Forum preservation thread

This would mean kickboxing/mt fans view kickboxing as inferior. Considering kickboxing is obviously more popular and closely followed, I don't see that as true.
Kickboxing fans know that kickboxers are fucked once they get in the clinch. That might also be the reason they hate the clinch so much.

I thought the forum preservation thread was a lot older than April.

Do we have to have this same arguement detailing the difference in level of accessibility for the 100th time?

Popularity isn't exactly an indicator of quality.

muay thai is more accessible than kickboxing.

Any thoughts on my thread bump?

muay thai is more accessible than kickboxing.

Any thoughts on my thread bump?
Yes having 5 different guys with the same exact unpronouncable fight name is very digestible to a Western audience. The general public has zero awareness of the stadium scene. That is just the fact of the matter, and its not their fault.

If you are referring specifically to this forum and not the general public, there is a decent amount of people here that do follow the scene closely. My issue with it is that its like watching a TV series like Lost for example. If you don't stay on top of it with the episodes and miss 5 episodes you are fucking lost. And I use Lost as an example as it can be confusing to begin with.

In regards to your bump, there just isn't a trend of Kickboxers going into Muay Thai in this day and age to really spark much conversation on the subject, but I think it's pretty universally agreed upon here that most Kickboxers would get murked in Muay Thai due to not being rescued out of clinch situations and the addition of elbows becoming a factor. It's a different sport and requires a different skillset, just like Kickboxing does. So ya, if a Kick boxer does attempt it and fails then he would have "failed to make the transition".

Gokhan Saki was getting murked in the clinch by a midlevel MMA guy, I don't think any hardcore fan thinks that kickboxers would walk into MT and have success at the highest level. But captivating the greater public is all about aesthetics. Always has been, always will be.

Well

I've followed muay thai very closely at some periods of my life. Not only stadium muay thai but also non-stadium muay thai. Today, i'm just very busy, i don't even watch my favourite youtube subscriptions at all. I used to get those facebook pages posting live streams of videos but they don't appear to be doing it anymore. Following muay thai is a bit too time consuming at this point. My main source is this forum and Siam Fight News on facebook.I love watching Sangmanee, Superlek, Muangthai, Yodlekphet, Panpayak, Superbank, Gaonar, Saeksan, Pet U Thong, Kulabdam, Rambo, Yodpanomrung etc but there are so many new ones that i still am not familiar about. Sometimes i see videos of newer fighters and i don't even know who is who.

So yes i'd say muay thai is easily accesible but not very easy to follow for someone that is busy with day to day life. In the end of the day, what i find most exciting is not to watch trough 10 muay thai fights on SMMTV every day, but rather to sit back and enjoy some live thrilling fights with fighters that i'm familiar with. Top King and Glory fullfill this to a certain point and maybe even Kunlun will in the future. The problem with Top King is the fights are only 3 rounds and the matchups aren't even so you already know who is going to win. I'd prefer to see the best vs the best. Problem with Glory is they have some good fights, but i don't like paying for SFS and Glory XX separately, and in the end only watch one or two good fights in each. How Kunlun fight does remains to be seen. I wish KO would have live streams, that'd be pretty cool. Yes the skill level is much higher in muay thai and i prefer muay thai rules but overall kickboxing just puts out a product that is more convenient.

Well

I've followed muay thai very closely at some periods of my life. Not only stadium muay thai but also non-stadium muay thai. Today, i'm just very busy, i don't even watch my favourite youtube subscriptions at all. I used to get those facebook pages posting live streams of videos but they don't appear to be doing it anymore. Following muay thai is a bit too time consuming at this point. My main source is this forum and Siam Fight News on facebook.I love watching Sangmanee, Superlek, Muangthai, Yodlekphet, Panpayak, Superbank, Gaonar, Saeksan, Pet U Thong, Kulabdam, Rambo, Yodpanomrung etc but there are so many new ones that i still am not familiar about. Sometimes i see videos of newer fighters and i don't even know who is who.

So yes i'd say muay thai is easily accesible but not very easy to follow for someone that is busy with day to day life. In the end of the day, what i find most exciting is not to watch trough 10 muay thai fights on SMMTV every day, but rather to sit back and enjoy some live thrilling fights with fighters that i'm familiar with. Top King and Glory fullfill this to a certain point and maybe even Kunlun will in the future. The problem with Top King is the fights are only 3 rounds and the matchups aren't even so you already know who is going to win. I'd prefer to see the best vs the best. Problem with Glory is they have some good fights, but i don't like paying for SFS and Glory XX separately, and in the end only watch one or two good fights in each. How Kunlun fight does remains to be seen. I wish KO would have live streams, that'd be pretty cool. Yes the skill level is much higher in muay thai and i prefer muay thai rules but overall kickboxing just puts out a product that is more convenient.
Yeah, I was really busy the past few months and I feel like I've forgotten anything I once knew about Muay Thai. Hasn't made me desperate enough to sit through a glory card, but saying it's easy to follow just because the fights are on youtube isn't telling the whole story.

