guns. Go ahead and have fun fighting the courts to get them back" I am extremely against

Interesting idea. My only worry would be people of sound mind being drug through the court system with a lot of $ also involved. It could be a hustle by the court system. And don't get me started with "family" court. A spouse could just allege the other was instable and BOOM the cops come and take the guns along with anything else they deem dangerous.

Those shotgun shells are birdshot shells. He needs 00 buckshot. Fucking amateur.
^ Hey, he could be attacked by someone carrying an automatic clay pigeon launcher at any time.

09-roll-safe.w710.h473.jpg

Back