Former U.S. Education Secretary: 'We're top 10 in nothing'

No of course it doesn't matter who's administration it was under, but this dude makes it sound like it's all the Trumps admin fault. Honestly IMO our education woes aren't as much an issue with the education system as with poverty and shitty parenting. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. Too many students don't want to be there and their parents don't care.

Poverty is indeed a problem, so is the school funding which relies way too heavily on local property taxes, which exacerbates the poverty problem (poor areas get less funding). Both require changes in policy to fix and it’s fair to say there is nothing the current admin is doing or even proposing to address it.

The former admin did little to fix it the issue as well but I would bet that they had at least some decent proposals, but they had other battles and then a do nothing Congress.

There is truth to the race component, but not because of race, but culture and family emphasis on education/ history w/ education system. I just watched the video I posted above; pretty enlightening.

Great vid.

It’s the parents, it’s the community, it’s the culture.

I’m additiion for the underprivileged it’s the funding issue and the whole systemic abondonement (no standards, which funding itself won’t solve).

Thanks for sharing !!!

Nothing gets one noticed on a resume quite like stating the hundreds of hours one has spent online and in libraries studying the specific subjects that pertain to the position being applied for.

Companies will see you as a motivated self-starter who bypassed institutions of higher learning and move you to the front of the line.
Are you still standing by the argument that money is such a critical thing to education or shall we pretend you aren’t running away from the point like a coward?

I find this amusing given your previously internally inconsistent statements on education.
The God argument: Pointing the finger in judgement while feeling there is no need for explanation or evidence. If you were a god that would be persuasive. Since you’re not, you just sound like an arrogant fool.

Fair enough. We'll have to wait and see.
I should've said, Batty Betsy DeVos the Creationist will not positively affect education in our country.

She doesn't understand the Scientific Method or the cornerstone of modern biology. That's a leeeeeeeeetle bit of a bad sign.
It isn't outrageous to speculate that she very much wants to filter the disposition of her responsibility to American students through the lens of her own religious preconceptions.
No, it’s not outrageous to speculate. The problem is when people speculate and then put a period on it and call it a day.

We have too many people and are too diverse in the US to be Top 10 in metrics that use averages, but our top students are still some of the best in the world. We probably have more high school drop out than other countries that top the lists have students. That said I think it's funny the guy who ran this shit for Obama NOW says we suck at education. We didn't just drop off a cliff in the last 3 year buddy.
That explanation falls apart soon as any western european country that you guys claim are 'multi cultural hellholes' show up on the list though.
That aside, people have been talking about how fucked up the American education system is since IVE been alive. so dont try to jump the shark and cry about Obama on this one. Every single fucking year this information is released and every year we hear about how American students continue to lag behind. Meanwhile education continues to get its funding slashed and now the move is to taking what little money is left and give it private institutions as 'vouchers' so that little Earnhardt can go to Mt Tabernacle Jesus School of Reading Good and Football!

Our population is too huge to compete with countries the size of a state or one of our cities. We have the best Universities in the World and our top students always rank high.

The 11 most educated Countries in the world according to many sources including Buisness Insider:

1.Singapore
2. Finland
3.Netherlands
4.Swiss
5.Belgium
6. Denmark
7. Norway
8. US
9. Australia
10. New Zealand
And Singapore uses cram schools heavily. That is outside of government control and is paid for by the parents .

How about this: in order for a billionaire to qualify for Trump’s tax cuts, he has to make some type of investment or initiative that results in a group of 1,000 struggling students increasing their scores significantly. We’d see some interesting shit...

How about this: in order for a billionaire to qualify for Trump’s tax cuts, he has to make some type of investment or initiative that results in a group of 1,000 struggling students increasing their scores significantly. We’d see some interesting shit...

How about if they create more jobs?

That explanation falls apart soon as any western european country that you guys claim are 'multi cultural hellholes' show up on the list though.
That aside, people have been talking about how fucked up the American education system is since IVE been alive. so dont try to jump the shark and cry about Obama on this one. Every single fucking year this information is released and every year we hear about how American students continue to lag behind. Meanwhile education continues to get its funding slashed and now the move is to taking what little money is left and give it private institutions as 'vouchers' so that little Earnhardt can go to Mt Tabernacle Jesus School of Reading Good and Football!
Nobody said anything about Obama chill out

no-ragrets-the-odyssey-1.jpg

Former U.S. Education Secretary Arne Duncan has strong opinions about how to fix the U.S. school system, and he’s skeptical that the current administration will deliver on key initiatives.

Duncan, who served in the Obama administration from 2009 to 2015 and just published a new book, says the country needs to improve access to early childhood education and increase wages for teachers to make the U.S. more competitive on the global stage.

“I think obviously the best investment we can make is in high-quality early childhood education,” Duncan told Yahoo Finance’s Seana Smith on Midday Movers. “The brutal truth is that whether you look at early childhood education access to that, whether you look at math and science scores K-12, whether you look at college completion rates, we’re top 10 in nothing. And that’s not good enough.”

