ForniteBR settles the FPS controller vs mouse/keyboard debate

KaNesDeath

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score

PS4 enabled mouse/keyboard support. When you plug in a mouse/keyboard to your PS4. Fortnite locks you into mouse/keyboard only matchmaking. With the controller only plugged in Fortnite will lock you to controller only matchmaking. Heres the kicker; if using a controller and you try to plug in your mouse/keyboard after joining a match. The game engine will lock out using the mouse/keyboard. **If you use a controller and any friend joins with a mouse/keyboard. MM automatically enables mouse/keyboard only matchmaking.

Rest of the video showcases the laughable input delay with console gaming....lol

Settles?

There never was a debate as to which one is more competitive. However, some people just have a preference of one over the other.

I much prefer a controller over m&k.
For me it's more enjoyable for various reasons.

It ruins the game when you mix up controller with k&b, they're not on the same competitive plane.

I am surprised that someone hasn't designed a mod to allow touch screens on major fps so you just tap on someone's head and never miss another shot again.

Settles?

There never was a debate as to which one is more competitive.

With the rise of console gaming in the mid-2000's it raised illogical points propping up consoles. Such as no need to see over 60fps and that controllers were at no disadvantage compared to mouse/keyboard.

Now that Playstation has opened up full mouse/keyboard support. In the coming years makers will start producing high refresh rate TV's.

With the rise of console gaming in the mid-2000's it raised illogical points propping up consoles. Such as no need to see over 60fps and that controllers were at no disadvantage compared to mouse/keyboard.

Now that Playstation has opened up full mouse/keyboard support. In the coming years makers will start producing high refresh rate TV's.

I've seen anyone make that argument.

Just the fact a controller can't rotate a player's view anywhere close the speed of a mouse kills any debate. Forget the accuracy issues.

The only hope a controller would have is having giving console players auto-aim GTA style.... and even that wouldn't be enough.

Mouse (preferably one with a number of complementary buttons like the Logitech G700s) and analog stick is the truly ideal way to go, or mouse and d-pad. Motion controls and/or IR+ analog stick also works amazingly well with games that code motion controls/IR properly (see a number of Wii, WiiU, and Switch tp and fp shooters).

The heaven one time event was pretty sweet the other day.

I use a controller, and suck ass. I won a solo game with a green hunting rifle like the second week I played. Then, a couple months later, I won another solo match. Now, 4 months after that, I still have 2 solo wins and play the sad group games.

I've seen people claim a controller is as effective (on a now-dead forum). It's always been pretty obvious that there's a reason controller requires aim assist though, whereas mouse/kb players want that shit turned off because on a mouse it's actually detrimental.

PS4 enabled mouse/keyboard support. When you plug in a mouse/keyboard to your PS4. Fortnite locks you into mouse/keyboard only matchmaking. With the controller only plugged in Fortnite will lock you to controller only matchmaking. Heres the kicker; if using a controller and you try to plug in your mouse/keyboard after joining a match. The game engine will lock out using the mouse/keyboard. **If you use a controller and any friend joins with a mouse/keyboard. MM automatically enables mouse/keyboard only matchmaking.

Rest of the video showcases the laughable input delay with console gaming....lol

This settles absolutely nothing.

All this video demonstrates is that Riot accepts conventional wisdom in the absence of any data presented to us. If they made this decision based on compiled K:D/win ratios between inputs across thousands of games we aren't presented with it, here. That would "settle" the debate. The only hard data presented to us in this video is a comparison of input lag, and there was no discrepancy between KB+M and Controller. The biggest takeaway there is the massive advantage that a properly calibrated PC has over the consoles. 144Hz Freesync/G-Sync monitors are for the master race who want the best input lag with the highest framerate, but no screen tearing. But that isn't head-to-head hosting hardware.

Previously, we have seen pros tested on both platforms, and I recall one on Halo 4 (or maybe it was Halo 5) where the controller pros actually did better at distance than the crossover PC pros. I believe most were imported from other shooters like CS:GO. The controller pros won the sniper and long-distance battle rifle battles. However, the PC pros enjoyed an even greater advantage, IIRC, in closer quarters where the finer control due to higher DPI mapping favored them. In other words, while even controller pros don't tend to play at the highest sensitivity with their controller, because that isn't ideal for all environments, even if they did, the mouse offers an advantage because the larger physical space on the desktop surface (versus the physical space the joystick can be manipulated in its seat) allows for finer motor control in those situations where speed of rotation often determines the battle, and the speed is so fast that it challenges human motor control to its limits. That's the theory, anyway, and this was some of the only actual hard data I've ever seen properly testing the hypothesis.

Fortnite should undoubtedly be a game that favors KB+M in theory because the majority of encounters at a high level result in hectic, close-quarter building chess matches where the players are constantly whipping around in all directions while following their opponent. Battles are decided by manipulated attempts to get above, below, behind, etc. That's the theory, anyway. When it comes to games where longer kills are more common it isn't clear.

What a silly, disproportionate declaration in response to the data.

This settles absolutely nothing.

