Francis Ngannou's striking technique

well thats what dumb casuals think idc wat they think they are the same people who think conor is the technical goat when he lives in a country of no wrestlers and would get taken down by average 155ers if theyd give him a guy who wrestled
These guys are mostly pro wrasslin fans that carried over.

They don't respect technical fighting, just want to see a guy bang. I found it pretty awesome how PBF can evade while on the ropes and even more, was his ability to get out of the corner at a blink of an eye. But thats a snooze fest to most apparantly.

Guy from work said to me once:

"Oh I'm a huge MMA fan, I just don't like it when it goes to the ground"

me:
"Yeah and hockey's boring when they're skating.

There's this sport I'm not sure if you heard of it, I think its called kickboxing..."

This guy didn't know organizations outside of UFC. Not even MMA fans, UFC fans.

Mendes was on roids and Conor was injured I believe.
ACL tear

These guys are mostly pro wrasslin fans that carried over.

They don't respect technical fighting, just want to see a guy bang. I found it pretty awesome how PBF can evade while on the ropes and even more, was his ability to get out of the corner at a blink of an eye. But thats a snooze fest to most apparantly.

Guy from work said to me once:

"Oh I'm a huge MMA fan, I just don't like it when it goes to the ground"

me:
"Yeah and hockey's boring when they're skating.

There's this sport I'm not sure if you heard of it, I think its called kickboxing..."

This guy didn't know organizations outside of UFC. Not even MMA fans, UFC fans.

ACL tear
What’s so technical with lay n pray and wall n stall? Grappling can be exciting but that fight wasn’t. Just because people didn’t enjoy that horrible fight, doesn’t mean they don’t appreciate grappling and tactics. A lot of fans like you have this notion that if other fans didn’t enjoy what you like, then they are just “Just Bleed” fans, and that is complete bullshit.

What’s so technical with lay n pray and wall n stall? Grappling can be exciting but that fight wasn’t. Just because people didn’t enjoy that horrible fight, doesn’t mean that don’t appreciate grappling and tactics. A lot of fans like you have this notion that if other fans didn’t enjoy what you like, then they are just “Just Bleed” fans, and that is complete bullshit.
If they haven't trained or competed, and they talk like that, they "just bleed" fans. I've yet to meet a fan of this to respect grappling that isn't a blast double or a clean submission.

Booing when wall stall with Lawler and Hendricks "Why doesn't he just hit him? Pussy".

Tyron stuffs all of Maia's attempts, and gives him a vicious uppercut on one of the attempts. "guy's not a fighter"

If they haven't trained or competed, and they talk like that, they "just bleed" fans. I've yet to meet a fan of this to respect grappling that isn't a blast double or a clean submission.

Booing when wall stall with Lawler and Hendricks "Why doesn't he just hit him? Pussy".

Tyron stuffs all of Maia's attempts, and gives him a vicious uppercut on one of the attempts. "guy's not a fighter"
So the criticism of fans that don’t train or compete are invalid? Their disapproval makes them “Just Bleed” fans? Does appreciating a boring fight of two gas out fighters with one of them in the dominant position not trying to finish his opponent make you feel a “real mma fan”

Get the fuck out with this elitist attitude.

So the criticism of fans that don’t train or compete are invalid? Their disapproval makes them “Just Bleed” fans? Does appreciating a boring fight of two gas out fighters with one of them in the dominant position not trying to finish his opponent make you feel a “real mma fan”

No elitist attitude, if someone is saying something completely off track, I'm gonna say what it is.

I was shocked how bad Ngannous boxing looked. Was the first full fight I watched with him.
As said he trains with world class boxing coaches and then this is the result?

Sure maybe he just had the wrong tactic at the beginning in forcing the ko but when this did not work and he gassed there was nothing to fall back on like defensive movement with a jab, short straight punches ,defensive footwork instead of his lunging hooks/uppercuts.

Matt Mitrione looks like Larry Holmes compared to Ngannou. Imo his talent is just not there besides his physical attributes and he is more of a Brett Rogers 2.0. That is enough in todays HW to get a title shot.

And he has no fallback skills if stand up doesnt work out. No great wrestling or bjj either. Last time I saw Dana this crushed that the champ won was at GSP vs. Hendricks. UFC hype machine went to extreme lenghts to promote Ngannou as next MMA Tyson and nearly completely ignored Stipe. Talk about karma ;)

Working with boxing trainers when you're a full time MMA fighter doesn't translate all that quickly or smoothly. I can't speak for his grappling, or his mentality towards the game, but there have been plenty of MMA fighters who work with boxing trainers and yet their boxing is so bad it's laughable. This is hardly uncommon. The fact that he can strategically time an uppercut is worlds beyond what the status quo are capable of.

