Francis Ford Copolla - great director or not?

Drain Bamage

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What's the consensus on Copolla around here?

Personally, I just dont really know

GOdfather 1 and 2? If he stopped right there hes one of the goats. But then he made Godfather 3 and a few other movies that dont rate so highly.

godfather & apocalypse now? i think you know the answer.

Great

It don't matter that he hasn't done much now, he was the man in the 70s, he made enough money and basically is retired living off his investments like his Francis Ford Coppola California Vineyard and winery which is open to the public he makes a couple million a year off that and enjoys relaxing daily living it up.

Coppolaintro-500x250.jpg

Hero-Francis-Ford-Coppola-Winery-Sonoma-Wine-Country-California-Travek.jpg

ffcw-share_main-m.png

Gift shop in his winery
VCW_SI_T1_SD%20Dirk_1280x642.jpg

He's great...
at sucking...
down wine...
which tatstes of plonk...
that was swallowed by angels...
who ejaculated ambrosia...
onto a manhole cover...
in Flavourtown.

I feel like if I said he wasn't I'd wake up with a horse head beside me

from all this films (just went through the wiki), i've only watched the rainmaker.

<Fedor23>

I think the Drain Bamage may have reached critical levels.

Whole thread is reeking of glue sniffers.

Coppola's Godfather part 1-The Conversation-Godfather part 2-Apocalypse now is the greatest Film streak outside of Stanley Kubrick..

Rumble Fish
Peggy sue got married
The Outsiders

All damn good Films

I tend to view him as a more extreme version of Ridley Scott, visionary film maker who shifted to a more workmanlike one.

The Godfather 1 & 2, The Conversation, Apoc Now and Rumble Fish are all classics for me, as I'v said previously I think Sherdog especially would love the latter if more here watched it, it does look like the kind of film were street poetry might be a risk but trust me it doesn't happen.

Last edited:
Yes absolutely. He directed the perfect adaptation of a book ever. The Godfather the film is far superior to the novel. Then he directed a sequel only 2 years later that many people enjoyed even more than the first. both won best picture.

In between those he directed one of the coolest political thrillers in The Conversation. I get chills thinking about "He would kill US if he got the chance"

Then Apocalypse Now...not my cup of tea, but I can't deny it's very well made film. I could only manage to watch it two times.

The Godfather Part III isn't bad. It's not great. It's not bad. If Winona Ryder had played Michael's daughter..and had Robert Duvall returned...it would have been so much better.

Plus anyone who can manage to work with Marlon Brando more than once is special lol

I think Brian DePalma is better.

He was great. But he isn’t anymore.

He's great...
at sucking...
down wine...
which tatstes of plonk...
that was swallowed by angels...
who ejaculated ambrosia...
onto a manhole cover...
in Flavourtown.

That's beautiful man

Back