Forum preservation thread

Could you please elaborate on the context here? What do you mean when you say that "getting along" was always the goal? What does "getting along" even mean? And who's goal is this? Is someone a troll if they prevent people from "getting along"?
Simple.

We used to have 20 page arguments in the past with a lot of flaming. We don't have that now. This goes well beyond before when you joined the forum...

I'm sure Takeru took some things with him, at least what you can take with you in 2 weeks of training.
And I'm sure he left some things with them too. I highly doubt Ludwig would fly him over to work with his UFC champion if his striking wasn't good as @jtwarwagon4life claims...

Didnt some random guy beat up the champ Yodpayak? Does it mean all of 63+ kg muay thai is a joke?

Of course i'm not being serious but that's the level of some of the arguments here

Last edited:
Schilt and Mighty Mo were both MMA fighters before they kickboxed. But the vast majority of MMA fighters don't kickbox and when they do they don't usually stick around for long, regardless of whether they have success or not. Daley was undefeated for example, but MMA pays way better.

Forgot about Schilt, he was doing kudo and full contact karate before he did mma though. He was always a striker that picked up some submission grappling (kudo has some grappling too but not enough to prepare for mma), similar to Bas Rutten.

There haven't been enough successful crossovers to claim that MMA striking is equal or better than kickboxing striking, in my opinion.

Coca is going out of his way to stand up for japanese fighters and jtwarwagon went on a spree defending the high quality of mma striking.

I think his point is that Genji should be held in higher regard than other Japanese fighters like Urabe or Takeru because he's consistently fought top thais at their own weight and done well in some cases. The argument against Genji is that he's lost a bunch of times and is 0-3 in thailand, the loss against Sakmongkol was particularly bad.

I think his point is that Genji should be held in higher regard than other Japanese fighters like Urabe or Takeru because he's consistently fought top thais at their own weight and done well in some cases. The argument against Genji is that he's lost a bunch of times and is 0-3 in thailand, the loss against Sakmongkol was particularly bad.

I even tend to agree but the way they're going about stuff in this argument makes it sound like it's a bunch of casuals. Clinging on to one given result and drawing absolute conclusions.

Forgot about Schilt, he was doing kudo and full contact karate before he did mma though. He was always a striker that picked up some submission grappling (kudo has some grappling too but not enough to prepare for mma), similar to Bas Rutten.

Whole lot of picking and choosing going on here. Guys like Garbrant and Barbooza have striking backgrounds are they not MMA fighters? Do we just discount the striking of every MMA fighter that did stand up previously. That's silly. It's called MMA, striking is part of the sport and there is nothing to preclude guys with striking backgrounds from entering the sport.

There haven't been enough successful crossovers to claim that MMA striking is equal or better than kickboxing striking, in my opinion.

And because MMA offers better money and incentives than kickboxing they often end up with certain high level strikers that slip through the cracks. Which in part accounts for why the mean level of striking in MMA is comparable to the level of striking in kickboxing. Which also accounts for why there aren't many crossovers. Hardly any good MMA fighters are even trying.

Last edited:
Didnt some random guy beat up the champ Yodpayak? Does it mean all of 63+ kg muay thai is a joke?

Of course i'm not being serious but that's the level of some of the arguments here
Muay thai over 65kg is a joke. That's obvious to anyone who follows the sports.

Although I'm not sure how Yodpayak losing means anything. He isn't a good fighter, even by the low standards of that division.

Last edited:
Coca is going out of his way to stand up for japanese fighters and jtwarwagon went on a spree defending the high quality of mma striking.
MMA striking isn't terribly high quality on the whole. Kickboxing "striking" is just vastly overrated.

Dekkers was like 2-20 when fighting in Thailand. Doesn't really mean anything.

The difference in competition is huge. Urabe fight in a division with like 5 other fighters, of whom he is not even the best! I will say it again if I have to say it a thousand times: the level of competition in kickboxing is garbage! And Urabe fights in one of it's worst divisions.

People should really appreciate Umeno more.

He's easily one of the best nonthais of the last 30 years or so. Probably one of the best ever.

If nobody cared then nobody would've bothered reply. I did not use fight math to say Umeno was better than Noiri, I used fight math to get a response from him to see why he viewed Noiri as a better striker than Yamato.
Also worth noting that Yamato was a nobody muay thai fighter before k1. His biggest moment was getting decapitated by Saenchai in under 2 minutes.

I think most posters on this forum understand that the Thai fighters don't get as much attention as they deserve and that English language media doesn't cover stadiums fights.

It seems like Mauy thai 2000, Mauy Ties and the Thailand sub forum are the only places one can find out about the best Mauy Thai fighters. And those sources don't really give much context. For example people post fight videos in the Thailand forum but often it is hard to tell who is who.

I mentioned this before but it would be great if instead of complaining about undeserving hype more threads or posts were made about specific fighters and what they accomplished and how they fight etc
These are some of the reasons I couldn't get into Muay Thai, past a very casual interest.

There's no coverage in English, few talk about it, hard to know who everyone is(partly to do with the fact that everyone has one, if not multiple pseudonyms) or what makes them unique or special as a fighter... it feels almost impenetrable as an English speaking foreigner.

There seem to be many new knowledgable posters which is nice to see

Is it really so surprising that MMA strikers find success against kickboxers? Kickboxing is inextricable from MMA striking. MMA fighters have easy access (directly and indirecty) to kickboxing knowledge. Hell, it's not uncommon for MMA fighters to be homegrown products of a kickboxer or a full-fledged kickboxing gym.

If Dillashaw were resolved to become a stadium champion at lightweight, then I wouldn't be surprised if - after only, say, two years at a decent gym - he did it.

Back