Forum preservation thread

A question: can Urabe's competition be analogues of Petmorakot, Saeksan, Singthongnoi, Yodlekpet, Muangthai, and Rotlek?

A question: can Urabe's competition be analogues of Petmorakot, Saeksan, Singthongnoi, Yodlekpet, Muangthai, and Rotlek?
Put them all in a ring together and find out.

I'm not into this whole ranking people and saying who's better. Have them fight. I think you are so stuck in the mindset that Thais are invincible which isn't always the case.

Again, I'm not inclined to debate these topics because I hate fighter rankings and saying one fighter is better than another without them ever fighting. I've seen that shit go south so many times in the past.

I just want to watch good exciting fights that's all I care about.

Urabe and his competition would probably mostly get wrecked by those guys under FTR.

Urabe and his competition would probably mostly win against those guys in K-1 rules.

Nothing new here, muay thai fighters are generally do better kickboxing than kickboxers do in muay thai.

My own subjective ranking would be

1) Tenshin
2) Genji
3) Noiri
4) Takeru
5) Urabe or Yamato

Not trying to take sides here, but to clarify the situation Karaev's "fraud" post was an ad extremum play on the idea of discrediting a fighter based on one win in an unfamiliar ruleset, rather than him actually thinking Umeno is a fraud. I can see how that could be hard to discern though as we are talking in text which is not the best for conveying sarcasm.

This would make sense if the post was limited to the part you bring up, but it wasn't. Oh, and fortunately I have a decent memory and already knew what he thought of Umeno.

Umeno is a choke artist. I have no confidence in his ability to pull off a win outside of Japan. Heck he's lost all his fights in Thailand since 2010 or something.

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/recent-fights-results-news-from-japan-ii.3232103/page-57

Last edited:
is this pure marketing or will Takeru be using excessive, unnecessary movement, sloppy kicks and the "switch cross" in his next K-1 bout?

This is total elitist hypocrisy. If someone said the opposite about kickboxers as opposed to mma fighters or muay Thai fighters then they would be ostracized. I should know. I've pointed out in the past that MMA and muay thai fighters have done quite well in kickboxing and that kickboxing standup is generally very overrated.

But everyone on here is expected to uphold the same hipster kickfighting values on pain of death. Everyone on here has to pretend that kickboxing and kickboxers are amazing and awesome and that the sport is not a joke. But throwing slights at MMA is perfectly permissible, because of the overwhelming groupthink. This forum is all about people "getting along" and avoiding all critical discussion or else they'll be branded a troll.

If MMA and MMA "standup" sucks then surely kickboxing and kickboxing "standup" doubly sucks.

is this pure marketing or will Takeru be using excessive, unnecessary movement, sloppy kicks and the "switch cross" in his next K-1 bout?

Takeru's stand up isn't good. He gets by on his chin and his power and the fact that he fights in division which doesn't even exist.

Say what you want Ludwig or Dillashaw, but don't act like they're going to ruin a guy who isn't even that impressive to begin with.

Kickboxing hipsters love to take stabs at the standup of mma fighters, but maybe they should look at their own sport, seeing as how the only thing kickboxers do is 'standup'. And yet they still manage to consistently be less competent at that than guys who have to juggle several other major skill sets.

Now it has all of the content and information as before, but without the trolling and that alone has made a big impact on arguments here. Everyone seems to get along and that was the goal.

Could you please elaborate on the context here? What do you mean when you say that "getting along" was always the goal? What does "getting along" even mean? And who's goal is this? Is someone a troll if they prevent people from "getting along"?

Takeru's stand up isn't good. He gets by on his chin and his power and the fact that he fights in division which doesn't even exist.

Say what you want Ludwig or Dillashaw, but don't act like they're going to ruin a guy who isn't even that impressive to begin with.

Kickboxing hipsters love to take stabs at the standup of mma fighters, but maybe they should look at their own sport, seeing as how the only thing kickboxers do is 'standup'. And yet they still manage to consistently be less competent at that than guys who have to juggle several other major skill sets.

that's very interesting but unfortunately you're reading way too much into my comment. I was just questioning what can a profesional kickboxer learn that'll be useful to him by training in the most mma-specific style of striking there is?

I did purposedly worded it like an asshole because I find Duane Ludwig just about the most annoying guy on earth.

also you're going on the most pointless posting spree I've ever seen on this forum. go chill and watch Glory.

that's very interesting but unfortunately you're reading way too much into my comment. I was just questioning what can a profesional kickboxer learn that'll be useful to him by training in the most mma-specific style of striking there is?

MMA fighters beat up kickboxers all the time with their "mma specific style".

And yet they still manage to consistently be less competent at that than guys who have to juggle several other major skill sets.

I've always been of the opinion that some mma fighters could do very well in kickboxing but i think you're exaggerating with this comment.

Edit: You always can't entirely write off Takeru because he relies on his chin when there are top thais like muangthai, seksan, suakim etc. that do the same thing.

I've always been of the opinion that some mma fighters could do very well in kickboxing but i think you're exaggerating with this comment.
How?

Every couple of years a decent MMA fighter comes into kickboxing and becomes one of the best fighters in the division. And this represents only the very smallest part of the MMA talent pool. What do you think kickboxings divisions would look like if there was a mass exodus of the best MMA talent into kickboxing?

Edit: You always can't entirely write off Takeru because he relies on his chin when there are top thais like muangthai, seksan, suakim etc. that do the same thing.

The point is that he might learn something training with Ludwig or at least wouldn't regress skill wise, since he mostly relies on his inherent attributes and isn't terribly skilled to begin with.

How?

Every couple of years a decent MMA fighter comes into kickboxing and becomes one of the best fighters in the division. And this represents only the very smallest part of the MMA talent pool. What do you think kickboxings divisions would look like if there was a mass exodus of the best MMA talent into kickboxing.

What examples are there of this? Overeem and Mousasi? Adamchuk did a bit of mma before kickboxing but I'm pretty sure that was before he moved to Mikes Gym.

What examples are there of this? Overeem and Mousasi? Adamchuk did a bit of mma before kickboxing but I'm pretty sure that was before he moved to Mikes Gym.
Daley and Jacoby. If you're being generous, then Thiago Silva will probably challenge for a title if he sticks with it. These are just recent guys, if you go back to the k1 days then there are quite a few more.

Daley and Jacoby. If you're being generous, then Thiago Silva will probably challenge for a title if he sticks with it. These are just recent guys, if you go back to the k1 days then there are quite a few more.

Jacoby has a 10-8 record in one of the thinnest kickboxing divisions. Daley beat Stetsurenko who's mostly a journeyman and aside from that has fought unknowns. In terms of consistent success against top quality competition the only mma fighter (from my memory anyway) that sticks out is Overeem.

Jacoby has a 10-8 record in one of the thinnest kickboxing divisions. Daley beat Stetsurenko who's mostly a journeyman and aside from that has fought unknowns. In terms of consistent success against top quality competition the only mma fighter (from my memory anyway) that sticks out is Overeem.
Schilt and Mighty Mo were both MMA fighters before they kickboxed. But the vast majority of MMA fighters don't kickbox and when they do they don't usually stick around for long, regardless of whether they have success or not. Daley was undefeated for example, but MMA pays way better.

many top mma strikers would do just fine in kickboxing given time to adjust. many wouldn't.

I'm sure Takeru took some things with him, at least what you can take with you in 2 weeks of training.

Back