Just sayin'.

Working with boxing trainers when you're a full time MMA fighter doesn't translate all that quickly or smoothly. I can't speak for his grappling, or his mentality towards the game, but there have been plenty of MMA fighters who work with boxing trainers and yet their boxing is so bad it's laughable. This is hardly uncommon. The fact that he can strategically time an uppercut is worlds beyond what the status quo are capable of.

Just sayin'.

I think in the gym, his striking is worlds apart from his peers but the pressure added to the wildness in the fight. He looked more uncoordinated and wild than he ever did in his past fights. Compare the Stipe fight to the Curtis Blaydes fight for example, he just looked like a dude trying to rush the finish.

He needs to get his ass to a proper wrestling based camp. That'll drastically improve his cardio, because if the fight is always standing he can go 2-3 rounds.

Liked the entire card but that last fight. This shit is exactly why I do not watch MMA. How a guy like Nganou or whatever his name is fighting for a belt really. He has worse cardio than me, wrestles worse than me and is loading every punch he trows... even Bob Sapp looked better back in the days.
This wasn't that good of a card even. If you liked most of it, then you should definitely watch more MMA. The main event was a tad boring, but Stipe had the right gameplan.

I was a bit surprised how none of the commentators mentioned how Stipe was badly rocked before shooting for the takedown at the end of the first round. Funny thing was that it looked like a tap from Francis and still it rocked him.

VERY impressed with how Stipe kept his composure and handled the pressure early. He has great fight IQ and is very mentally strong. Very skilled all around as well.
I think in the gym, his striking is worlds apart from his peers but the pressure added to the wildness in the fight. He looked more uncoordinated and wild than he ever did in his past fights. Compare the Stipe fight to the Curtis Blaydes fight for example, he just looked like a dude trying to rush the finish.

He needs to get his ass to a proper wrestling based camp. That'll drastically improve his cardio, because if the fight is always standing he can go 2-3 rounds.
Francis looked like shit. Seriously, as you said, it was like he had regressed back two or three fights. It was so obvious how much he was underestimating Stipe before the fight. Hype got to his head.

Just sayin'.

I think sometimes striking or grappling purists judge striking or grappling in MMA by their standards, not bearing in mind that MMA is an entirely different sport. John Danaher (from Danaher Death Squad) bought this point up in a recent JRE podcast, that world class wrestlers often struggle in MMA because the main area where wrestling helps in MMA is finishing the shot. The entry is entirely in MMA different due to different layers. The same could be applied to boxing/stand up in MMA.

Put any top boxer in the cage and with different threats i.e. takedowns/kicks, their boxing would look entirely different. Take Mayorga, Toney etc.

Or conversely, GSP trains with Roach and his jab is his entry to the takedown. While he's not throwing combos like Lomachenko a solid jab allows him to be one of the best MMA wrestlers in the game (if not the best). A lot of people may miss the subtle nuances.

It just takes competence of cross-training. It's not a flaw inherent in the sports individually. It's like trainin fighters of different styles. Each guy needs to do different things to make boxing work for them. All a competent trainer would need to know is what an MMA fighter needs to do or not.

Now, finding a trainer who understands this...

I kind of legit don't understand why MMA is popular. I understand boxing's flaws, but KB, --specifically pro MT rules --seems like exactly what most people want to see. Guys getting getting the fuck kneeds and elbowed and kicked out of each other with no gay grappling other than pretty throws.

I kind of legit don't understand why MMA is popular. I understand boxing's flaws, but KB, --specifically pro MT rules --seems like exactly what most people want to see. Guys getting getting the fuck kneeds and elbowed and kicked out of each other with no gay grappling other than pretty throws.
MMA = "real fighting"
puffy gloves = fake fighting

Anyone who believes MMA is a "real fight" hasn't seen just how terrible REAL fights actually are.

Full rules MT is very slow often witha lot of clinching. K-1 rules kickboxing is by far the most attractive for thre masses. The issue is that the structure of the sport is often amateurish. it takes some of the worst things of boxing and MMA and combines them.

Not all the kickboxers fight each other like in boxing yet it is run by organizations like in MMA so if you are in organization x you can't fight the guys from y. And the organizations are too small to have really a big % of the elite guys necessary to make big fights and they have very few shows like one every x months.

It's also often really corrup like boxing but actually worse. Boxing's mob affiliation has mostly ended many decades ago but the Dutch kickboxing scene is still strongly connected with crime even if probably less so than a few years ago.

Also there is no record keeping and with seemingly a ton of organizations that split the talent they have it's really have to follow the sport. If Wikipedia has the most complete and legit record keeping of your sport then something is going wrong.

