Francis Ford Copolla - great director or not?

Ridiculous question.

All-time great director, with a short, but incredible prime/peak.

Godfather 1
Godfather 2
The Conversation
Apocalypse Now

These are straight up masterpieces. He's made a bunch of really strong films not at that level (Rumblefish, The Outsiders, Dracula, The Rain People, Peggy Sue Got Married). And he's made a lot of mediocre/poor films.

But his peak is probably better than anyone else's (even Scorsese, who was far more consistent).

Some great filmmakers have a limited amount of great films/stories in them. Orson Welles was like that as well.

I tend to view him as a more extreme version of Ridley Scott, visionary film maker who shifted to a more workmanlike one.

The Godfather 1 & 2, The Conversation, Apoc Now and Rumble Fish are all classics for me, as I'v said previously I think Sherdog especially would love the latter if more here watched it, it does look like the kind of film were street poetry might be a risk but trust me it doesn't happen.

For me, Ridley Scott is more of a great art director/cinematographer who sometimes lucked into great scripts. Coppola is a writer, so has a much more natural feel for constructing story than Scott.

For me, Ridley Scott is more of a great art director/cinematographer who sometimes lucked into great scripts. Coppola is a writer, so has a much more natural feel for constructing story than Scott.

I think you really see a shift in Scotts work after Blade Runner/Legend personally, he becomes much more a director for hire working from other peoples scripts. He might not have direct writing credits but I think if you listen to say David Peoples talk about Blade Runner I think its clear he was writing in order a lot of the time.

Last edited:
Oh imagine if Prometheus had a GREAT screenwriter...

but alas...Prometheus is a beautiful idiot....as is The Last Gallon.

If we take all directors at their peak, Coppola wins. In his prime, he was the best.

tumblr_ny8sk7hgk71ro2c2ro1_500.jpg

GF 1&2 are masterpieces, as is Apocalypse Now.

GF3 was crap and suffered from a horrendous casting decision, as did BS-Dracula, though Drac was still a fun movie imo.

Whole thread is reeking of glue sniffers.

Coppola's Godfather part 1-The Conversation-Godfather part 2-Apocalypse now is the greatest Film streak outside of Stanley Kubrick..

Rumble Fish
Peggy sue got married
The Outsiders

All damn good Films
Yup people have no clue about Coppola in the 70s, he was iconic.

conversation.gif

People overlook this absolutely fantastic movie all the time.

Coppola is a master director, some of you try so hard to be contrarian noobs it isn’t even funny.

Rumblefish was interesting. GF I and II are classic. I actually liked III a lot, some slight pacing issues aside.

Apocalypse Now I didnt really care for, give me Full Metal Jacket over it anyday. I probably just need to see it again.

A very good director who made a few poor films, too.

The anti-George Lucas really, who was not really a good director, but made an ATG.

He died in the Pilippineas back in the 70s.

Wasn't just a great director, but a great producer as well. Produced American Graffiti and THX 1138, so without him no Star Wars or Indiana Jones. Produced Koyaanisqatsi and Powaqqatsi so no Baraka or Samsara without him either.
People also forget he directed The Conversation, which was big at the awards shows too.

overrated. hes best movie is apocalypso now, solid start but then the movie starts to falling quickly and crashes hard. never finished the movie. godfather is for wannabes. off the top of my head i could probably name 15 better directors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back