Get on the muay xtreme train, they upload all their events on youtube in good quality and the fights whilst not being particularly high level are always wars. I need to get back into it myself.

Get on the muay xtreme train, they upload all their events on youtube in good quality and the fights whilst not being particularly high level are always wars. I need to get back into it myself.
Too low quality of fights for my taste and i don't know most of the fighters.

i dunno how the hell you guys know so much and stay on top of all the fights going on. It reminds me of baseball fans that can quote their favorite guys batting average or something. Maybe im self centered but I really dont watch a whole lot of fights, I spend the majority of my time training, and the stuff i do watch, is on youtube, and is usually me just looking to learn new things, or improve myself somehow. not that watching fights cant do those things.

and as far as muay thai not being popular in america, yeah these damn americans cant even say moo tai....theres no way they can say or relate to this guy. most of the americans dont even know what lumpinee stadium is.

Dejdamrong Sor
Amnuaysirichoke

i dunno how the hell you guys know so much and stay on top of all the fights going on. It reminds me of baseball fans that can quote their favorite guys batting average or something. Maybe im self centered but I really dont watch a whole lot of fights, I spend the majority of my time training, and the stuff i do watch, is on youtube, and is usually me just looking to learn new things, or improve myself somehow. not that watching fights cant do those things.

and as far as muay thai not being popular in america, yeah these damn americans cant even say moo tai....theres no way they can say or relate to this guy. most of the americans dont even know what lumpinee stadium is.

Dejdamrong Sor
Amnuaysirichoke

Follow siam fight news on facebook, it'll keep you updated without having to watch hours of footage.

Edit: I'd also recommend this guy's videos for some of the old school legends from the 90s https://www.youtube.com/user/TheSiamScholar/videos

Last edited:
Too low quality of fights for my taste and i don't know most of the fighters.

Channel 7 is coming out soon with an app that lets you watch live with english commentary, forgot to mention that.

Channel 7 is coming out soon with an app that lets you watch live with english commentary, forgot to mention that.

Let us know when it's out in case we forget about it or miss it.

Kickboxing fans know that kickboxers are fucked once they get in the clinch. That might also be the reason they hate the clinch so much.

Or maybe they hate it because fighters tend to abuse it just to get the fight reset. Grab your opponent, referee goes "STOP, BREAK", and boom just like that the fight's reset.

I don't mind watching Kickboxing without clinch allowed, but the fighters still clinch anyway - they just don't do anything inside it and wait for the referee to break them apart - that's what pisses me off.

Or maybe they hate it because fighters tend to abuse it just to get the fight reset. Grab your opponent, referee goes "STOP, BREAK", and boom just like that the fight's reset.

I don't mind watching Kickboxing without clinch allowed, but the fighters still clinch anyway - they just don't do anything inside it and wait for the referee to break them apart - that's what pisses me off.

I agree and this in turn creates a bizarro environment where if you clinch and don't do anything it's acceptable but if you clinch and attack from there then you get a point deduction.

I agree and this in turn creates a bizarro environment where if you clinch and don't do anything it's acceptable but if you clinch and attack from there then you get a point deduction.

I guess an alternative would be to allow the clinch but the referee stops the clinch after 3 seconds regardless of what happens in those 3 seconds, so you're allowed to strike or throw your opponent as much as you like before the referee stops it after 3 seconds.

This would mean that there is no long clinching going on (which Glory wants to stay way from) and would give the fans more action instead of 2 guys constantly hugging each other for a reset. Potentially the fighters who use the clinch to get the fight reset could get punished by strikes or a throw from their opponent in the process.

Dejdamrong Sor
Amnuaysirichoke
Funny that you used him as an example, as I'm an American who follows boxing, MMA and kickboxing very closely but not the Thai stadium scene, and I could easily pick Dejdamrong out of a lineup because of his current MMA career in One Championship. Give me English commentary and betting from the comfort of my chair at home and I'm in.

Dude nobody cares that you think Umeno is better, your line of reasoning doesn't make sense though. You used MMAth, c'mon...

And nobody called you a sociopath. If anything you're just convoluting the discussion.

If nobody cared then nobody would've bothered reply. I did not use fight math to say Umeno was better than Noiri, I used fight math to get a response from him to see why he viewed Noiri as a better striker than Yamato.

Actually he did call a me a sociopath. He edited his post to make it appear that he was just messing around when calling Umeno a fraud because he had no answers for the evidence that showed otherwise.

Anyways, I watched a few of Urabe's fights; Umeno seems better than him as well. Too funny how @Karaev fan criticizes Umeno for his win-lose-win-lose (WHICH IS HOW MUAY THAI WORKS ) against Thais, but praises Urabe as a top 2 striker in Japan even after recently being turned into a zombie by Kongnapa (it's not Gonnapar), a fighter none of us knew about prior to him popping up in Japan and who gets these opportunities entirely because he's friends/teammates with Kaew.

Last edited:
Back