All this video demonstrates is that Riot accepts conventional wisdom in the absence of any data presented to us. If they made this decision based on compiled K:D/win ratios between inputs across thousands of games we aren't presented with it, here. That would "settle" the debate. The only hard data presented to us in this video is a comparison of input lag, and there was no discrepancy between KB+M and Controller. The biggest takeaway there is the massive advantage that a properly calibrated PC has over the consoles. 144Hz Freesync/G-Sync monitors are for the master race who want the best input lag with the highest framerate, but no screen tearing. But that isn't head-to-head hosting hardware.

Previously, we have seen pros tested on both platforms, and I recall one on Halo 4 (or maybe it was Halo 5) where the controller pros actually did better at distance than the crossover PC pros. I believe most were imported from other shooters like CS:GO. The controller pros won the sniper and long-distance battle rifle battles. However, the PC pros enjoyed an even greater advantage, IIRC, in closer quarters where the finer control due to higher DPI mapping favored them. In other words, while even controller pros don't tend to play at the highest sensitivity with their controller, because that isn't ideal for all environments, even if they did, the mouse offers an advantage because the larger physical space on the desktop surface (versus the physical space the joystick can be manipulated in its seat) allows for finer motor control in those situations where speed of rotation often determines the battle, and the speed is so fast that it challenges human motor control to its limits. That's the theory, anyway, and this was some of the only actual hard data I've ever seen properly testing the hypothesis.

Fortnite should undoubtedly be a game that favors KB+M in theory because the majority of encounters at a high level result in hectic, close-quarter building chess matches where the players are constantly whipping around in all directions while following their opponent. Battles are decided by manipulated attempts to get above, below, behind, etc. That's the theory, anyway. When it comes to games where longer kills are more common it isn't clear.

What a silly, disproportionate declaration in response to the data.

Footage of Madmick in action.

Don't strawman me.

I've been a skeptic who is compelled by data, not theory. It frustrates me that after two decades nobody has taken the time to just throw these groups in a pit, and bring out a macro set of data. It's such an interesting question, with so many different potential scenarios to be analyzed, and nobody ever earnestly investigates it. Instead, we get bizarre conclusions that the "debate is settled" without any transparency for why Riot made the decision they made.

PC gamers tend to be older, more hardcore, and belonging to a more competitive culture. They love to hack inputs and rain chaos on hapless console kiddies. I just want to see someone really bite into this with proper scientific controls.

Don't strawman me.

I've been a skeptic who is compelled by data, not theory. It frustrates me that after two decades nobody has taken the time to just throw these groups in a pit, and bring out a macro set of data. It's such an interesting question, with so many different potential scenarios to be analyzed, and nobody ever earnestly investigates it. Instead, we get bizarre conclusions that the "debate is settled" without any transparency for why Riot made the decision they made.

PC gamers tend to be older, more hardcore, and belonging to a more competitive culture. They love to hack inputs and rain chaos on hapless console kiddies. I just want to see someone really bite into this with proper scientific controls.

Madmick I used to play counterstrike at a pretty high level during 1.6. My good buddies team won the Eswc in 2005. I think that any game that requires precision and has fairly mobile gameplay of the people you are trying to play against it would legit be painful to watch a controller team vs a MK team.

The point shots you can hit on a MK at that level of play are out of this world. You can head tap multiple entries on defense or hit quick scopes that you aren’t even close to setup for entirely across your screen. Mechanically these type of things just aren’t doable with a controller. You just don’t have snap control due to how a joystick controls over distance. If I were to imagine an analogy I would think of a professional sports team vs a high school team by look. Controller based play has all the same elements it just plays very slow.

I like data too but some things are pretty easy to identify.

Madmick I used to play counterstrike at a pretty high level during 1.6. My good buddies team won the Eswc in 2005. I think that any game that requires precision and has fairly mobile gameplay of the people you are trying to play against it would legit be painful to watch a controller team vs a MK team.

The point shots you can hit on a MK at that level of play are out of this world. You can head tap multiple entries on defense or hit quick scopes that you aren’t even close to setup for entirely across your screen. Mechanically these type of things just aren’t doable with a controller. You just don’t have snap control due to how a joystick controls over distance. If I were to imagine an analogy I would think of a professional sports team vs a high school team by look. Controller based play has all the same elements it just plays very slow.

I like data too but some things are pretty easy to identify.
It's a pointless debate to me until it is quantified. Two decades later and we're just running in place.

Never seen a mouse and keyboard player win a high stakes FGC tournament

<BronTroll1>

yes I know you said FPS

I'd probably care about that if i looked like this.

latest

Quake 3 temporarily had crossplay when it came out on DC. Boy that sure ended fast.

I've seen anyone make that argument.

Just the fact a controller can't rotate a player's view anywhere close the speed of a mouse kills any debate. Forget the accuracy issues.

The only hope a controller would have is having giving console players auto-aim GTA style.... and even that wouldn't be enough.
There's been a few controller fortnite players that carve up online.

But yea keyboard > control for this game.

Won a few games on pc playing ps4 but the building difference isn't even fair lmao.

Settles?

There never was a debate as to which one is more competitive. However, some people just have a preference of one over the other.

I want to chill on my couch or a comfy chair when i game not hunch over a keyboard getting scoliosis

There's been a few controller fortnite players that carve up online.

But yea keyboard > control for this game.

Won a few games on pc playing ps4 but the building difference isn't even fair lmao.
That's the keyboard advantage, though, when the history of this debate has always focused on joystick vs. mouse.

Back