Also the fights are a bit short. It makes for a higher pace but also doesn't produce a Ali vs Frazier and people can't just go through TV channels and stumble into a real war.

The only chance for kickboxing is if the structure changes. It either needs something as big as the UFC which for several year sis really hard or it needs to be like boxing where the organizations lose power and it's about the individual fighters

Full rules MT is very slow often witha lot of clinching. K-1 rules kickboxing is by far the most attractive for thre masses. The issue is that the structure of the sport is often amateurish. it takes some of the worst things of boxing and MMA and combines them.

Not all the kickboxers fight each other like in boxing yet it is run by organizations like in MMA so if you are in organization x you can't fight the guys from y. And the organizations are too small to have really a big % of the elite guys necessary to make big fights and they have very few shows like one every x months.

It's also often really corrup like boxing but actually worse. Boxing's mob affiliation has mostly ended many decades ago but the Dutch kickboxing scene is still strongly connected with crime even if probably less so than a few years ago.

Also there is no record keeping and with seemingly a ton of organizations that split the talent they have it's really have to follow the sport. If Wikipedia has the most complete and legit record keeping of your sport then something is going wrong.

Also the fights are a bit short. It makes for a higher pace but also doesn't produce a Ali vs Frazier and people can't just go through TV channels and stumble into a real war.

The only chance for kickboxing is if the structure changes. It either needs something as big as the UFC which for several year sis really hard or it needs to be like boxing where the organizations lose power and it's about the individual fighters

Good post thx.

Last edited:
I cannot accept "pro" athletes to gaz so badly after 2 minutes. Even if your gameplan is to go all out in the first round, you cannot have a cardio that bad... And been a HW is no excuse. His technique is terrible, made worst from the fatigue. But at least that is compensate by his explosiveness... for just 2 minutes.

Liked the entire card but that last fight. This shit is exactly why I do not watch MMA. How a guy like Nganou or whatever his name is fighting for a belt really. He has worse cardio than me, wrestles worse than me and is loading every punch he trows... even Bob Sapp looked better back in the days.

I agree with you that it's a shame seeing someone gas that bad after 1 round at such a high level, however you can't deny that their weight, the pressure that's involved, and the fact that grappling is mixed the striking on top of all the adrenaline isn't helping.

Ngannou hasn't been training in MMA for that long, and it showed that night where when he goes all out and he doesn't finish his opponent he has nothing left in the tank after and the little technique he has goes out the window.

It's quite similar to how Overeem used to fight before he turned into what people call "econoreem" where he can't just rely on pure power and aggression and going all out, because if their opponent somehow survives he won't have anything left in the tank after and either gets caught or dominated for the rest of the fight.

I think Ngannou and his camp will make the right adjustments to teach him to save energy instead of going all out in the beginning of the fight, and also work a lot more on his grappling.

MMA is popular because it's Western and they managed to get the "cool" factor as in everybody has heard of it. It's also more accessible on TV channels etc. now compared to MT which is difficult to follow for the average Joe. You also have all the meatheads who love seeing people fight in a cage with violent and bloody ground and pound.

MT would be a lot more popular if there was an easy way to watch the fights on TV or web streams with English commentary.

The problem with K-1 rules especially in Glory is when they don't allow the clinch and fighters go for an exchange and then grab hold of each other until the referee goes "break", separates them, and resets the fight again. This happens way too much in modern K-1 rules for it to really be appealing IMO. Having the referee getting involved every 15 seconds to reset the fight is really annoying. At least when clinching and throws are allowed it makes the fights somehow a lot more fluid.

Full MT rules is only slow in the first couple of rounds in the stadiums because of the gambling and culture, but most MT fights in international promotions are actually much more fast paced from the start.

What you're saying about KB being too short with only 3 rounds in non championship fights is exactly why MT out of the stadiums can be much more entertaining.

Last edited:

yes they are ignorant stupid fans who try to diss top level athletes who could murder there whole families lol its one thing to say someone had bad night ect but to make fun of them ect like most fat nba jersey wearing mma fans in the heavyweight forum here

kick boxings only 3x3 and guys arnt going hard moving fast like in mma 4oz gloves make the sport alotttt more explosive and adding takedowns ect im actually surprised some guys have as good of cardio as they do notice strikers dont have conditioning coaches come in there basic 5 miles n morning does there cardio fine i wish mma could be that way but its to hard on the body sadly

Just sayin'.

the striking has gotten alotttt better in past few years tbh since 2012 guys have greatly improved iv noticed even guys use to only throw a rear hand if it was as hard as they could now guys poke with there right hands alot more and tdd is crazy good now u dont see guys wrestle fucking anymore sadly

Back