Duncan’s comments reflect how apart from college rankings, the U.S. lags behind most of the developed world — and even parts of the developing world — when it comes to education.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/fmr-education-secretary-were-top-184626455.html

giphy.gif

While I agree that wages for teachers in many parts of the country should improve, it's not like the US education system grew by leaps and bounds under her and Obama.

Education is about safe/controlled environments, burning curiosity, and resources of knowledge. Money has little to do with it. When will these idiots figure it out?

I think money had more to do with education than you're saying . . . while yes, I agree that folks are often driven by curiosity but many like to get paid.

Thanks for the link, reading now.

I was skeptical because most states rely on local property taxes which tends to lead to poor districts being underfunded but it looks like Indiana had moved to more General Assembly funding (kind of surprising tbh).

And their ranking compared to other states isn't bad.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/rankings/education/prek-12

Overall your statement is correct but the average disparity (15%) can vary vastly by state.

There's nothing to argue with. Our early education set up is borderline non-existent. We refuse to properly fund our schools. We refuse to properly pay our teachers. We refuse to update our approach to curriculum. We don't fund gifted programs for our brightest kids.

There's a ton of things we can do to improve our school and how we educate our children. But this conversation never goes anywhere because the moment some people start talking about updating failing schools in the inner cities, some other people will throw up a roadblock to updating any schools because they don't think inner city communities should get a benefit.

And this is what is allowing our school system to lose more and more effectiveness despite the thousands of easy fixes that are out there.

I have no proof of this but I think it's what drives some of the support for charter schools. It's a way to address obvious school failings without helping the entire communities reliant on those schools. Fund a charter that helps a few hundred kids while ignoring the neighborhood schools that affect thousands of kids.

It’s just a knee jerk ideological reaction so that conservatives can refer to some free market anti union ideology while claiming to support social policy. It is why my theoretical support for charters and vouchers has diminished vastly over the years. Make the easy fixes you spoke about before throwing hand grenades into the system just becuase it fits an ideology better.

Education system is used for indoctrination.
Nothing more nothing less.

Anyone that shows eccentric qualities is usually swnt to the counselor and doped up and deemed a problem.

All these kids we call hyperactive or A.D.D. had their souls, ambition and imagination destroyed by a drug in the name of societal standards.

2018 and we still havent learned that all brains arent the same.

That is why we fail.

Regarding the part about "not wanting inner city schools to reap the benefit", that same attitude also applies to cuts and liabilities, LOL. Full disclosure: my wife and I are both teachers in Milwaukee right outside of the city in a diverse and relatively high-performing area that draws from suburban McMansions as well as housing projects, so it's been an interesting ride. I know exactly what you are saying here.

I had to laugh at some of the reactions a few years back when our governor, Scott Walker, made some massive cuts to general state aid for schools to balance a huge deficit he created through tax cuts. For a year or two, the increased contributions to benefits from public employees (aka "pay cut") were enough to offset the cuts, but by about year 3, even the well-off suburban school districts had to start cutting programs, raising fees, and laying people off to make ends meet in the austerity era. You should have seen the reactions from people in affluent suburbs, who just assumed (from a position of entitlement, privilege, and to a lesser extent, racism) that the 1.6 billion dollar cut was only going to affect the schools in the city where black and brown people live. The pearl clutching, confusion, and dismay was a sight to behold. They honestly thought they were in a safe little bubble where austerity measures would only affect "others".

Anyway, one of my issues with Duncan is he took a lot of undue credit for improving Chicago schools, when the reality was that he happened to be in charge when some of the biggest gentrification was taking place when entire poverty-stricken neighborhoods and giant housing projects were bulldozed, thus creating a diaspora of "low test scores" out of the city.

I did not know that aspect of Duncan's history. I only started paying attention to him in the 2nd half of the 2nd Obama term. Not coincidentally, right around the time my wife got pregnant and public education became something I needed to think deeply about.

Your story about the school system in which you teach is exactly what I'm talking about and it's nice to hear a corroborating event.

The God argument: Pointing the finger in judgement while feeling there is no need for explanation or evidence. If you were a god that would be persuasive. Since you’re not, you just sound like an arrogant fool.

You mean the 2 posts I spent explaining why your statement showed a lack of thought don't count as explanation?

At least you're reinforcing the point that our schools are failing us through personal example.

No of course it doesn't matter who's administration it was under, but this dude makes it sound like it's all the Trumps admin fault. Honestly IMO our education woes aren't as much an issue with the education system as with poverty and shitty parenting. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. Too many students don't want to be there and their parents don't care.
How was he blaming Trump when he talked about how when he was Education Secretary he was visiting states and trying to get them to give pre-K access to all 4 year olds and states were resisting that?

I'm very curious of your answer.

How was he blaming Trump when he talked about how when he was Education Secretary he was visiting states and trying to get them to give pre-K access to all 4 year olds and states were resisting that?

I'm very curious of your answer.

I'm curious as well, LOL. I hate to add more fuel to the fire in terms of 2-party bickering, but Early Childhood Education (AKA pre-K), despite being massively popular policy, is 100% a Republican vs. Democrat issue.
http://blogs.edweek.org/edweek/camp...tform_rejects_pre_K_government_intrusion.html

Back