Francis Ngannou's striking technique

MMAJim

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
A lot of people talking about Ngannou's striking being a big X-factor, but what do you actually think of it?

I'm interested to hear what the striking technicians here think? (especially vs Stipe)

From what i could see he has a very good kinetic chain and knows how to transfer his weight into his shots. Considering hes built more like Horsemeat overeem than big country id say that means danger for anyone getting hit by him. Havent seen a lot of his training but i know he did some boxing so im sure those hands are his favorite. Stipe aint no slouch though.

i dont get this hype he isnt tehcnical at al for a top level fighter and he isnt fast i dont see how he beats stipe unless he does something stupid hes only had barely 3 years training thats not long enough

i dont get this hype he isnt tehcnical at al for a top level fighter and he isnt fast i dont see how he beats stipe unless he does something stupid hes only had barely 3 years training thats not long enough

He's been training MMA just over four years, but before that he had been training boxing since he was young. Still, I do understand what you're saying, it could be too early for him.

He's been training MMA just over four years, but before that he had been training boxing since he was young. Still, I do understand what you're saying, it could be too early for him.

it doesnt show in his technique the lucky thing about fighting at hw is u fight alot of un athletic guys so skill isnt as important to get far but now he is fighting a bad man in stipe he has only beaten 1 good guy in overeem and reem isnt known for his punching or takedowns so tbh that wasnt a test for him

He may be overhyped, but I don't understand why you would say he's not technical or fast. He is pretty clearly a competent striker and very athletic.

He's very fast for a man his size. That is one of the main reasons he's as powerful as he is.

Wouldn't say he's not technical. He's definitely still a bit raw, but he shows improvement each time he fights. He controlled the range and pulled back beautifully against Overeem. Not to mention he's strong as an ox. I know Overeem is deflating more and more by each passing day, but the way he controlled him in the clinch was frightening. Completely shut down Overeems gameplan.

That said, he's been acting VERY cocky since the Overeem fight. It's getting to his head a little bit. If he's underestimating Stipe it's going to be a bad night for him. If Stipe can push the pace and make him go backwards, without getting knocked out, and take it deep into the 4th and 5th, it's his fight to win I think. Francis haven't gone the distance before and I'm sure his speed, confidence and even power will fade fast as the rounds go by.

If he can't get Stipe out of there he'll get frustrated and Stipe will test his heart. Then again, he might get the KO in the first.

@Sano

I can't see it go to the 4-5th round, specially if Stipe wants to stay on his feet... Only way they go the distance, is if Stipe lays and prays... if he is able to keep Ngannou down. I honestly cannot see Stipe avoiding a big connection for 3 rounds.

I am not convinced Ngannou hits harder than Hunt, JDS, Nelson, Overeem, or Arlovski. Any one of those guys can KO anyone on the planet, and Stipe beat them all.

Or either fighter could go out from a single punch in the first.

@Sano

I can't see it go to the 4-5th round, specially if Stipe wants to stay on his feet... Only way they go the distance, is if Stipe lays and prays... if he is able to keep Ngannou down. I honestly cannot see Stipe avoiding a big connection for 3 rounds.
That would be the perfect gameplan for Stipe. Pressure and volume but don't overcommit, stay away from the power, push Francis back against the cage and set up takedowns. Not to actually try to take him down, but to tire him out. Wait untill the 3rd after Francis starts gassing and he's not as dangerous anymore and get him to the ground and grind him out. GnP to victory 4th round.

By the looks of it though, it seems like Stipe wants to take a chance and actually engange in a standup fight (before going for the takedowns obviously). We'll see what happens, who knows. Maybe Stipe can catch him with a counter coming in.

I am not convinced Ngannou hits harder than Hunt, JDS, Nelson, Overeem, or Arlovski. Any one of those guys can KO anyone on the planet, and Stipe beat them all.

I think he does. It may just be my impression, but I feel he has a more powerful punch than JDS, Overeem and Arlovski, and that his strike are more explosive/fast than Hunt's and Nelson's. Plus he has a faking deceptive/long reach...

@Sano

We will see...
But again, my opinion is that if Stipe wants to stay on his feet, whatever his strategy is, he wont survive 3 rounds.

@Sano

We will see...
But again, my opinion is that if Stipe wants to stay on his feet, whatever his strategy is, he wont survive 3 rounds.
I know exactly what you mean. Francis is a scary dude. Fast, accurate, long ass reach, powerful, strong. I definitely think that if they exchange punches, Francis will come out on top. It's just that HW, and MMA in general, is so unpredictable. Also Stipe is the more proven fighter and eventhough Francis just had an amazing win, it was about as good as he can look. We'll have to see how he responds if he doesn't get Stipe out of there right away. Experience can be a big factor here.

I agree that Ngannou is still green, specially compared to Stipe. But Stipe gets tagged a lot on his feet, he has no good head movement. I cannot see him survive if that happens against Ngannou.
But as you said, its the HW, so anything can goes.

I don't know why, but I am not convinced that Stipe is that good. But i can't explain it. When you look at his resume, its impressive. But when i watch his fight...I don't know man, i feel like his getting lucky... Against JDS, against Overeem, against that stupid rush from Werdum...

I don't know why, but I am not convinced that Stipe is that good. But i can't explain it. When you look at his resume, its impressive. But when i watch his fight...I don't know man, i feel like his getting lucky... Against JDS, against Overeem, against that stupid rush from Werdum...

I know what you mean. He's got a head like a block of iron so I think he can afford more mistakes than some other fighters. If you have decent striking, good TDD, and a head made out of pig iron, that's a good recipe for success at HW.

He's got a head like a block of iron so I think he can afford more mistakes than some other fighters.

Even for that, I'm not so sure... He was dropped by Overeem, he was dropped by JDS, but they din't finish the job... That's why I feel he is lucky... Anyway, we will see in a week.

I agree that Ngannou is still green, specially compared to Stipe. But Stipe gets tagged a lot on his feet, he has no good head movement. I cannot see him survive if that happens against Ngannou.
But as you said, its the HW, so anything can goes.

Yeah, I was never a big fan of Stipe either, for a lot of the same reasons you list. Always thought his striking, and especially boxing, was overrated and his win streak seemed kinda fluky. I'm just holding off on the Francis hype a little bit, eventhough I've made threads about how impressive his improvements has been. I still think we need to see more from his to be sure. I also don't like how overconfident he has been since the Overeem fight.

Say what you will about Stipe, but he's found a way to win against the best HWs out there and he's defended the belt twice.

Anyway, I think we agree on most points!

I have only seen his fight against overeem. And overeem was begging for getting knocked out in that fight. So that fight told me nothing. Other then that the guy punches hard.

Ive seen quite a few training videos since then. Nothing there to point out really. The guy looks neither bad or like the next big thing.

So yeah.. I dont know. Big strong contender. Need to see more fights.

I have only seen his fight against overeem. And overeem was begging for getting knocked out in that fight. So that fight told me nothing. Other then that the guy punches hard.

Overeem fought like a complete moron, it was just embarrassing. :eek:

Well, that's no fun... PUNCHES ARE FOR LOSERS.
l9SGQZ.gif

Back