Francis Ngannou's striking technique

I agree with you that it's a shame seeing someone gas that bad after 1 round at such a high level, however you can't deny that their weight, the pressure that's involved, and the fact that grappling is mixed the striking on top of all the adrenaline isn't helping.

Ngannou hasn't been training in MMA for that long, and it showed that night where when he goes all out and he doesn't finish his opponent he has nothing left in the tank after and the little technique he has goes out the window.

It's quite similar to how Overeem used to fight before he turned into what people call "econoreem" where he can't just rely on pure power and aggression and going all out, because if their opponent somehow survives he won't have anything left in the tank after and either gets caught or dominated for the rest of the fight.

I think Ngannou and his camp will make the right adjustments to teach him to save energy instead of going all out in the beginning of the fight, and also work a lot more on his grappling.

Overeem transformed to Econoreem because he had to lay of the hardcore stuff after his positive test. Ngannou was building mass even 2017 to at least annother 20-30lbs since Blaydes fight. Impossible natural ! And even before he bulked up.

Ngannnou right now ist exactly at Ueberngannou state like Reem back then.

however you can't deny that their weight, the pressure that's involved, and the fact that grappling is mixed the striking on top of all the adrenaline isn't helping.

I don't know man... The guy was out of it from the half of the first round. If it was late 2nd, mid 3rd, I would still be disappointed but ok. But now, it was over after 2 minutes... And we are not talking about an amateur who trains 3 times a week after a 9-5 job... This guy is a professional, supposedly fighting for the "elite" organization of MMA, and for the belt... It's the biggest day of your carrier... How can you not be prepared for it?

And I don't mean his skills. As you said, he doesn't train UFC that long. (5 years?) But your stamina/endurance should be on point. I cannot excuse it. Maybe I see it that way, because in MT, it's a disgrace to loose from been "too tired".
He was fighting for the belt of his art/sport, a place where everyone of us who trains and competes, dreamed to be... and that's what you do with this opportunity? Fack...

You loose because the other is better? No problem... because it was a bad night, or he just got lucky, or the judges were paid or whatever other reason? No problem... But don't go out like that... from a complete lack of stamina.

The only excuse I might accept, is the adrenaline dump. But it didn't seem to me that was it. I may be wrong, but from my experience it was not like that. I was slow, without energy, feet in a swamp, brain on a fog... But I was not out of breath like that.

For me it's more like a guy who is supposed to run for 10km/6 miles, but instead, sprints for 400m/400 yards, and then walks for the rest of the race trying to catch his breath...

Back