Forum preservation thread

You guys had trouble scoring Choojy and Rittewada? Thats one of the easier to follow scores I've seen recently. Great fight too.

You guys had trouble scoring Choojy and Rittewada? Thats one of the easier to follow scores I've seen recently. Great fight too.
Alot of people seemed to disagree. I can see how Chujaroen got the win but i could also see Littewada getting the win. Tough call

wolf-howling1.jpg

Not a popular opinion around here, but above the waist kickboxing, during it's heyday was way better than "k1 rules" kickboxing has ever been. Way deeper talent pool, much better athletes, more weight classes, more exciting fights and aesthetically way better to watch. The fact that they didn't have k1's toxic relationship with holding allowed for way better sustained infighting, so that the flow of the fights was rarely disrupted like you constantly see in k1 rules. You also got to see way more slick outfighting skill and all around fight acumen than you do in kickboxing and the judges and commentators actually appreciated this, unlike in kickboxing which seems to think that crude power brawling exchanges equals great boxing technique and where they almost always give the advantage to the pressure fighter. I've really only started watching above the waist kickboxing seriously just recently so I can't claim to be as well versed in it as some, but I've seen enough to conclude that it's definitely gotten an unfair bad rap.

Last edited:
Not a popular opinion around here, but above the waist kickboxing, during it's heyday was way better than "k1 rules" kickboxing has ever been. Way deeper talent pool, much better athletes, more weight classes, more exciting fights and aesthetically way better to watch. The fact that they didn't have k1's toxic relationship with holding allowed for way better sustained infighting, so that the flow of the fights was rarely disrupted like you constantly see in k1 rules. You also got to see way more slick outfighting skill and all around fight acumen than you do in kickboxing and the judges and commentators actually appreciated this, unlike in kickboxing which seems to think that crude power brawling exchanges equals great boxing technique and where they almost always give the advantage to the pressure fighter. I've really only started watching above the waist kickboxing seriously just recently so I can't claim to be as well versed in it as some, but I've seen enough to conclude that it's definitely gotten an unfair bad rap.

Perhaps, i don't question nor agree with that but i still think K-1 style rules are better than long pants kickboxing. I think muay thai in the 80's-90's was the best kickfighting ruleset and scoring with the best fighters.

I'd prefer MX muay Xtreme type of rules with the best "kickfighters" from all around the world

I'd prefer MX muay Xtreme type of rules with the best "kickfighters" from all arounf the world
I would generally be opposed to muay thai bouts which aren't 5 rounds, it doesn't give the fight enough opportunity to unfold. More than 3 rounds allows for much greater potential for swings in momentum. I also don't think that the 4 ounce mma gloves really add anything to the mix, you can take them or leave them.

If you just want to see fighter fight more aggressively or at a faster pace or whatever you could, in theory, still have that without all the gimmicky trappings of mx muay thai rules.

I would generally be opposed to muay thai bouts which aren't 5 rounds, it doesn't give the fight enough opportunity to unfold. More than 3 rounds allows for much greater potential for swings in momentum. I also don't think that the 4 ounce mma gloves really add anything to the mix, you can take them or leave them.

If you just want to see fighter fight more aggressively or at a faster pace or whatever you could, in theory, still have that without all the gimmicky trappings of mx muay thai rules.
I forgot to add that it should be 5 rounds. I don't like 3 round fights.

However i like fights that aren't affected by gambling and the smaller gloves make it harder to use the gloves as shields. Glory is horrible with the huge gloves sometimes. Muay thai not as much generally but still less dynamic than with smaller gloves

Mx also, like thai fight and MAX, breaks up the clinches too quickly when there really isn't any need to. The fighters aren't under the same pressure that they are in the stadiums to clinch, so there really isn't any point to trying to limit the length of the clinching.

To be honest i haven't watched alot of MX because the fights are low level so maybe you're right about that but i like the concept

I forgot to add that it should be 5 rounds. I don't like 3 round fights.

However i like fights that aren't affected by gambling and the smaller gloves make it harder to use the gloves as shields. Glory is horrible with the huge gloves sometimes. Muay thai not as much generally but still less dynamic than with smaller gloves
I think you should just say golden era muay thai, instead of mx. Those fight had I think 4 or 5 ounce boxing gloves and the influence of the gamblers was far less strong.

The clinch controversy in K-1 style is because a lot of nak muays compete. I remember when Sagat fought Cumingham there was some controversial clinch bs which I think gave Sagat a point deduction.

It's come to my attention that combat sports is in urgent need of more GIF and video fight/fighter examination.

It's come to my attention that combat sports is in urgent need of more GIF and video fight/fighter examination.

We need more videos breaking down the mental aspect of fighting too. Mindsmash went into great detail about how Tenshin Nasukawa has an unbreakable mentality and precise focus, it's why he beat the lumpinee champion at only 18 years of age. It's one aspect of the game that muay thai fighters haven't caught up on.

I mean do you think this guy could withstand the mental barrage of someone like McGregor or Dominick Cruz

17457430_277566539352887_9137593300218593383_n.jpg

Last edited:
The last time Yamato vs. Noiri fought was a slugfest, but under muay thai rules. great to see they finally rematch.

Did the kickboxing world view this as a failure to transition to muay thai?

Noiri was banned from most of kickboxing at the time, so I think he had bigger problems to deal with.

What does this have to do with my question?

I just find it interesting that when a Thai loses in kickboxing the story becomes about how they lack the skills needed, or what they need to do to properly "transition." All I'm wondering is if this works in both directions.

What does this have to do with my question?

I just find it interesting that when a Thai loses in kickboxing the story becomes about how they lack the skills needed, or what they need to do to properly "transition." All I'm wondering is if this works in both directions.
Everyone know kickboxers can't compete with muay thai fighters in their own game. It's a general thing so fights like the one in the video aren't spectacular. Muay thai fighters ion the other hand do well in kickboxing generally but some have struggled a bit

Everyone know kickboxers can't compete with muay thai fighters in their own game. It's a general thing so fights like the one in the video aren't spectacular. Muay thai fighters ion the other hand do well in kickboxing generally but some have struggled a bit

This would mean kickboxing/mt fans view kickboxing as inferior. Considering kickboxing is obviously more popular and closely followed, I don't see that as true.

This would mean kickboxing/mt fans view kickboxing as inferior. Considering kickboxing is obviously more popular and closely followed, I don't see that as true.
Do we have to have this same arguement detailing the difference in level of accessibility for the 100th time?

Popularity isn't exactly an indicator of quality.

Back